Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jm08 wrote: »
    Do wingers get tired?

Never, Stockdale hasn’t slept in 20 odd years now

jm08 wrote: »
    Do wingers get tired?

Of looking at themselves in the mirror? No.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

aloooof wrote: »
    Line out will be crucial. Up against Itoje, we’ll really need to get some Elevation on the lifts.

With Peyper reffing, we should really attack the breakdown and play on The Edge of the laws.
    Show some real Desire, and Pride in the jersey and we're in with a shout, otherwise, the performance could be a Lemon.
    Fingers crossed the weather doesn't play a part like the England/Scotland game last week, hopefully we get a Beautiful Day for it. A win in Twickenham would be the Sweetest Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

bilston wrote: »
    Italy were better than us throughout most of the 90s.

I think the lowest point for Irish rugby must have been losing to Samoa on a Wednesday night at a half empty Lansdowne Rd around about 1997. We were a shambles!

Back then Triple Crowns were a fantasy

Western Samoa gave us a hiding in Lansdowne in November 1996. 27-40.
    The quip at the time was - "jaysus, imagine if we'd played the full Samoa".
    The following year, their country changed its name to Samoa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

And they havent beaten us since I think. They should ditch the Eastern Samoans again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I was in the schoolboy stand for that one, I think it was a fiver for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

fitz wrote: »
    With Peyper reffing, we should really attack the breakdown and play on The Edge of the laws.
    Show some real Desire, and Pride in the jersey and we're in with a shout
    , otherwise, the performance could be a Lemon.
    Fingers crossed the weather doesn't play a part like the England/Scotland game last week, hopefully we get a Beautiful Day for it. A win in Twickenham would be the Sweetest Thing.

Isn’t that what should always be happening? Isn’t desire and pride of being an Irish international taken as a given?

Has it been missing up until now that it needs to be included in our arsenal?

Isn’t that what should always be happening? Isn’t desire and pride of being an Irish international taken as a given?

Has it been missing up until now that it needs to be included in our arsenal?

You still haven't found what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Okay, Breathe. It doesnt matter how Bad any if these puns are, I Will Follow the advice my OH gives me, take a few Seconds and In A Little While I'll be fine....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    Okay, Breathe. It doesnt matter how Bad any if these puns are, I Will Follow the advice my OH gives me, take a few Seconds and In A Little While I'll be fine....

There'll be War if POM only makes One tackle again...

• Advertisement

That’s a bad pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I fully expect him to get Stuck In. A Moment or two of brilliance from Dorris off the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zooropa.

Am I doing this right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »
    Zooropa.

Am I doing this right?

We're gonna continue the puns With Or Without You, Buer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Buer wrote: »
    Zooropa.

Am I doing this right?

No, but I like your moxie, kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

There is going to be war if he doesnt top the tackle count, makes the most turnovers, makes the most line out steals and runs for the most yards :D

He will have to drop a goal too for me to believe he is not an average player :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Hopefully Murray can send a garryowen or two up like a Kite, leaving May and co Staring at the Sun looking up at it.

kilns wrote: »
    There is going to be war if he doesnt top the tackle count, makes the most turnovers, makes the most line out steals and runs for the most yards :D

He will have to drop a goal too for me to believe he is not an average player :p

If you're going to be so critical you can Get On Your Boots and show him how it's done.

U2 have announced that their next album will be called 'shut up buer'.

Vertigo

This entire thread has lost its edge.

• Advertisement

Ye are all a bunch of lemons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Mercy! Please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's Out of Control.

Boards works In Mysterious Ways.

On a more serious note, how are people feeling about our 10 cover going forward. Byrne is grand but Carbury's injury profile isn't great. Are we just going to have to rely on The Miracle of Joey Ramone-ing fit when we need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    If you're going to be so critical you can Get On Your Boots and show him how it's done.

who needs boots me and Peter in a bootless drop goal contest, it would be a Beautiful Day

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Hopefully Murray can send a garryowen or two up like a Kite, leaving May and co Staring at the Sun looking up at it.

Might give them Vertigo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I hate U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's Out of Control.

Jaco

"The 39-year-old refereed his first match involving Ireland a little over seven years ago in November, 2012 against Argentina at the Aviva Stadium.
    …………………………
    Ireland have since played 86 Tests, including that win over the Pumas, with Nigel Owens (Wales) and England’s Wayne Barnes, two one of the top referees of their generation, leading the way having presided over nine matches each respectively.

They are followed on the list by a couple of French officials, Romain Poite and Jerome Garces and New Zealand’s Glen Jackson, who hangs up his whistle next month.

Of the 20 referees who have officiated Irish matches in the timeframe in question, Peyper’s three games come in at tied 10th on the list, alongside Steve Walsh (New Zealand), Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand) and Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa).

On February, 13th, 2016 Peyper refereed Ireland’s 10-9 defeat to France at the Stade de France, a hugely disappointing and frustrating occasion for the visitors on a sodden Parisian day. Joe Schmidt’s side led 9-3 at half-time but didn’t score a point in the second half.

Ireland were particularly aggrieved with a late hit by French secondrow Yoann Maestri on Sexton and hooker and captain Guilhem Guirado’s high tackle on Irish left wing Dave Kearney, which went unpunished in terms of yellow cards.

There was one further cavil as Schmidt explained after the game: “There’s obviously the try scored by Dave Kearney that the referee blew up early and therefore couldn’t go to the TMO [Australia’s, George Ayoub], but obviously it rebounded off the midriff of Robbie Henshaw. ”
    …………………………………..
    NZ
    The South African brandished two yellow cards
    ……………………………………
    Since that game Ireland have played 38 Test matches without Peyper in the middle
    ……………………
    RWC
    calling a crooked feed against Samoa at a scrum that pre-empted Japan’s bonus point try in that pool match.
    ……………………
    Peyper looks to reward scrum dominance, likes a clean, crisp breakdown and relies heavily on his TMO – on Sunday’s it’s his fellow South African, the experienced Marius Jonker – to flag foul play. "

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-wary-of-peyper-calling-the-tune-as-they-head-for-twickenham-1.4178946

Keep an eye on Tuilagi please Marius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Boards works In Mysterious Ways.

On a more serious note, how are people feeling about our 10 cover going forward. Byrne is grand but Carbury's injury profile isn't great. Are we just going to have to rely on The Miracle of Joey Ramone-ing fit when we need him?

Ross Byrne is still very young and hasn't really had a shot so it's hard to say if he will or won't. His win ratio at Leinster is impressive and that includes big games in Europe over the last few years.

No harm to Burns but I don't really see him as the future 10, but I could be wrong of course

At this stage unless Carbery can go a full season without injury they have to look at alternatives.

You have young options as well if the coaching team doesn't like Ross. His younger brother, Healy at Munster and Fitzgerald at Connacht.

I do have a feeling some of these younger players will jump everyone and take the 10 jersey off Sexton. Hopefully sooner rather than later

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ross Byrne is still very young and hasn't really had a shot so it's hard to say if he will or won't. His win ratio at Leinster is impressive and that includes big games in Europe over the last few years.

No harm to Burns but I don't really see him as the future 10, but I could be wrong of course

At this stage unless Carbery can go a full season without injury they have to look at alternatives.

You have young options as well if the coaching team doesn't like Ross. His younger brother, Healy at Munster and Fitzgerald at Connacht.

I do have a feeling some of these younger players will jump everyone and take the 10 jersey off Sexton. Hopefully sooner rather than later
    A very reasonable response. I just wanted to squeeze "The Miracle of Joey Ramone" into an Irish rugby post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement