Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ordered in the nick of time, my procrastination nearly caught me out.
    TheTorment wrote: »
    Rang for my second pallet this morning.

Prices are going up on Monday due to weakness of euro. If you order today you get current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Still a great price plus 80c imo

Agreed Vicwatson.

I've a roaring fire burning it right now. Super heat. Super price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Agreed Vicwatson.

I've a roaring fire burning it right now. Super heat. Super price.

:eek::eek: at 11.08??

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

vicwatson wrote: »

K

Same here fire was relit about 8:30 am but there is a really cold north wind which would freeze the old house if we didn't have it going.

• Advertisement

K

Yep. Lit fire before I brought the dog for a walk around 7:30.

Was glad I did upon returning. There was an icy wind out!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Yep. Lit fire before I brought the dog for a walk around 7:30.

Was glad I did upon returning. There was an icy wind out!

Had the fire burning from 8am every day this week. Indicates how much we use, this deal has been a godsend! So very very pleased, thank you once again op and agreed, the 80c increase is 20€ per ton but tbh I was paying 19.90 per bag of Coal pre this deal so I still consider this a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Ye need to invest in a good jumper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

tennis12 wrote: »
    Had the fire burning from 8am every day this week. Indicates how much we use, this deal has been a godsend! So very very pleased, thank you once again op and agreed, the 80c increase is 20€ per ton but tbh I was paying 19.90 per bag of Coal pre this deal so I still consider this a great deal.
    You need to invest in new house

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys has anyone tried the smokeless ovoids from this crowd?

I currently use ecobrite and cosyglow gems (both also ovoids) but its very expensive down here at around 21 per 40kg bag

This crowd up north is selling their smokeless ovoids at 12.80 per bag but im just wondering if its any good

If anyone has used it please share your experience

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

K

Ours is roaring since 18th on november :pac: serves me right for buying a house on top of a hill .. spectacular views me aaarse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Guys has anyone tried the smokeless ovoids from this crowd?

I currently use ecobrite and cosyglow gems (both also ovoids) but its very expensive down here at around 21 per 40kg bag

This crowd up north is selling their smokeless ovoids at 12.80 per bag but im just wondering if its any good
    I'm interested in this too as I burn smokeless ovoids in an insert stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aero1974

Just wondering if anyone has got premium double and put them in stove

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

wait4me wrote: »
    I'm interested in this too as I burn smokeless ovoids in an insert stove.

I used smokeless ovoids before, €15 per 40kg locally.I took the plunge and got the Premium Coal from here for nearly half the price,burns grand and is actually giving me more heat,I mix it with timber for best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

zerks wrote: »
    I used smokeless ovoids before, €15 per 40kg locally.I took the plunge and got the Premium Coal from here for nearly half the price,burns grand and is actually giving me more heat,I mix it with timber for best results.

Not gone with this crowd (will do next season) but have experimented with polish and then ecobrite - when someone suggested ecobrite was better for a stove.

Perhaps it is better (i know there are concerns about just how hot a stove should become) but there are pluses and minuses.

The ecobrite lasts considerably longer. However, it's a b1tch to get started - and I'm finding those damned ovoids - with them being rounded - keep rolling out onto my carpeted floor. Furthermore, whilst they endure longer, the heat output is half what regular coal would give you.

my 2 cents..

whilst they endure longer, the heat output is half what regular coal would give you.
    my 2 cents..

The overall heat output is higher but over a much longer period at lower temperature. If you have a large enough stove its not a problem and your flue, stove and stove glass remain immaculate though.

moodrater wrote: »
    The overall heat output is higher but over a much longer period at lower temperature. If you have a large enough stove its not a problem and your flue, stove and stove glass remain immaculate though.
    Yes, I don't doubt that. I've got the smallest of stoves (stanley oisin) and with that, it can't produce the necessary output with ecobrite. I had thought exactly the same...ie. if I had a larger stove, it would probably be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ordered Friday evening delivered to Clare lunchtime today.

the heat output is half what regular coal would give you.

I also have a stanley oisin and when I bought it initially I tested just about every type of coal there is

Im my experience Ecobrite produced the best heat by far along with cosyglow gems. It also produced the least ash.

