Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tithe transcription

• 16-07-2015 11:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the underlined word is in the attached image?
    Original here
    ...a composition for the Tythes claimable by him incumbent of
    the said parish, and we do further certify that the average
    price of wheat being the…???…grown in such County
    for the period of seven years ending the first day of November...

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

2 words -- being the corn principally grown

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You know I thought that at first and then I gave up on it.
    Thanks for the confirmation.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Also does anyone happen to know what is meant by late Irish currency?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hermy wrote: »
    Also does anyone happen to know what is meant by late Irish currency?

"In 1801 Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland were united to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. However, the Irish pound continued to exist and was not replaced by sterling until January 1826. The conversion rate had long been thirteen Irish pounds to twelve pounds sterling." as per wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling#Currency_of_Great_Britain_.281707.29_and_the_United_Kingdom_.281801.29

The vestry meeting referred to in your document took place in October 1827, just a year after the abolition of the Irish pound and the adoption of sterling as the currency for the new UK. The Irish acre, mile, pound, etc had always been different to their English counterparts and I suppose standardisation was part of the economic and political union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

areas given on the Tithe records are usually in 'Irish' or 'Plantation' acres, which were larger than Statute or English acres (about 1.6x), and from a similar timeframe Lewis Topgraphical dictionary of 1837 gives most areas in Irish acres, and distances in 'Irish Miles', and has occasional mention of amounts in Irish pounds. As far as I know the areas used for Griffith's Primary Valuation were in English or Statute acres.

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff - thank you both.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement