Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you like to see on the touch site?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Add a "Mark Forum as Read" button

Does tapping the spoiler tag not work? It did before.

It works for me on iOS 5 on an iPhone 4.

Good work on the updates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Provide access to social groups

Does tapping the spoiler tag not work? It did before.

I was just about to post about this myself. Tapping it hasn't worked for me lately.
    Using iOS 6 on iPhone 4S.

Posy wrote: »

The fact that 'choose file' is above 'post reply' is really irritating to me though.
    I keep hitting the wrong one because I have to scroll down to post a reply now on my phone!

I agree. I think the position of those two buttons should be swapped around. Or even put one on the left and one on the right.

Overall, great improvements so far guys. Good job! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Add more and better client side validation
    Dean09 wrote: »

I was just about to post about this myself. Tapping it hasn't worked for me lately.

Working for me, same phone and os.

Love how the quotes aren't nested any more!

Eoin wrote: »
    Working for me, same phone and os.
    Strange. I noticed it stopped working for me about a week or so ago. Maybe it's my phone! :eek:

Eoin wrote: »
    Love how the quotes aren't nested any more!
    It's a godsend! That was probably one of the worst features of the touch site!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Add page links to the top of the page in thread view
    It now jumps to first unread post! Brilliant :D Well done, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

It now jumps to first unread post! Brilliant :D Well done, guys.

We didn't fix this, it could be a temporary fix or it could have been a temporary break. All issues addressed are in Paddy's post.
    Dean09 wrote: »

Bug reports on the bug report thread, there's been no messing about with spoiler BBcode :)
    Zaph wrote: »
    On a non-rooted Galaxy S2 running Android 4.0.3 and not seeing the forum index at all. Do I need to be on Jelly Bean?
    Zaph wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that I'm using Dolphin Browser HD 9.0.0
    I'm not seeing it either. Using stock android browser. Xperia Play, ICS, CM9.

So I guess you're not running a browser that's on WebKit 535 then :o

I've access to a HTC One X with ICS 4.0.4 using an updated Chrome browser - reports a Webkit version of 535.17 and the index shows up fine. If you need to know what WebKit version you're reporting take a trip over to http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics and read the User Agent string, it should have the version number there.

A fresh copy of Dolphin HD reports 534, the same as IOS 5.1 which does have issues :(

Danny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've access to a HTC One X with ICS 4.0.4 using an updated Chrome browser - reports a Webkit version of 535.17 and the index shows up fine. If you need to know what WebKit version you're reporting take a trip over to http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics and read the User Agent string, it should have the version number there.

A fresh copy of Dolphin HD reports 534, the same as IOS 5.1 which does have issues.

Android browser is different to chrome so I guess android browser doesn't support it. No real loss for me, as I never really use the index. I should be upgrading to a S3 soon anyway. :)

Android browser is different to chrome so I guess android browser doesn't support it. No real loss for me, as I never really use the index. I should be upgrading to a S3 soon anyway. :)

It'd still be of some assistance if you wouldn't mind copying and pasting your User Agent string from the Diagnostics page to here, just for stats & stuff :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Atari Jaguar
    I can't upload photos. I've a Samsung Europa with android 2.2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It'd still be of some assistance if you wouldn't mind copying and pasting your User Agent string from the Diagnostics page to here, just for stats & stuff :)

Danny

Webkit version is 534.30. As above Xperia Play running CM9 Android version 4.0.4

Webkit version is 534.30. As above Xperia Play running CM9 Android version 4.0.4

Thanks for that, much obliged.

I'll take a look and see if WebKit 534 on Android plays differently to IOS/Safari WebKit 534 which has some nasty bugs related to CSS position:fixed.

If it all comes up clear we'll see about expanding out to Android browsers :)

Danny

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A fresh copy of Dolphin HD reports 534, the same as IOS 5.1 which does have issues :(

Danny

Paddy said Android 4+. and I'm running 4.0.3, so stop trying to weasel out of it with your nerd-speak! :p

Like AC, seems to be webkit 534.30, but unlike him I do use the index, so if it was possible to extend what it works with it would be a nice bonus.

Meant to say good work on the updates guys, it's appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

KKkitty wrote: »
    I can't upload photos. I've a Samsung Europa with android 2.2.

We're not too sure what phones support file uploads but we check to see if your browser supports the upload process using a very generic method (we check to see if your browser can create the html element input type=file) if it does we show you the choose file if it doesn't well there's not much we can do I'm afraid :(

To those who have mentioned about the choose attachment being over the reply button. Leave that with me.

The reasoning I had for placing it there was that it created a natural flow for creating a post/thread.

1 create title.
    2 write reply.
    3 upload.
    4 send.

Scioch wrote: »
    Why is the unfollow button so much more prominent than the post reply button. Wouldnt it make more sense to have reply button a decent size with reply written on it rather then a small thing in the corner with a pencil on it ?

Wasn't in the running for these round of updates. When we do another round shout from the top of your lungs :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Add page links to the top of the page in thread view
    For the next update could ye put in a "Jump to page top/bottom" button? With all the extra posts per page now it'd be very helpful :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hmm... this might sound a bit pissy. I use the 40 posts per page when I'm on a desktop and was kinda surprised to see it come in on the touch site automatically with these changes. Is it possible for a user to have an option for posts per page split between touch and desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Add an unread PM indicator
    You can't read these on the touch site

:mad:

I discovered ages ago that tapping the REPLY button removes the spoiler cover ;-)

I discovered ages ago that tapping the REPLY button removes the spoiler cover ;-)

Or you could just tap it ;)

Just tapping it doesn't work for me for some reason. If I tap the spoiler it just goes back to the first page.

• Advertisement

Just tapping it doesn't work for me for some reason. If I tap the spoiler it just goes back to the first page.
    What device, browswer and operating system version you running?

What device, browswer and operating system version you running?

One of those cheapo Galaxy Ys using Opera Mini. No clue about operating systems. It's not a problem though as I've found the way around it.

It doesn't let me add attachments either even though it gives me the option since your changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

50% of the initial page load is to support ads! Over 100k, not to mention these have to be parsed (Which takes > 100ms on a beefy desktop)

It seems sluggish just browsing and loading on a 4s and SII

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Is there anyway to move the reply button above or beside the choose file button. Currently when I post a response (on iphone) I have to scroll down to get to the post reply button, past the choose file button. Would it not make more sense to switch them around?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement