Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Revolution Papers"

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just a question about the title itself "The Revolution Papers".

Exactly what & when was the revolution? and I ask this in light of the fact that all this Revolution talk is very recent. Previously we had the Easter Rising, then we had the Anglo Irish war, then we had the Civil war. Now we have all this Revolution talk :cool:

I presume the Revolution Papres cover the whole period from 1916-1922.

Just for clarification . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

LordSutch wrote: »
    Just a question about the title itself "The Revolution Papers".

Exactly what & when was the revolution? and I ask this in light of the fact that all this Revolution talk is very recent. Previously we had the Easter Rising, then we had the Anglo Irish war, then we had the Civil war. Now we have all this Revolution talk :cool:

I presume the Revolution Papres cover the whole period from 1916-1922.

Just for clarification . . . .

I assume the " Revolutionary Period" is a neat little overall term fashionable with historians now.

• Interestingly enough in one of the newspapers, a cousin saw my great aunt's name winning an Irish dancing medal in 1916 and posted it on our family history FB page.
    Another cousin then posted a picture of her in her Irish dancing costume, while another cousin had the medal she won at the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I have stopped buying this crap bearly legible writing over priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Me too. I bought the first few and found it difficult to read. I think our ancestors had much better vision than we have today. (in more ways than one!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just think how much a full set will be worth on eBay in 2116. The paper will probably be more valuable for repulping than its content by then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just think how much a full set will be worth on eBay in 2116. The paper will probably be more valuable for repulping than its content by then. :D

will you be around then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Does anyone know when this series finishes up? I had thought it was a 52 part series but issue 53 came out this week with a preview for number 54

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Does anyone know when this series finishes up? I had thought it was a 52 part series but issue 53 came out this week with a preview for number 54

Each week is now going to cover one year starting from 1923 and finishing in 1949.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    Each week is now going to cover one year starting from 1923 and finishing in 1949.

What the fudge? 1949??
    I can see the logic of milking the WOI and CW upcoming centenaries, but going on to the 40s?

• Advertisement

What the fudge? 1949??
    I can see the logic of milking the WOI and CW upcoming centenaries, but going on to the 40s?

Maybe it was more popular than they thought it'd be? I doubt it though add a couple of newsagents I went to said there was a huge drop-off in readers

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

Is anyone else still getting these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I’m still collecting this nearly two years later. The stack is nearly two foot high now at this stage.
    I found the world war 2 editions really great especially the one with the handbook explaining all the quirks and customs of Irish people and society to American soldiers in the north. Really we have not changed much.
    The edition on the Catholic Church and World War Two revealed the story of father Hugh o flaherty of which I was ignorant prior to that.
    A couple of editions just came too fast and were just bought and added to the stack. I wonder will it go any further than 1949 in the new year. Lot of interesting h topics after that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

20silkcut wrote: »
    I’m still collecting this nearly two years later. The stack is nearly two foot high now at this stage.
    I found the world war 2 editions really great especially the one with the handbook explaining all the quirks and customs of Irish people and society to American soldiers in the north. Really we have not changed much.
    The edition on the Catholic Church and World War Two revealed the story of father Hugh o flaherty of which I was ignorant prior to that.
    A couple of editions just came too fast and were just bought and added to the stack. I wonder will it go any further than 1949 in the new year. Lot of interesting h topics after that too.

The troubles ones would be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irishplanet

Anyone else have difficulty finding the special edition on the Famine which was published yesterday, 5th December 2017? I asked in Eason's in Dundrum and they received no copies.

Anyone else have difficulty finding the special edition on the Famine which was published yesterday, 5th December 2017? I asked in Eason's in Dundrum and they received no copies.

I think that it isn't due out until Friday?

Oh, ok. The insert in the 100th issue gives the date of issue as 5th December. I'll keep an eye out so.

Thanks!

I asked in Eason today after a couple of places didn't have it. They said there was a delay this week and it should be in by either Friday or Monday.

I have just received an email from The Revolution Papers stating that the special Famine edition will be in the shops on Tuesday 12th December.

I picked it up in Eason in Galway today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

Anyone know if it's possible to order back issues of these?
    I've emailed but haven't received any reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Eire girl wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to order back issues of these?
    I've emailed but haven't received any reply.
    Likewise. And the site seems to be down now,

newg300 wrote: »
    Likewise. And the site seems to be down now,

I have extra copies ofva few issues of these and can see what I have

Advertisement