Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish History Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

Hi! I happened upon your podcasts from (I think) the Irish Story site, which I believe you also manage. You do a wonderful job with these podcast/broadcasts. I especially appreciate the podcast format, as I am not in Ireland, and so can't listen on the radio program.

Your choice of topics has been diverse and very interesting, and your guests are top notch writers and researchers. I have gone on to further reading from your presentations. In particular, your show on fiction writing led me to the novels of Kevin McCarthy, and I've read something by a number of your other panelists.

As interviewers, you guys are great! You are very knowledgeable about the subjects at hand, so can keep the conversation going in a substantial way, while being entertaining as well. For me, I enjoy getting different perspectives on subjects for which I have my own opinions. The latest podcast on the civil war was offered one such alternate perspective, and has me thinking a little differently about it. Likewise, the massacre at Phoenix Park podcast was a revelation to me.

So, great job!! You obviously have a passion for Irish history, and want to share it with others. I think the work you are doing--both with your web site and your podcasts--is a great resource from which researchers can launch themselves into various topics. One subject I would be interested in hearing a podcast about would be the history of the Irish language, which has always fascinated me.

So, that's my .02 cents as they say over here. I hope you continue to broadcast, because I will be there to download and listen as long as you do.

Take care! And cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Hi! I happened upon your podcasts from (I think) the Irish Story site, which I believe you also manage. You do a wonderful job with these podcast/broadcasts. I especially appreciate the podcast format, as I am not in Ireland, and so can't listen on the radio program.

Your choice of topics has been diverse and very interesting, and your guests are top notch writers and researchers. I have gone on to further reading from your presentations. In particular, your show on fiction writing led me to the novels of Kevin McCarthy, and I've read something by a number of your other panelists.

As interviewers, you guys are great! You are very knowledgeable about the subjects at hand, so can keep the conversation going in a substantial way, while being entertaining as well. For me, I enjoy getting different perspectives on subjects for which I have my own opinions. The latest podcast on the civil war was offered one such alternate perspective, and has me thinking a little differently about it. Likewise, the massacre at Phoenix Park podcast was a revelation to me.

So, great job!! You obviously have a passion for Irish history, and want to share it with others. I think the work you are doing--both with your web site and your podcasts--is a great resource from which researchers can launch themselves into various topics. One subject I would be interested in hearing a podcast about would be the history of the Irish language, which has always fascinated me.

So, that's my .02 cents as they say over here. I hope you continue to broadcast, because I will be there to download and listen as long as you do.

Take care! And cheers! :)

Thank you very much Parsley Queen. Your feedback means a lot and thank you for taking the time to write this message. My co - presenter John Dorney runs the Irish Story website and it's a big job to keep it updated so often. Funnily enough I've just uploaded a lecture from one of our previous contributors, Aidan Beatty, who we interviewed about the links between Zionism and Irish Nationalism.

https://archive.org/details/LanguageAndTheNationalistReturnToHistory The talk last night was in the Irish - Jewish Museum about the similarities between the Hebrew and Irish language revivals in Israel and Ireland.

Thanks again :-)

Advertisement