Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much is a piece of nelson pillars worth.

• 25-07-2013 3:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

I remember my late aunt having a piece if this In her house as she ran down and got a piece of it when it was bombed
    I have no idea what ever happened to it.

Any idea what she could of sold it for

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Unless you've got his head...in the words of Paul Daniels...'not a lot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I think the head is on display in the Dublin Library/Archives on Pearse Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

very hard to prove a lump of stone came from anywhere in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The Little Museum in Dublin have a small piece on display, another museum would probably take it off you but I'd say you'd be unlikely to get any money
    corktina wrote: »
    very hard to prove a lump of stone came from anywhere in particular

Quite easy for a geologist to tell that it was Gold Hill granite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I've got a piece of it too and I often wondered if it was worth anything. I reckon I will just keep it for novelty value so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Excuse the naiveity here,but,was there ever an attempt to change the statue at the top,so that our explosive-inclined citizens wouldn't have taken it upon themselves to destroy a piece of built history/heritage for the succeeding generations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I was six when the pillar was blown up so I don't remember it but it was a popular meeting place for Dubliners. The Nelson Pillar, the Hill of Howth tram and the Dublin Zoo - the three 'must sees' of Dublin back in the day - sadly only one survives. I never heard of any suggestion of an alternative to Nelson but it's an interesting thought.

I was six when the pillar was blown up so I don't remember it but it was a popular meeting place for Dubliners. The Nelson Pillar, the Hill of Howth tram and the Dublin Zoo - the three 'must sees' of Dublin back in the day - sadly only one survives. I never heard of any suggestion of an alternative to Nelson but it's an interesting thought.

Lots of strange things about it,if they had just replaced the statue on top,and in it's stead installed whomever was popular at the time,then people would have even droppen the "Nelson"name from it.Nobody today refers to our main street as Sackville street.

What I found most disturbing was the whole psychology behind it-unmandated terrorists/men of conscience took it upon themselves to bomb a public meeting place in the capital,a public monument(correct me if I am wrong)and thankfully are somewhat incompetent in it's demolition.

The tragedy being,that the City and Government,instead of being resilliant and refuse to be dictated to by masked unelected men and rebuilding the structure as an act of defiance and decourm,actually employ the army to finish the job for them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

There were some attempts to change the statue at different stage, and also to remove it. I will dig out some more information on this over weekend.

The pillar was for one thing a traffic hazard even back in the 19th century.
    A plan for Dublin, displayed in the Great Exhibition of 1853, provided for removal of the Pillar and The Irish Builder thought that its removal was the only sensible aspect of that plan. In 1876 Dublin Corporation discussed its removal and re-erection in one of the city squares but the debate fizzled out as members realised that they had no rights in the matter. The Pillar was vested in independent trustees by act of parliament, one of whom was another Arthur Guinness.
    The Pillar blocked traffic between Henry Street to Talbot Street, fouling up traffic on O’Connell Street itself. One way streets were far in the future and heavily laden drays determined the pace of city traffic. In 1881, Dublin’s major transport and distributing companies—Pickfords, Findlaters, Thomas Street Distillery, two major railway and carter companies and the ubiquitous Arthur Guinness—sponsored a bill in Westminster to permit movement of the Pillar to where the Parnell monument stands today. http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/nelsons-pillar/

The proposal to replace him saw Pearse being the figure remembered in his place:
    The underlying political significance of the removal of Nelson’s Pillar came to the fore
    during a Dublin Corporation debate in 1931 when some councillors pointed to the shame
    inherent in having “Nelson in the middle of the Capital city, while such Irishmen as Red Hugh
    O’Neill, Patrick Sarsfield, Brian Boru, and Wolfe Tone had no memorials. The deeds of such
    heroes should not be concealed from the youth of Ireland!” (Irish Press, 9th December 1931).
    Some years later in 1949 the authority passed a resolution “that the statue of Lord Nelson in
    O’Connell Street should be removed and replaced by that of Patrick Pearse” (Minutes of the
    Corporation of Dublin, (hereafter Minutes), 1948, no. 219). http://www.ucd.ie/gsi/pdf/34-2/sack-2.pdf

The second link in particular is a good read to anyone interested.

