Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

11-06-2012, 20:19   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun_DP101 View Post
@bigstupidguy ()

are you guys still playing tekken? A few of us still play it in casuals if yous wanna come in and have a few games, try to get the t6 scene going again
PS3 or XBOX?
Advertisement
11-06-2012, 20:45   #32
Jun_DP101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Demon View Post
PS3 or XBOX?
both
Thanks from:
12-06-2012, 14:32   #33
Nickco

Hell yeah, looking forward to the new devil jin/kazuya. I loved the old tekken 3 style but this new one isn't looking bad. You guys should try and watch blood vengance online, the animated movie, pretty damn good.
14-06-2012, 16:10   #34
Aurongroove

For me it keeps coming back to how much of a crying ****ing shame it is about those juggle combos, it's like they've taken an aspect of Tekken that was made too important and tripled the importance of it again. and they think they're making the game better. you can't make everyone rich by printing more money, your just reducing the value of things. And you can't make tekken good by giving everyone 13 frame launchers and giving even more importance into a system where hours or practice results in knowing a series of "phone numbers" that give 100 damage that is unavoidable upon inception.

launchers and the juggling system are now the only thing that matter in Tekken, with almost nothing else getting a word in (besides spacing, but that's mostly to avoid being launched) the usefulness of a move now is solely dependant on wither it's a launcher, a counter hit launcher or not, and wither it is or is not punishable by a launcher or vulnerable to being crushed by another launcher or not.

Juggles use to be the final frontier in tekken; the extra bit that made the difference between being good, and being really good, for TTT2 even having a good punishing game say something like a 30 for 10frame, 40 for 11/12 frame and 50 for 13 (I would class that as good punishing), will pale into insignificance if your looking at 80/110 damage for crushing, counter hit launching, or launch punishing. why block and punish a low or parry it when you could've crushed it with a hop kick for appropriately 2.5 times more damage?

I cannot understand why they don't set up a system for teching out of binding and wall splatting: the attacking player gets a free ride on the max damage train and here I am looking at creative follow ups after landing a 1+2 throw, to which 5 minute later I think, "what a ****ing waste of time, there an opportunity to tech which will leave me vulnerable to launch".

grab combos have escapes, chain attacks have escapes, throws have escapes, ground hitting has escapes. but juggling with a bind and a wall splat, your just sitting there.

In fact if tekken is going to go the way of huge combos that have no means of escape then they should also do the following:

Make all chain grabs (king, nina, etc) inescapable combos and wither or not you get hit by the entire thing depends on wither the attacking player remembers and inputs the combo correctly or not, just like juggle combos. The initial grapple for these combos are far more cumbersome then many launchers (compare any of the start up moves for kings grabs to his uf4 then compare the damage)

Make all low attacks in 10 hit combos unparryable make the entire combo jail on block, and make it a natural combo all the way through from the 2nd or 3rd hit just like juggle combos. for most characters the first hit or two of a 10 hit combo are slow, cumbersome attacks with **** range, **** tracking and poor crushing properties unlike some of their launchers.

then carry on to double the damage of ground hitting moves and lengthen the time to have to guarantee they connect after spiking, if your spiked instead of bound.
then make all mid high combos jail on block, make all unblockable attacks track both ways, and take at least 100 to 160 health. etc etc etc. and then throw away the build becasue you've completely ruined the game

(woah long rant)

Last edited by Aurongroove; 14-06-2012 at 16:14.
Thanks from:
15-06-2012, 13:30   #35
BigStupidGuy

you can't make tekken good by giving everyone 13 frame launchers

This I agree with, the more balanced the game becomes the more boring it will be.

hours or practice results in knowing a series of "phone numbers" that give 100 damage that is unavoidable upon inception.

In fairness people always have to vary combos on wall stages, and people screw up the execution of combos all the time. However on non wall stages this is almost true.

the usefulness of a move now is solely dependant on wither it's a launcher, a counter hit launcher or not, and wither it is or is not punishable by a launcher or vulnerable to being crushed by another launcher or not.

It is true that a safe counter hitting mid launcher (eg Lili df+3) is a lot better than a poke, but Tekken is all about controlling frames to set up a launch which you mostly get with pokes. However I do agree that it's always worth throwing out a hopkick randomly, which is kinda sad, and the tag regen system for health almost makes them safe.

Why block and punish a low or parry it when you could've crushed it with a hop kick for appropriately 2.5 times more damage?

Because you might have read the low wrong, your opponent may block the hopkick, and you will be punished.

grab combos have escapes, chain attacks have escapes, throws have escapes, ground hitting has escapes. but juggling with a bind and a wall splat, your just sitting there.

Make all chain grabs (king, nina, etc) inescapable combos and wither or not you get hit by the entire thing depends on wither the attacking player remembers and inputs the combo correctly or not, just like juggle combos. The initial grapple for these combos are far more cumbersome then many launchers (compare any of the start up moves for kings grabs to his uf4 then compare the damage)

Make all low attacks in 10 hit combos unparryable make the entire combo jail on block, and make it a natural combo all the way through from the 2nd or 3rd hit just like juggle combos. for most characters the first hit or two of a 10 hit combo are slow, cumbersome attacks with **** range, **** tracking and poor crushing properties unlike some of their launchers.

In fairness 10 hits and grabs exist to punish people not very knowledgeable at the game, or unable to throwbreak, it's just supposed to

(a) Make a steeper learning curve in the game.
(b) Make it more fun at an "intermediate level"

I still think it's going to be a great game!
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 18:40   #36
Ramza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post
the usefulness of a move now is solely dependant on wither it's a launcher, a counter hit launcher or not, and wither it is or is not punishable by a launcher or vulnerable to being crushed by another launcher or not.
And?

I don't think there's anything wrong with juggles. The ****ing wall combos are ridiculous though esp in TTT2 by the looks of things. There's a lot more to tekken than launching/juggling. It's just how things are punished. Spacing, movement, zoning and knowing your characters frames were always very important in 3d games esp Tekken. I think there's nothing wrong with getting in a solid damage punish

My opinion anyway
03-07-2012, 15:43   #37
Fergus_

03-07-2012, 16:51   #38
Nickco

Yeah nice video, i played the demo its pretty awesome
03-07-2012, 17:34   #39
recnib

Teken was one of my all time favourite game series while i played ps2, Tag Tournament was one of the best IMO. Ill always remember it fondly Cant wait to play this game !!
Advertisement
03-07-2012, 18:40   #40
Yreval

Surely I can't be the only one who noticed this? (about 2:18)

03-07-2012, 18:43   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreval View Post
Surely I can't be the only one who noticed this? (about 2:18)

He punched off her clothes...that is a good skill to have
03-07-2012, 23:24   #42
Scavenger XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAuronDX View Post
He punched off her clothes...that is a good skill to have
USE ALL OF THE SKILL POINTS
06-07-2012, 15:56   #43
Yreval

(2) thanks from:
06-07-2012, 16:13   #44
Sairus

Prototype Jack is back? I can have two Jacks on one team?

Game of the Year.
06-07-2012, 16:22   #45
Scavenger XIII

That's got to be everybody accounted for besides Dr.B himself.

Nice to see Alex back, I've never really cared for joke characters but if you're going to be silly and have a couple bears and a kangaroo you might well go the whole hog and give the boxing dinosaur some love.
Forum Closed