I have no problem getting it to light

I really want to hear from someone who has bought the smokeless ovoids from this crowd up north to see what its like as I would be saving around 7 euro per 40kg bag

Maybe if there is enough interest 2 or 3 of us could share a pallet between us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi

I am just finished the coal I got at the start of the month Jan ( went half with my mother ), I got 23 bags of polish and 2 slack. I wouldnt bother with the slack again as it didnt burn great..

This time I ordered the below

Champion Premium Coal 40kg x21
    Black Diamond Blend 40kg x2
    Smokeless Ovoids 40kg x2

I found the champion ok tbh but want to try out the other 2 this time, I will report back my findings at the end of the week..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

pm. wrote: »
    Hi

I am just finished the coal I got at the start of the month Jan ( went half with my mother ), I got 23 bags of polish and 2 slack. I wouldnt bother with the slack again as it didnt burn great..

This time I ordered the below

Champion Premium Coal 40kg x21
    Black Diamond Blend 40kg x2
    Smokeless Ovoids 40kg x2

I found the champion ok tbh but want to try out the other 2 this time, I will report back my findings at the end of the week..

Very interested to hear how you get on with the Smokeless Ovoids, so don't burn them last :)

I also have a stanley oisin and ...Im my experience Ecobrite produced the best heat by far
    If you mean the best heat in terms of pure termperature, then I disagree. It has greater longevity definitely - so heat output spread over a longer duration - but in terms of pure temperature at any given time, then that output at that time is the lesser when compared with polish.

Anyway - that's just my experience.

my3cents wrote: »
    Very interested to hear how you get on with the Smokeless Ovoids, so don't burn them last :)

Ha tell you what... I will burn them first

nice one mate, please be sure to post your results as im v interested in the ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Maybe if there is enough interest 2 or 3 of us could share a pallet between us?

Was thinking the same, dependent on people interested living close to each other though.

cathalj wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, dependent on people interested living close to each other though.

Ok lets just wait on pm to test the ovoids first, then we can go from there :)

If they're the really high carbon kind they're had to light put them on top of a lighting fire and give it some air.

I always have the front and back air vents open all the way on my stanley eirn to start the fire and just to be sure i also leave the bottom door a bit for 4/5 mins, with a couple of fire lighters and a handful of sticks that stove would burn stones :)

I hope to get the delivery tomorrow or wednesday as soon a i get it i will report back..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I always have the front and back air vents open all the way on my stanley eirn to start the fire and just to be sure i also leave the bottom door a bit for 4/5 mins, with a couple of fire lighters and a handful of sticks that stove would burn stones :)

I hope to get the delivery tomorrow or wednesday as soon a i get it i will report back..

Cheers, I have the Erin too and burn mostly Cosyglow with the odd Ecobrite, very interested to see how you get on...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

slave1 wrote: »
    Cheers, I have the Erin too and burn mostly Cosyglow with the odd Ecobrite, very interested to see how you get on...

I got a pallet 2 weeks ago. 15 bags of premium polish, 2 doubles and 4 each of Ovids and ClearFlame (both smokeless, clearflame is hot stuff).
    I said id like and share their facebook page so they knocked of the price of 2 bags and bill came to something like €204.

I have an Olymberyl Aidan stove, this is a big stove, can take 8+ kg of coal at a time, in an eve lighting at 4 we could go through 12kg (+2 logs of my own timber either side of fire to keep it well together and built up).
    This 12kg per day is costing me €3.17 incl delivery (26.4 cent a kg), my previous cosyglow was costing me €19.50 or 48.75 cent a kg (€5.85 pd).
    I am burning a bit more coal now because I can afford too.

For a large quantity coal user like me Kerosene at current prices is nearly better value than €20 euro bags of coal...
    €40quid on Kerosene at my last price of 59 cent is 68ltrs, in a week with a modern high efficiency burner that's a good bit of heat.

I mix mine, sounds like heartship but its not really.
    I fill 10 plastic buckets at a time, 1/2 with cheap polish, 1/4 with each of other two, these can just be emptied into house coal bucket as required, meaning the Mrs or anyone can do it if I am away.

Its working out great value for me and the mix works best, you would need to keep the air going under it, if you don't it will burn alright but will be left with more cinders in the morning..

Once fire gets lower at about 10pm I would almost fully open door and let it burn hot for the rest of the night, this reduces cinders by 50% or more. if this was not done could be taking out 1/5th of a bucket of cinders.

Advertisement