• Advertisement

crockholm wrote: »
    Excuse the naiveity here,but,was there ever an attempt to change the statue at the top,so that our explosive-inclined citizens wouldn't have taken it upon themselves to destroy a piece of built history/heritage for the succeeding generations?

There were various proposals to replace it with a patriot or (unsurprisingly) the Virgin Mary.

There were various proposals to replace it with a patriot or (unsurprisingly) the Virgin Mary.

Without wishing to be controversial I do not see why Nelson needed to be removed. Surely that his pillar was in the centre of Dublin in an independent Ireland was enough of a reminder that things change without the need to physically remove it. Seeing it a link to colonial times was a very pessimistic outlook when it could have been viewed as part of what had been, but was no more...

There were a couple of equestrian type statues that got de-plinthed/melted down or otherwise destroyed.
    One Irish based Queen Vic statue ended up in Sydney and another was buried in the grounds of UCC for many years.

Or St Patrick:D

Without wishing to be controversial I do not see why Nelson needed to be removed. Surely that his pillar was in the centre of Dublin in an independent Ireland was enough of a reminder that things change without the need to physically remove it. Seeing it a link to colonial times was a very pessimistic outlook when it could have been viewed as part of what had been, but was no more...

Whereas I agree with your sentiment,I can also appreciate the counterveiw which sadly resulted in the destruction of the monument.

The memory of British rule was much fresher to the minds of the perpetrators,as for myself it is only known from history books and oral family history. I still wish that they didn't do it,just the same as I wish the "big" houses were still standing,and in no way condone their actions,hypothetically speaking,I would judge their actions with more leniency than had said bombing taken place in the 90s.

Perhaps it could have been Dublins "Big Ben" or "Arc de'Triomphe",a world-wide city icon.

Kudos also to JBG1,for the more in-depth history and machinations surrounding the fate of the pillar,the same sort of intransigence and malaise that ultimately doomed the monument is alive and kicking and will certainly result in the future loss of more of our built heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Like it or not, Nelson, Queen Victoria, Oliver Cromwell, William the Conqueror, Henry VIII and all the other boys are part of Ireland's History. It beats me why anyone could think they could change anything by destroying something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

crockholm wrote: »
    Whereas I agree with your sentiment,I can also appreciate the counterveiw which sadly resulted in the destruction of the monument.

The memory of British rule was much fresher to the minds of the perpetrators,as for myself it is only known from history books and oral family history. I still wish that they didn't do it,just the same as I wish the "big" houses were still standing,and in no way condone their actions,hypothetically speaking,I would judge their actions with more leniency than had said bombing taken place in the 90s.

Perhaps it could have been Dublins "Big Ben" or "Arc de'Triomphe",a world-wide city icon.

It was fairly reckless to blow it up as was done. I guess if it wasn't removed it would have been part of the Dublin's tourist landscape but it is so like the other statue of Nelson in London it might not have been a unique sight.

robp wrote: »
    It was fairly reckless to blow it up as was done. I guess if it wasn't removed it would have been part of the Dublin's tourist landscape but it is so like the other statue of Nelson in London it might not have been a unique sight.

The Irish Army did more damage to surrounding buildings than 'the boys' in a hare-brained attempt to remove it with another blast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

The Irish Army did more damage to surrounding buildings than 'the boys' in a hare-brained attempt to remove it with another blast.

True lol. That is an amusing fact alright.

Though atleast the Irish army evacuated the place first. The IRA didn't.

robp wrote: »

It was older than the one in London,and to be fair-Trafalgar Square is one of Londons top tourist attractions.
    At no point would I argue that it wasn't reckless or myopic or idiotic or selfish,I really wish it was still there-irregardless of whomevers statue was on the podium.As jbg1 link showed, there was a lot of stalling,and a lot of bluster when it came to what should become of it,and it kept happening until some very undemocratic people decided that it didn't fit into their narrative of Irish history.

Like the poster corktina,it wouldn't bother me,as it is part of a shared history that cannot be either sanitized or demonized,and for those very reasons,I cannot understand the "modern Ireland" unwillingness to help preserve,if not,restore the houses associated with Wellington in Meath and Kitchener in Kerry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement