Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2015, 08:59   #1
montgo

Which Dublin newspaper?

Wondering which newspaper was most likely to have a death notice or obituary for someone who died in October 1899 - Wellington Pl, Dublin? Thx
Advertisement
20-07-2015, 09:27   #2
pinkypinky

Are they Protestant? Then Irish Times.

If Catholic, maybe not at all, depending on status/wealth.
Thanks from:
20-07-2015, 09:34   #3
horse7

If the Protestant was poor would it still be recorded in the times? In other words did the parish put it in the times,or was it up to the family in question?
20-07-2015, 09:47   #4
montgo

Many thanks, pinkypinky, he was Protestant.

I just had a look at the Irish Times website, I see that they have a sub for €1 for first month and then €12 for each subsequent month. Do they not have a 24hr or weekly access? I really only want to look up this man's death notice.
20-07-2015, 10:19   #5
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse7 View Post
If the Protestant was poor would it still be recorded in the times? In other words did the parish put it in the times,or was it up to the family in question?
Family pays. It'd only be mentioned for free if they were notable enough to get an article / obituary about them (and even then, they'd usually be in the notices too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
Many thanks, pinkypinky, he was Protestant.

I just had a look at the Irish Times website, I see that they have a sub for €1 for first month and then €12 for each subsequent month. Do they not have a 24hr or weekly access? I really only want to look up this man's death notice.
First 10 articles a week are free - this however only includes the digital/web content archives (mid 1990s) not the microfilm ones.
Advertisement
20-07-2015, 11:26   #6
montgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post

First 10 articles a week are free - this however only includes the digital/web content archives (mid 1990s) not the microfilm ones.
Tnx for that info.

Do you know if the NLI or Dublin Libraries would have the Irish Times from 31 Oct 1899?
20-07-2015, 11:29   #7
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
Tnx for that info.

Do you know if the NLI or Dublin Libraries would have the Irish Times from 31 Oct 1899?
Pearse Street Library would be the most likely to have it on their own films, however most libraries in the entire country have access to the archives.

Irish Times is on their own system and also Proquest rather than the INA though.
20-07-2015, 11:35   #8
montgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Pearse Street Library would be the most likely to have it on their own films, however most libraries in the entire country have access to the archives.

Irish Times is on their own system and also Proquest rather than the INA though.
Great info, I will add it to my "to do" list on my next visit.
Many thanks.
20-07-2015, 12:04   #9
pinkypinky

You can access the Irish Times archive for free on the National Library computers in the Genealogy Room.

But a month's sub for €1 includes the current paper every day plus the digital archive for a month. The old system was a tenner for 24 hours. I think it's a great deal but have yet to take it up. You do have to cancel during that period otherwise they charge you for a month at a time.
Advertisement
20-07-2015, 12:09   #10
montgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
You can access the Irish Times archive for free on the National Library computers in the Genealogy Room.

But a month's sub for €1 includes the current paper every day plus the digital archive for a month. The old system was a tenner for 24 hours. I think it's a great deal but have yet to take it up. You do have to cancel during that period otherwise they charge you for a month at a time.
That is a terrific deal. I didn't see where you could cancel during 1st month subscription - must reread. Many thx.
20-07-2015, 12:34   #11
montgo

Irish Times
How do I subscribe and pay?
Subscriptions will be paid monthly in advance and will be automatically renewed unless cancelled.
10 days notice must be given to cancel a subscription.

I found the relevant paragraph
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion