Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 09:23   #46
Loomis
Registered User
 
Loomis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm in China, AMA View Post
Nope. Getting Chinese citizenship is next to impossible, so you will always need a visa that has to be renewed every year.
Something to point out here is that it's not like say America - being Chinese is about ethnicity, not citizenship. You will always be considered a foreigner irrespective of how much you've assimilated. Probably due to the country being closed off/homogenous for so long.
Heard a story of a guy who went there, studied Chinese in college, the history of the language, spoke and wrote fluently, knew traditional characters in addition to the simplified form. Routinely got quizzed by locals, and in one exchange was continually able to answer the guy who was clearly trying to catch him out. He basically knew the history of really obscure characters and in the end when the guy couldn't 'get' him, he resorted to "well, you'll still never be Chinese" and walked off.
Loomis is offline  
Advertisement
03-02-2020, 11:35   #47
RiseToMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,110
Great AMA considering the current status over there. So you are not in Wuhan but your city is also in self isolation? Is that the same in all Chinese Provinces? I ask as we inadvertently test products which are mainly made in China obviously around Chinese New Year things are very quiet but nothing has picked up except one box of products that arrived (with no prior notice which is usual). Most of our factories are based in Zhejiang but we have had no contact and are unsure if they are also in a lockdown situation
RiseToMe is offline  
03-02-2020, 15:25   #48
Trojan
Ask me about websites
 
Trojan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 15,646
Send a message via Skype™ to Trojan
How do locals view the environment & climate change?
Trojan is offline  
03-02-2020, 17:41   #49
greenttc
Registered User
 
greenttc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 869
I have a controversial kind of question that I hope does not come across as racist....

I lived in Australia for a while where there are large populations of Chinese people, i lived in Chinatown in Sydney for a good while. One thing that that really really stood out to me about the Chinese people was their sense of competitiveness or self preservation which i kind of just assumed came from living in a country with such a huge population.

To give an example, I might be in a shop and have picked up all I need and am heading straight for the till to pay but regularly I noticed a Chinese person speed up to get ahead of me in the queue. Or, I might be waiting for a lift in my apartment block, I would stand a normal distance back from the lift doors but when a Chinese person got to the lift after me they wouldn't stand beside me or behind me, instead they slotted themselves in between me and the lift door. This type of behaviour really stood out to me and I asked other westerners if they had noticed it to and they agreed that they had. It's almost like an ingrained mentality of needing to look out for yourself over others. Never bothered me at all but it has always stuck with me. Is this something that you have noticed in your time in China or is my description completely alien to you?

Again, I really hope I am not coming across as racist or anything, it is meant in the same way that we could say Irish people have a habit of apologising too much (saying sorry for everything), just a quirk of our nationality.
greenttc is offline  
Thanks from:
03-02-2020, 18:19   #50
Smiles35
Registered User
 
Smiles35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,404
I think there is something about the smell of milk and butter that Chinese people pick up on. They don't have dairy products in their diets. I heard that can actually be smelled from us.

Last edited by Smiles35; 03-02-2020 at 18:22.
Smiles35 is offline  
Advertisement
04-02-2020, 05:55   #51
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToMe View Post
Great AMA considering the current status over there. So you are not in Wuhan but your city is also in self isolation? Is that the same in all Chinese Provinces? I ask as we inadvertently test products which are mainly made in China obviously around Chinese New Year things are very quiet but nothing has picked up except one box of products that arrived (with no prior notice which is usual). Most of our factories are based in Zhejiang but we have had no contact and are unsure if they are also in a lockdown situation
Every city in China is in some state of self isolation as every province has at least 50 confirmed cases. I'm close enough to Hubei province, but that's in terms of the size of China, still a few hundred kilometers. To give you an idea, because of of my job I know people who live all across China, and their all in the same situation. Pretty much stuck in their apartment, venturing out to just get what they need. There are a number of apartment blocks in the city I'm in that have been quarantined i.e nobody is allowed in or out. They can get stuff delivered once a day, but that's it. This is because people who were confirmed to have been infected with the virus lived in these buildings. Everything is closed, apart from convenience stores, supermarkets and fruit/veg places. And not even all of them are open.

There's also a lot of people who live in China who are stuck abroad. Chinese new year is a popular time of year for people to go on holiday to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia etc. Indonesia and Vietnam have stopped all flights to and from China. Even those in the likes of Thailand were there is currently no ban on flights are been told by their employers to stay their longer. My girlfriend is currently stuck in Vietnam

Zhejiang, for some reason that I don't know, has the second highest number of confirmed cases. I've heard that Wenzhou is locked down, and that's a huge manufacturing city.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
How do locals view the environment & climate change?
Don't want to generalize, but most of the locals don't really care. There will be of course those that do care, but most don't. They introduced a recycling system last year, every apartment block has 4 bins outside; recyclable, kitchen waste, other waste and hazardous waste. They even have instructions stuck on the walls as to what exactly should be put in each one. Waste of time, everyone just throws random stuff into each bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenttc View Post
I have a controversial kind of question that I hope does not come across as racist....

I lived in Australia for a while where there are large populations of Chinese people, i lived in Chinatown in Sydney for a good while. One thing that that really really stood out to me about the Chinese people was their sense of competitiveness or self preservation which i kind of just assumed came from living in a country with such a huge population.

To give an example, I might be in a shop and have picked up all I need and am heading straight for the till to pay but regularly I noticed a Chinese person speed up to get ahead of me in the queue. Or, I might be waiting for a lift in my apartment block, I would stand a normal distance back from the lift doors but when a Chinese person got to the lift after me they wouldn't stand beside me or behind me, instead they slotted themselves in between me and the lift door. This type of behaviour really stood out to me and I asked other westerners if they had noticed it to and they agreed that they had. It's almost like an ingrained mentality of needing to look out for yourself over others. Never bothered me at all but it has always stuck with me. Is this something that you have noticed in your time in China or is my description completely alien to you?

Again, I really hope I am not coming across as racist or anything, it is meant in the same way that we could say Irish people have a habit of apologising too much (saying sorry for everything), just a quirk of our nationality.
Not racist at all, that is pretty much the norm here. There are plenty of Chinese people who will hold the door for you, and thank you if you do that for them. But equally as many that won't. Supermarkets are a good example, people will bump into you with their trolleys and just continue on without saying a word. The amount of times I've had a trolley stoved up my backside when queuing. Queuing is another one, you need to be on the ball or someone could just jump right in front of you. Many Chinese people have no patience for queuing. I don't put up with that kind of stuff anymore, but I see foreigners who are new to China not knowing what to do, it's pretty funny. In saying that, plenty of Chinese people will also call people out for skipping the queue. So like I said, it's not everyone but it is something that just seems to be part of the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgucc22 View Post
Is there a lot of crime there? I’m sure it probably varies city to city, but in general is there a lot of gang violence or street crime, muggings, burglaries compared to an average European or Irish city.
Crime is pretty much non-existent if you compare it to other countries. It's the safest country I've ever been to, only thing you have to take care with is crossing the road. Yes, crimes happen, but compared to the size of the population it's so small that the odds of you encountering it are extremely low. For most westerners visiting China, the main concern in places like Beijing is just not getting ripped off. You can walk down the street at 4am without a care in the world.
I'm in China, AMA is offline  
04-02-2020, 06:03   #52
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles35 View Post
I think there is something about the smell of milk and butter that Chinese people pick up on. They don't have dairy products in their diets. I heard that can actually be smelled from us.
Chinese people love milk, but don't really eat butter or cheese. There are whole aisles in the supermarkets of just milk, not all dairy but a decent amount. They also really like yogurt, and yogurt drinks. Two thirds of the refrigerated section is just yogurt.
I'm in China, AMA is offline  
04-02-2020, 09:36   #53
RiseToMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm in China, AMA View Post
Every city in China is in some state of self isolation as every province has at least 50 confirmed cases. I'm close enough to Hubei province, but that's in terms of the size of China, still a few hundred kilometers. To give you an idea, because of of my job I know people who live all across China, and their all in the same situation. Pretty much stuck in their apartment, venturing out to just get what they need. There are a number of apartment blocks in the city I'm in that have been quarantined i.e nobody is allowed in or out. They can get stuff delivered once a day, but that's it. This is because people who were confirmed to have been infected with the virus lived in these buildings. Everything is closed, apart from convenience stores, supermarkets and fruit/veg places. And not even all of them are open.

There's also a lot of people who live in China who are stuck abroad. Chinese new year is a popular time of year for people to go on holiday to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia etc. Indonesia and Vietnam have stopped all flights to and from China. Even those in the likes of Thailand were there is currently no ban on flights are been told by their employers to stay their longer. My girlfriend is currently stuck in Vietnam

Zhejiang, for some reason that I don't know, has the second highest number of confirmed cases. I've heard that Wenzhou is locked down, and that's a huge manufacturing city.

Thanks for this, unsurprisingly most of the manufacturers that products come through are based in Wenzhou. But on this side of the world there is no real list of locked down places but obviously, being locked down, it has been hard to tell of they are on extended New Year leave or locked down! And being that they are likely involuntarily closed there's no comms either. Appreciate it
RiseToMe is offline  
04-02-2020, 12:20   #54
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,538
As an Irishman living in China, do you think, if a highly-contagious virus was to hit Ireland, like the corona, that the Irish government would be able to contain the people like the Chinese have?

I can see the headlines now!
Gloomtastic! is online now  
Advertisement
04-02-2020, 13:19   #55
pc7
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,541
With the UK now advising citizens to get out of China, would you consider leaving now?
pc7 is offline  
04-02-2020, 14:54   #56
iamgroot
Registered User
 
iamgroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 34
Been living in China for the last 10 years. Was not so far from Wuhan last week.

Anyway, some - but by no means all - of the comments in this thread are a bit typical. lads

<snipped - off-topic>

Last edited by Boards.ie: Niamh; 04-02-2020 at 15:09.
iamgroot is offline  
04-02-2020, 15:08   #57
iamgroot
Registered User
 
iamgroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
Anyone who has a go at you for this doesn't have a notion how difficult the language is to learn for native English speakers. Mandarin (and Cantonese) are classified as Category V languages, meaning it takes roughly 88 weeks (2200 hours) of study (note study, not casual) to reach general proficiency.
Chinese is easy to learn if you go to total immersion. I am fully fluent in Chinese. and I also speak Dublish. It all ok lad category 5 or 6? I dont know
iamgroot is offline  
04-02-2020, 15:16   #58
iamgroot
Registered User
 
iamgroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
Something to point out here is that it's not like say America - being Chinese is about ethnicity, not citizenship. You will always be considered a foreigner irrespective of how much you've assimilated. Probably due to the country being closed off/homogenous for so long.
Heard a story of a guy who went there, studied Chinese in college, the history of the language, spoke and wrote fluently, knew traditional characters in addition to the simplified form. Routinely got quizzed by locals, and in one exchange was continually able to answer the guy who was clearly trying to catch him out. He basically knew the history of really obscure characters and in the end when the guy couldn't 'get' him, he resorted to "well, you'll still never be Chinese" and walked off.
Im in the process of naturalizing. I have to renounce my Air-ah citizenship. But I can claim it back again after I get Chinese citizenship.

Not joking, have to do it for the purposes of inheritance and work and travel rights.

Never had an argument with a Chinese person about an obscure character though, whats with that?

did have an argument with an ill informed langer in the pub though, it happens..

Last edited by iamgroot; 04-02-2020 at 15:20.
iamgroot is offline  
04-02-2020, 15:48   #59
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager
 
Boards.ie: Niamh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,991
MOD note:
iamgroot, if you don't have any questions for the OP please don't post. The AMA forum is different to others on the site in that this is just a Q&A with one person, I'm an Irishman in China, AMA. If you wanted to do an AMA about your own experiences, you can email me, niamh@boards.ie.
Boards.ie: Niamh is offline  
Thanks from:
04-02-2020, 16:24   #60
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToMe View Post
Thanks for this, unsurprisingly most of the manufacturers that products come through are based in Wenzhou. But on this side of the world there is no real list of locked down places but obviously, being locked down, it has been hard to tell of they are on extended New Year leave or locked down! And being that they are likely involuntarily closed there's no comms either. Appreciate it
Yeah Wenzhou made sense when you mentioned Zhejiang and products. I looked into it a little and from what I can tell Zhejiang, and Wenzhou in particular, had a large amount of people travelling back from Wuhan, or perhaps people from Wuhan travelling there. Either way, it seems that Wenzhou has a lot more restrictions that other cities currently. I'm not sure of it's quite 'locked down' to the extent that Wuhan is, but I'm would guess the places you deal with are involuntarily closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
As an Irishman living in China, do you think, if a highly-contagious virus was to hit Ireland, like the corona, that the Irish government would be able to contain the people like the Chinese have?

I can see the headlines now!
This is difficult to answer, I honestly don't know. I'm going to say no, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there's absolutely no chance we would be able to quarantine a city. If you take Dublin for example, there's just too many routes out. But the main thing is Irish people would just not let that happen. Secondly, I'm sure most people here have been to A&E at some stage. Unless you've had a heart attack or some other serious illness, due to staffing/facility issues you're gonna be waiting quite a few hours with the number of people that seek treatment on a daily basis. Now imagine 1000 patients in the space of week with respiratory issues, and those people will have to be isolated for 2 weeks. In terms of logistics, that's not a pleasant thought.

Then again, you really can't compare Dublin to cities in China in terms of number of people and how quickly/easily it would spread. I'm sure population density would have an effect, as well as other factors such as medical equipment, hygiene practices etc. So for those reasons, I really don't know. What I do know know is that the Irish government couldn't quarantine Dublin, which is the only city of comparable size (that's debatable) to Wuhan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc7 View Post
With the UK now advising citizens to get out of China, would you consider leaving now?
No I'm not considering leaving, at least not right now. I can work from home, so in that sense I'm fine. As mentioned, I also have a dog and it would take a least a couple months to get everything sorted for him to come home. I'd rather get infected with the corona virus than leave him behind. Plus my girlfriend is stranded in Vietnam.

Truth is, I'm not worried. But at the same time I'm also not stupid, I've been taking precautions, same as everyone else. Doing what I'm doing now the chances of me getting sick are slim to none. Funnily enough I actually had bronchitis just a few day before this s**t started. Thank christ I didn't get it just as this was starting...imagine
I'm in China, AMA is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search