Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Central Heating Controller

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Cerco wrote: »
    The two options are : ( as per installation instructions)
    1. Use a recessed box as show in Wearb’s post above.
    2. Mount back plate directly to wall.

From my understanding, You cannot fit the backplate within a box, it is mounted outside the box to allow the control unit to sit down on the plate and make the connections.
    When plate is fitted directly to wall the connections are covered by the control unit itself which is mounted on the plate. If you use a surface mounted box then the control unit and connector plate will be proud of the wall presenting the hazard You cited of exposed connections.
    In addition the screw points on the plate would not line up with a double box.

Perhaps I am missing something here, apologies if I am.
    I've only ever worked on recessed ones, so from your mi's, you are most likely correct if surface mounting. Just didn't seem intuitive.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think the only way to be sure is to get a single surface mount box, the backplate and controL unit and try it out. I am only relying on memory from my own install. As I say I may be wrong here.
    It is hard to visualise it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Cerco wrote: »
    The two options are : ( as per installation instructions)
    1. Use a recessed box as show in Wearb’s post above.
    2. Mount back plate directly to wall.

From my understanding, You cannot fit the backplate within a box, it is mounted outside the box to allow the control unit to sit down on the plate and make the connections.
    When plate is fitted directly to wall the connections are covered by the control unit itself which is mounted on the plate. If you use a surface mounted box then the control unit and connector plate will be proud of the wall presenting the hazard You cited of exposed connections.
    In addition the screw points on the plate would not line up with a double box.

Perhaps I am missing something here, apologies if I am.

Ideally it should be mounted to a recessed box but the OP doesn't want to chase the wall. The conduit would need to be chased into the wall too.
    If you mount the back plate directly to the wall then how do you get the cables from the end of the conduit to the terminals on the back plate?

I originally thought a double surface mounted back box could work but now see that the back plate is designed to be screwed to a single back box.
    The problem with using a single back box is that half of the controller would have nothing behind it for support so a twin back box could be used instead.
    https://www.wesco.ie/products/p-vim1225.html?filter_set[]=30,430

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks for all the replies.
    From looking at that wiring, it's a job I'm trying to avoid.

It's good to get all these issues discussed to avoid me thinking if or when I get around to it.

Advertisement