Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why didn't Taylor fight in China 2008?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

New to boxing forum, sorry if this has been answered (google didn't help).

Why didn't Taylor fight in the 2008 Olympics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

3DataModem wrote: »
    New to boxing forum, sorry if this has been answered (google didn't help).

Why didn't Taylor fight in the 2008 Olympics?

This is the 1st Olympics with Females allowed to compete in Boxing ever.

Taylor was an important person for pushing women's Boxing into the Olympics and campaigned for it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Dont think womens boxing was in the 2008 event

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

she should have fought in the mens boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

MD1990 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Yeah women's boxing wasn't allowed in Beijing. Bit stupid if you ask me considering some of the ridiculous sports which they did allow!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

MD1990 wrote: »

I don't know if that was meant to be a smartass comment, given the fact that Katie would probably kick the ass of most men in her weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Lapin wrote: »
    I don't know if that was meant to be a smartass comment, given the fact that Katie would probably kick the ass of most men in her weight.

No she wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

RoverZT wrote: »
    No she wouldn't.

Yes, she would. A normal guy her weight wouldn't have a hope in hell against her. Watch her sparring with Olympic bronze medalist, Paddy Barnes and tell me she wouldn't kick seven shades of shíte out of a normal guy her weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yes, she would. A normal guy her weight wouldn't have a hope in hell against her. Watch her sparring with Olympic bronze medalist, Paddy Barnes and tell me she wouldn't kick seven shades of shíte out of a normal guy her weight.

We are talking Olympians here?

He implied she could give the pro lads a go, not a normal guy on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Jebus Christmas!

Yes Taylor would be well able to put manners on men of her same size and weight, and bigger than her as well, but thinking she could box in the mens category in the Olympics is insanity. She'd simply get the living daylights beaten out of her.

Good gravy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

RoverZT wrote: »
    We are talking Olympians here?

He implied she could give the pro lads a go, not a normal guy on the street.

I didn't take it as Olympians, he just said 'men'. To be honest, I think she'd give a competitive fight to the guys too at her weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn't take it as Olympians, he just said 'men'. To be honest, I think she'd give a competitive fight to the guys too at her weight.

She wouldn't. The guys would be far too strong and heavy hitting. 1 rd max!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I agree with this.
    walshb wrote: »
    She wouldn't. The guys would be far too strong and heavy hitting. 1 rd max!

Hitting someone is fine, but if you don't hit them you don't hurt them-I feel her abilities mean she wont get tagged too hard at all..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    I agree with this.

Hitting someone is fine, but if you don't hit them you don't hurt them-I feel her abilities mean she wont get tagged too hard at all..

The women can and have hit her. The men will, more often and with a deal more power. It's an absolute no contest.

Katie is one of the finest technical all around boxers I have ever seen. But, men against women is just a no contest at all. She may well do okay against the low level men, but any elite men would destroy her.

Anyone telling me that the best 60 kg men in Ireland would not beat Katie handily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

In fairness she'd get destroyed in the mens, its silly to suggest otherwise. Imagine Katie vs Lomachenko :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah, the poor old lad wouldn't have a chance. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

with the level of refereeing and judgeing Katie is in real danger of a bum decision,it was disgraceful last night what went on in the heavies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

barney4001 wrote: »
    with the level of refereeing and judgeing Katie is in real danger of a bum decision,it was disgraceful last night what went on in the heavies
    Someone on the RTE panel suggested that but the rest of the panel disagreed that since Taylor was one of the big faces of the olympics she couldn't be screwed out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Great to see Katie scoring such a comprehensive vicory. Her opponent was good enough to get a medal so was probably unlucky to come up against Katie at this stage.

Advertisement