Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Touch Site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Already told you on page 5. It's a Galaxy Y. Presume 2.3 via Opera.
    A few of us have the border problem.

Thank you. We think we have this sorted now, I'll try get an update live this evening. Unfortunately we have to prioritise the bugs which apply to those platforms / browsers which cover the largest chunk of our userbase, thanks for your patience.
    If by Thread Block you mean the blue bit with Thread title, last poster, x minutes ago etc then that is what I click but it brings me to the top of the last page viewed not the last unread post (although sometimes it dumps me in the middle of that enormous border, but not very often).
    For example: next time I click on this thread it will bring me to KKKittys post and I will have to try and remember what time I have been on here in order to catch up with the thread.
    Hope that explains it somewhat.

Can you send me on the URL you click though to when opening a thread? The fact that the link brings you to the correct page suggests there's an issue with how your browser navigates to the anchor, but will need to look into it a bit further.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Already told you on page 5. It's a Galaxy Y. Presume 2.3 via Opera.
    A few of us have the border problem.

If by Thread Block you mean the blue bit with Thread title, last poster, x minutes ago etc then that is what I click but it brings me to the top of the last page viewed not the last unread post (although sometimes it dumps me in the middle of that enormous border, but not very often).
    For example: next time I click on this thread it will bring me to KKKittys post and I will have to try and remember what time I have been on here in order to catch up with the thread.
    Hope that explains it somewhat.

What happens Sandeman when you click the thin grey arrow thats off to the right hand side of the thread title? That should bring you to the last post in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

We've deployed a fix that should hopefully resolve the border issue reported. Please let us know if anyone continues to experience that particular bug. Thanks

We've deployed a fix that should hopefully resolve the border issue reported. Please let us know if anyone continues to experience that particular bug. Thanks

So close! :pac:

The fix works Ronan for viewing the likes of the "My Threads" page or the main forum pages like "Site Development" and I was about to come in and report all good, til it slipped across the page and I got that black border.

What I did notice before the fix was that on main pages it was a white border, while in threads it's a black border, so I figure two separate fixes are required.

If you go to m.theregister.co.uk, they have the page laid out like the touch site here, and before the page fully loads up you can "force" the border issue. I thought it was only an issue with the way Opera renders pages but I think another poster Flouresence got the issue on the default android browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any chance of getting email notifications to link to the relevant post rather than the first post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Could you let me know what device / browser you're using please, thanks.

The only thing I can think of is you've some setting enabled that opens internal links in a new page by default, what is the current default action on any other webpage when you open a link?
    I phone 4.
    Safari.
    It did not happen on the previous boards app.
    It does not happen on the my threads
    Section or latest posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Czarcasm wrote: »
    So close! :pac:

The fix works Ronan for viewing the likes of the "My Threads" page or the main forum pages like "Site Development" and I was about to come in and report all good, til it slipped across the page and I got that black border.

What I did notice before the fix was that on main pages it was a white border, while in threads it's a black border, so I figure two separate fixes are required.

We know the fix, it just has to be backported to old-style touch (i.e. the in-thread view). I could have swore I got that before I left the office but I guess not.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Any chance of getting email notifications to link to the relevant post rather than the first post?

You'd nearly need notifications to direct you to the touch site first, and I don't believe we do that. Anything we have in place is hacky and we're busy porting over touch; email notification improvements are another issue entirely - sorry.

Danny

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The border's still there. It's tiny now though (only a few pixels wide) so no big deal. Thanks for sorting it - it was a pain in the face!

Sony Xperia U using Firefox

We know the fix, it just has to be backported to old-style touch (i.e. the in-thread view). I could have swore I got that before I left the office but I guess not.

And now it's live

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

WooHoo!! Everything back to normal. Tis just like the auld days :-) Thanks lads.

@czarcasm That arrow you mentioned never appeared on my screen. Maybe it was hidden by the black stuff but it doesn't make any difference now anyways.

The only niggle I have left now is that when I open the site it brings me to 'latest posts' as opposed to 'my forums' but that's a very minor issue as it only takes one tap to correct it.
    Thanks again guys.

• Advertisement

And now it's live

Danny

Great stuff guys, I didn't even have to clear cache, etc, works straight away.

*sigh*, simple pleasures :D

km79 wrote: »
    I phone 4.
    Safari.
    Section or latest posts.
    Still the same

I am now getting this screen asking me to log in every time I click onto app.
    I then click log in and it's brings me to latest posts . Click my forums/my threads and it brings me to them without logging in.
    So that's an extra 2 pages to get where I want to .

You seem to be having an awful lot of problems - are you sure your browser is accepting cookies?

You seem to be having an awful lot of problems - are you sure your browser is accepting cookies?
    Yes accepting cookies. This just started happening. The other issue still there.
    I had happily used the old version for 18 months with no issues

Yes accepting cookies. This just started happening. The other issue still there.
    I had happily used the old version for 18 months with no issues

We won't be going back to the old version for starters. We have changed the underlying framework for the touch site to enable us to build features much quicker.

Currently the thread view has not been migrated, it is still "old touch".

The auth system was migrated today after days of testing and bugfixing. It is hard to provide swift solutions to problems reported by one person, on one specific device so please bear with us.

Thanks,

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've been logged out twice in the last couple of hours. PM notifications have also been staying put for 3 or 4 clicks after I've read the PM. This has been happening for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I've been logged out twice in the last couple of hours. PM notifications have also been staying put for 3 or 4 clicks after I've read the PM. This has been happening for a few days.
    Just happened to me too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any chance of bringing back Next/Prev in the thread list, a la thread view? It's inconsistent, and those arrows are hard to click when I'm sleepy. :)

I'd still prefer flyout menus, a flyout search button as the search field doesn't need to visible all the fine, and half the whitespace....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

When replying to new posts it doesn't bring me to my post even if I've read the whole thread. Just to the too of the page

• Advertisement

I've been logged out twice in the last couple of hours

Are you checking the Remember Me box when signing in? This used to be implicitly selected on touch, the box was never shown to the user but it was always set to remember.

I phone 4.
    Safari.
    Section or latest posts.

You were accessing the site from a Safari Web App on your home page then. Your issue should be resolved now, the web app will open a Safari browser window by default and links will be handled internally.

We have also defaulted the Remember Me checkbox to on to enable faster logging in for the regular touch users and to bring it in line with the main site :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Posted this as a thread in Help Desk but it was moved here.

Since last night when I click into one particular thread in The Ladies Lounge it takes me to the same post and I can't see any new posts.

You were accessing the site from a Safari Web App on your home page then. Your issue should be resolved now, the web app will open a Safari browser window by default and links will be handled internally.

We have also defaulted the Remember Me checkbox to on to enable faster logging in for the regular touch users and to bring it in line with the main site :)

Danny
    Thanks it's 100% now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Hi. When replying to posts on my ipad the header keeps dropping into the area where I am writing. if I collapse the keyboard on screen the boards header moves back up the screen. I activate the keyboard again it moves back down until i get to line 3 of text when the header decides to stay at the top of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If I report a post in the touch site it will appear in the latest posts with the thread title and "post by xxxxxx reported by foggy_lad".

I'm posting a screen shot of one I just did. The post is about halfway down under the advertisment and the thread category appears to have changed to reported posts. Can everyone see that I reported that post?

Well they can NOW with that screenshot foggy! :D

But no, it's an ongoing issue on the touch site that should have been sorted a while back. Only you see the reported post thread, it doesn't show up in anyone else's latest posts when they use that view.

If another user reports a post, they will see it in their latest threads view whereas you wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Well they can NOW with that screenshot foggy! :D

But no, it's an ongoing issue on the touch site that should have been sorted a while back. Only you see the reported post thread, it doesn't show up in anyone else's latest posts when they use that view.

If another user reports a post, they will see it in their latest threads view whereas you wont.
    That's grand, that reported post was only someone flogging dirt cheep iphones and other chinese wholesale electronics fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That's grand, that reported post was only someone flogging dirt cheep iphones and other chinese wholesale electronics fakes.

Thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056845062

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

It has just been brought to my attention by a touch site user, that the Ladies Lounge charter doesn't show up on the front page. I have logged into the touch site and confirmed this is the case. I figured it was possibly to do with the number of stickied threads (4), so I have removed the chat thread leaving 3 stickied but to no avail. Now the touch site only shows 2 stuck threads.

Can you have a look at it for me please?

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement