Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2020, 09:33   #16
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
If you feel there might be a serious psychiatric problem like bipolar or ADD, then you need to start with a medical doctor.

If you think it's a psychological issue then you could start with a doctor or you could go straight to a private psychologist for an assessment.

If you want counselling you could go to a private psychoanalyst for therapy.
Sorry man, but the above isn't correct.

If the OP thinks it's a psychiatric issue (and this sounds unlikely, nothing suggests bipolar or even ADD), then he'd need to attend a GP and get referred to a psychiatrist, or attend a private psychiatrist.

If the OP thinks it's a psychological or personality issue, then he needs to attend a psychologist who MAY choose to assess (but most of the time, this is useless on its own), but who in any event will engage with it therapeutically. The OP can go to his GP for a referral, or go privately.

The OP could also seek a therapeutic approach from a psychotherapist, who MAY be a psychoanalyst... but true analysts are both relatively rare these days, AND analysis isn't all that popular.
Advertisement
02-04-2020, 10:24   #17
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post
Sorry man, but the above isn't correct.

If the OP thinks it's a psychiatric issue (and this sounds unlikely, nothing suggests bipolar or even ADD), then he'd need to attend a GP and get referred to a psychiatrist, or attend a private psychiatrist.

If the OP thinks it's a psychological or personality issue, then he needs to attend a psychologist who MAY choose to assess (but most of the time, this is useless on its own), but who in any event will engage with it therapeutically. The OP can go to his GP for a referral, or go privately.

The OP could also seek a therapeutic approach from a psychotherapist, who MAY be a psychoanalyst... but true analysts are both relatively rare these days, AND analysis isn't all that popular.
Am I missing something or is that exactly what I said?

Psychiatric issue - start with medical doctor (GP).
Psychological issue - start with medical doctor (GP) or go to private psychologist.
Therapeutic issue start with private therapist. I said psychoanalyst but as you said, there are other types of therapy.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2020, 11:01   #18
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
Am I missing something or is that exactly what I said?

Psychiatric issue - start with medical doctor (GP).
Psychological issue - start with medical doctor (GP) or go to private psychologist.
Therapeutic issue start with private therapist. I said psychoanalyst but as you said, there are other types of therapy.
Close, but not quite. A few omissions and inaccuracies, nothing major. But there's no harm in clarifying. I'm just clarifying for the OP in case they want to pursue any of the avenues listed.
Thanks from:
02-04-2020, 18:40   #19
LilacNails

I have to admit, everytime I see the title for this post.....I keep reading the "slagging" As "shagging".... Don't mean to downgrade the OP just thought it was funny.

Last edited by LilacNails; 02-04-2020 at 18:41. Reason: .
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2020, 20:39   #20
woodchuck

Mod warning:

@LilacNails, your post is not helpful and below the standard expected here. Please read the charter before posting again.
Advertisement
04-04-2020, 06:40   #21
qwerty13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacNails View Post
I have to admit, everytime I see the title for this post.....I keep reading the "slagging" As "shagging".... Don't mean to downgrade the OP just thought it was funny.
I giggled at this too! However, there’s a chance that I’m also a bit capable of ‘viewing thing by humour’, so maybe that says a bit about me, I don’t know. I think possibly the OP would react in the same way (could be a bit of a reach, but humour instead of dealing with things maybe??)

It really does sound as though you’re seeking attention / approval OP - but that you’ve also recognised yourself that this isn’t always an appropriate thing to do, and that it is annoying / potentially hurting people. So you have self-awareness, ie you’re conscious of not being selfish about it. My advice would be to try get underneath why you do this.

And I find it really incredibly annoying if I’m fed up / P*ssed off, and I feel that someone is being ‘humourous’ about it, because I’d feel they’re not listening to what I’m saying. Maybe that’s my issue, but possibly something to keep in mind.

Last edited by qwerty13; 04-04-2020 at 06:56.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet