Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-10-2019, 19:56   #1396
irishbucsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermacg View Post
From an Irish perspective, having a bigger pool of players should never been seen as a bad thing. Also, we have plenty of players who play for their provinces with no central contract, so maybe these players aren't quite the capitalists you make them out to be.
Why on earth would playing without a central contract mean that, totally irrelevant. It's not like the only people getting paid are those with central contracts

Having a bigger pool of players would be brilliant. But if the trade-off for that is our best players getting their heads turned then its really not worth it.
Advertisement
26-10-2019, 19:58   #1397
blinding

At least Owen Farrell can tell us ( Andy Farrell ) how England have become so good .
26-10-2019, 20:02   #1398
shootermacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinding View Post
At least Owen Farrell can tell us ( Andy Farrell ) how England have become so good .
It's simple really, they have a big pool of players and they all beat the crap out of each other until the cream rises to the top.
Thanks from:
26-10-2019, 20:08   #1399
shootermacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
Why on earth would playing without a central contract mean that, totally irrelevant.
Mean what Ireland having a bigger pool of players? It should be obvious, if you have 4 provinces and another 15 players playing outside Ireland, then you have more to pick from.

Isn't it the Irish team that generates the income anyway. The whole province thing became a bit of a farce when they stopped playing their first teams in the inter provincials.
26-10-2019, 20:09   #1400
connachta

The only Farrell deseving a talk tonight is Tom Farrell
Will be precisely 30 y.o and should be in RWC in 2023
TBF the rest of Connacht team looks light tonight, but Tom has a good chance to impress! Dillane may too.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2019, 20:30   #1401
irishbucsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermacg View Post
Mean what Ireland having a bigger pool of players? It should be obvious, if you have 4 provinces and another 15 players playing outside Ireland, then you have more to pick from.

Isn't it the Irish team that generates the income anyway. The whole province thing became a bit of a farce when they stopped playing their first teams in the inter provincials.
No, mean “they aren’t the capitalists” that I supposedly said they are
26-10-2019, 20:37   #1402
Clegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by connachta View Post
The only Farrell deseving a talk tonight is Tom Farrell
Will be precisely 30 y.o and should be in RWC in 2023
TBF the rest of Connacht team looks light tonight, but Tom has a good chance to impress! Dillane may too.
If Farrell could actually start for Connacht we might see him making extended Ireland squads. As it stands we're praying that Ringrose doesn't get injured. He's the only quality 13 in Ireland right now
26-10-2019, 20:41   #1403
Shefwedfan

I think Connacht players have a great chance this sesaon if they perform in the HC....

No matter how they play in the Pro 14, it is still the Pro 14
(2) thanks from:
26-10-2019, 20:45   #1404
Neil3030

Send a message via ICQ to Neil3030
It'll be interesting to see how England perform in the final, and whether they emptied the tank against NZ.

It's possibly hindsight biasing things, but Ireland just seem to be a level below NZ and Eng in terms of skill and athleticism. We're wiley grafters, and will always have it in our locker to beat these teams on our day when a few things go our way. But we simply don't have the speed, power and ball handling across the team that seems to now be the standard at the very top. And I don't think you can compensate; if you're not winning the collisions and moving the ball quickly into the very short-lived space that ensues, I don't think there's any way to consistently make up for that.

And sadly it just doesn't seem to be in our DNA. We have been a fairly homogenous gene pool until quite recently, not exactly tuned to produce power and size. Our tiny population also puts us at a distinct disadvantage.

It really doesn't look good going forward. The game is moving increasingly toward NFL levels of athleticism and attrition, and I fear we'll be left behind.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2019, 21:25   #1405

Just because the wc squad didn't do better in Japan doesn't mean they weren't nevertheless the best available. Disappointment is no grounds to just chop and change the squad or go picking Connacht players just because they are playing well for Connacht. Not picking on Connacht particularly, but in truth there isn't a single player there within range of displacing one of the 1st choice Japan 23. Debatably justified when Connacht the team was winning the P14, but very few of them stuck despite being given chances. In hindsight, were Balham, Dillane etc just a misguided 'reward' chance, and the likes of persistently not picking TOH, and the speedy wingers, entirely justified despite the clamour for them at the time?
26-10-2019, 22:00   #1406
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil3030 View Post
It'll be interesting to see how England perform in the final, and whether they emptied the tank against NZ.

It's possibly hindsight biasing things, but Ireland just seem to be a level below NZ and Eng in terms of skill and athleticism. We're wiley grafters, and will always have it in our locker to beat these teams on our day when a few things go our way. But we simply don't have the speed, power and ball handling across the team that seems to now be the standard at the very top. And I don't think you can compensate; if you're not winning the collisions and moving the ball quickly into the very short-lived space that ensues, I don't think there's any way to consistently make up for that.

And sadly it just doesn't seem to be in our DNA. We have been a fairly homogenous gene pool until quite recently, not exactly tuned to produce power and size. Our tiny population also puts us at a distinct disadvantage.

It really doesn't look good going forward. The game is moving increasingly toward NFL levels of athleticism and attrition, and I fear we'll be left behind.

The game is going to change.....everyone seems certain that the 50:22 rule will come in next season, below from rte news

Already mooted was a 50:22 kick proposal, which would reward a team with the throw-in from a lineout should they kick the ball from inside their own half and get it to bounce before going out in the opposition 22 or if kicked from their own 22 into touch indirectly in the opposition half.

This will make a difference and could help Ireland....our style was going to have to change so if this rule is going to come in we might as well start planning now....

In this situation it makes more sense to have two excellent kickers on the pitch, Carbery and potential another....
26-10-2019, 22:04   #1407
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rape of Lucretia View Post
Just because the wc squad didn't do better in Japan doesn't mean they weren't nevertheless the best available. Disappointment is no grounds to just chop and change the squad or go picking Connacht players just because they are playing well for Connacht. Not picking on Connacht particularly, but in truth there isn't a single player there within range of displacing one of the 1st choice Japan 23. Debatably justified when Connacht the team was winning the P14, but very few of them stuck despite being given chances. In hindsight, were Balham, Dillane etc just a misguided 'reward' chance, and the likes of persistently not picking TOH, and the speedy wingers, entirely justified despite the clamour for them at the time?

Dillane is only 25, when Toner was 25 most people said he wouldn't make it.

I really like Dillane as a player and I hope he comes on now and really pushs for a starting spot in the Irish team. I always liked him as a player. He had a great start and then went out of form for a while which was understandable but I think this is his season to push on.....

Dillane, Ryan, Henderson, Kleyn would give some nice options
(2) thanks from:
26-10-2019, 22:14   #1408
AbusesToilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rape of Lucretia View Post
Disagree, I think there are a bunch of them who could still be worth investing in. How much of an opportunity did any of them really get? Bealham and Aki are probably the only ones who got significant chances. It was token cap and some camp time.
26-10-2019, 23:33   #1409
Wegians89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post

I really like Dillane as a player and I hope he comes on now and really pushs for a starting spot in the Irish team. I always liked him as a player. He had a great start and then went out of form for a while which was understandable but I think this is his season to push on.....

If a second row from Connacht breaks into that Irish squad I’d back thornbury personally. Think he offers something similar to toner but with more physicality and mobility, not as smart a line out operator but he’s young yet.
26-10-2019, 23:38   #1410
Former Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post

Dillane isn't starting for Connacht at the moment AFAIK, he's got some work to do.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion