Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Irish Republic" flag.

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I read recently that the Irish Republic Flag (The green one with Irish Republic written on it) was
    ...made by Mary Shannon at the headquarters of the Irish Citizen Army in Liberty Hall."
    Trying to find out more about this Mary Shannon, but every mention of it on the internet it is this same identical one sentence over and over with no source.

A thread on dublin.ie says
    "It was said to have been made from the bedclothing of Laurence Ginnell. The words on the Irish Flag were painted on by Countess Markievicz, according to two seperate sources at the time."
    Anyone know any more about the making of the flag ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Wiki-

""Irish Republic" flag, flown over the General Post Office in Dublin during the Easter Rising in Ireland, 1916. It was made by Mary Shannon at the headquarters of the Irish Citizen Army in Liberty Hall. Captured by British troops after the surrender of the rebels, it was returned to Ireland by the British Government in 1966. It is now on display in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin"

http://www.crwflags.com -

"A green flag with the words Irish Republic on it. This image is of the 1916 flag based on my photo taken at the National Museum of Ireland, Dublin, of the flag flown from the GPO during the Easter rising 1916."

Ill expand it later, this is all i could get in a short timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jaygdee

I was delighted to see this on boards.ie. A local man who is a descendant of Mary Shannon asked me if I could find anything online to confirm that she made the flag. This is the first info. that I've found.
    Best of luck with the research Farcheal.

Advertisement