Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.the42.ie/joe-schmidt-ireland-captain-ryan-4917432-Dec2019/

Thoughts on this? I know he's asked a question and has answered it but I'd be of the opinion he should keep schtum now, he's not the coach anymore.

And touting POM after his performances over the last 12 months? How about he focuses on being worth a spot in the team before making him captain.

No idea why you would have a problem with it? it would be rude if he just said nothing. I dont think he is touting anyone, just saying the current vice captains are Sexto/POM

Plus he makes a very valid point, one which BOD made as well. BOD mentioned it might be better to keep Sexton on for 2 years as Captain and help Ryan into the role. I think BOD would have some experience after getting the captaincy very young and if I remember his form did suffer for a little while after it.

P.S. BOD would mention Sexton as they are very good friends

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thoughts on this? I know he's asked a question and has answered it but I'd be of the opinion he should keep schtum now, he's not the coach anymore.

And touting POM after his performances over the last 12 months? How about he focuses on being worth a spot in the team before making him captain.

I think you're reading too much into it. He hasn't said "I think POM should be captain". All he's said is:
    “The two vice-captains are Johnny and Pete so if there was going to be continuity, it would be Johnny and Pete,” said Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

POM performance wise is barely starting for Munster, name and reputation wise he could be captain of ireland....

We'll get battered the six nations if he starts

POM performance wise is barely starting for Munster, name and reputation wise he could be captain of ireland....

We'll get battered the six nations if he starts

Way over-stating it, imo. If one player's inclusion results in us getting battered, we have bigger problems. Also players' form can change; how you know how he'll be playing in 2 months time?

• On the plus side, nothing will be left in the dressing room. Quite handy really.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Way over-stating it, imo. If one player's inclusion results in us getting battered, we have bigger problems. Also players' form can change; how you know how he'll be playing in 2 months time?

Valid point....

After the WC the call was to pick on form.....if POM is back in form and playing well then who is to say not to pick him.....

I do think the back row is a critical position for Ireland, if the back row struggle then Ireland seem to struggle. Now maybe the game plan will change but I don't think Ireland can deal with a player out of form in position 6-8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

If hes in form he gets picked...if hes not then he shouldnt, it should be pretty simple but hes been retained despite being very average for a long period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Ah, eaten bread is soon forgotten it seems

Like all previous Ireland managers. Once they leave they have to go through a period of Irish fans hating them

Personally I don't see why. Joe, Declan and Eddie have all served Ireland well. The managers before as well. Wish them well and move on.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats a thoroughly worthless quote to lay out when discussing sporting situations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

“The two vice-captains are Johnny and Pete so if there was going to be continuity, it would be Johnny and Pete,” said Schmidt.

why do we want continuity. already the situations people said wouldn't happen are starting to happen,

Schmidt sticking around is the worst thing that can happen. I'm not looking forward to this at all

We had yet another redemption article today. Larmour. Refused to talk about the WC basically, pretending it didn't happen.

Chris Farrell interview was an aye opener though. Seems to indicate how much more relaxed an operator Larkham is, which even though he was referring to probably Felix Jones, it would explain why Schmidt was a fan.

There is no way POM should be captain. Sexton currently is the only established, proven World Class operator ready for the role no matter his form. And as he get gradually replaced over the next 12 months he can be taken over by Ryan. Murray can no longer be considered in that bracket until he fully recovers.

The thing needs to be a total reboot to bring a positive vibe back. If lads like Cooney, Farrell by two, Conway, Addison don't get a look i think things will turn toxic fairly sharpish.

Joe is not sticking around, he is gone. He is doing a book tour so bound to get asked question....is he not supposed to answer? A few posts back people had a go because they felt he was not giving answers......

Addison is out for 4 weeks so if anyone should be looking at 15 it’s Haley

Larmour is 22/23 now, what exactly are you expecting him to say?

What do people expect of players? Go into the press and start bitching about the WC just to keep a few disgruntled fans happy?

All the players you mentioned above where in the WC camps, hardly a total reboot is it..... would see a total reboot if they brought in all the young lads and dropped anyone not making the next WC..,.which would mean Farrell was writing his resignation letter

Niallof9 wrote: »

why do we want continuity. already the situations people said wouldn't happen are starting to happen.

I don't see how; Schmidt has no longer has any say whatsoever in who should be captain / in the squad etc. Can we wait until Farrell has at least announced his captain / squad before we start drawing any conclusions?

I don't see how; Schmidt has no longer has any say whatsoever in who should be captain / in the squad etc. Can we wait until Farrell has at least announced his captain / squad before we start drawing any conclusions?

Seemingly not

Farrell hasn’t even had his Christmas camp and we are writing them off already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Eaten bread is digested, the energy removed and used in the body and when it is of no more use the waste is excreted........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Eaten bread is digested, the energy removed and used in the body and when it is of no more use the waste is excreted........

A fair few coelaics in here :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Niallof9 wrote: »
    So who here was arguing we evolved our gameplan enough? a fair few i'd imagine
    "Should we have developed our game further?" he asked. "Potentially, yes, with the benefit of hindsight. We pay our coaches for those decisions, they’ve been good at those for a long period of time.

"We could have gone down that path, but I want to be clear there’s no guarantee it would have produced a better result.

"We could have changed, but that creates a risk. That’s the decision, they have to choose a path to go with and we chose the path of let’s stick to what we do, what’s worked and get 5/10% more out of it.

Oh yes. Biting criticism.

Ireland's gameplan was developed between world cups to the point were they were almost stark opposites. And yet people still parroted on about our boring kick & chase game that wasn't developed and those people are absolutely worth ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The issue is clear imo. We had our style that was easy enough to contain/stop and defend against.
    Our inability to even assert our style was a crux. That type of gameplan needed to be broadened. The focus on our 2 halves, Murray and Sexton, was absurd as no one else got a look in. Both of them struggled and here we are. I hope that Farrell can broaden the scope of our play. No harm in trying, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What is he on about, 'with the benefit of hindsight'? Did he watch the 6N?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The issue is clear imo. We had our style that was easy enough to contain/stop and defend against.
    Our inability to even assert our style was a crux. That type of gameplan needed to be broadened. The focus on our 2 halves, Murray and Sexton, was absurd as no one else got a look in. Both of them struggled and here we are. I hope that Farrell can broaden the scope of our play. No harm in trying, imo.
    except we did look at other options whining different periods for different reasons got more than enough opportunities to stake a claim for Jersey in the big games.
    And seriously dub? Did you not see the change in how we played from 2018 to 2019???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Is the timing of the review and Paul Deans departure coincident or otherwise?

Joe Schmidt was saying on Monday that it was his first day of unemployment in Ireland.

Find it mad! that Ireland didn’t have a “mental skills” at the RWC
    https://www.the42.ie/david-nucifora-irfu-review-4918384-Dec2019/
    “Ireland had a mental skills coach during Schmidt’s time in the shape of Enda McNulty but Nucifora said the IRFU feel this is something that can be improved.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/meet-the-team-behind-the-irish-rugby-squad-travelling-to-japan-1.4013609
    “Ireland will have 15 fully accredited backroom staff in Japan with five more, who are not fully accredited. That means they have no access to players on match days but are available to support the squad.”
    Paul Dean – team manager
    Jason Cowman – strength and conditioning
    Mervyn Murphy and Vinny Hammod – technical analysts
    Ciaran Cosgrave – team doctor
    Dr Cosgrave joined the IRFU in 2016 having
    Ruth Wood-Martin – performance nutritionist
    Keith Fox and Colm Fuller – physiotherapists
    David Revins and Willy Bennett – masseurs
    John Moran – kit and logistic co-ordinator
    David O’Siochain – media and communications manager
    Ger Carmody – head of operations
    Sinead Bennett – team services

• Find it mad! that Ireland didn’t have a “mental skills” at the RWC

Larmour was the mental skills, coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What is he on about, 'with the benefit of hindsight'? Did he watch the 6N?

He included the 6 Nations and referred to it when talking to them.

I always find comments like these so utterly daft and incredibly naive

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Its interesting that there's 50 reccomendations in there. I'd love to know how many were in the one after 2015.

Obviously if there's anything actually juicy in there he'd never talk about it to the media

Its interesting that there's 50 reccomendations in there. I'd love to know how many were in the one after 2015.

Obviously if there's anything actually juicy in there he'd never talk about it to the media

Recommendation 5-50 were all related to keeping Sexton fit and from been an old nark.

or maybe recommendation 50 was from Best - no coaches in huddles

Good input Rory:rolleyes:

"Whatever happened, the morning of the New Zealand game, the coaches wanted a huddle and to go over plays. I think there was a little worry at that stage that we hadn’t emphasised something enough.

“We had one before that England game where we talked about the threat of Ben Youngs, all that happened was we talk about the threat and then he made — I don’t know how many linebreaks — just by scooting. Exactly what we talked about. I thought that probably happened before the New Zealand game.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rugby/the-best-explanation-of-irelands-2019-failures-968508.html

So the big question is wha has David Nucifora done in the time he was hired?

• Advertisement

The aqueduct?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement