Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paquiao vs Mayweather fight

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

walshb wrote: »
    Pacman really does have some guts. He takes on anyone. Joshua is a big and strong and heavy handed welter. This fight would be more brusing and physical than the Floyd fight. Is tis fight in a strange way, a step up?

I would rather face Floyd than Clottey. Floyd is a cuite and defensive minded man. Joshua is in there to do you harm

Yip its a step up alright, Clottey would be a bigger scalp for pac man in terms of a more physical tough bout. Happy to see him getting on with things too. It will be very intresting to see who the pick for PFM next.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

During the initial phase of the now aborted Mann Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight, Bob Arum initially wanted the fight to be held at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Golden Boy’s second chief Richard Scahefer scoffed the idea, saying Mayweather does not like because it is an outdoor stadium.

But with the recent development of things, some little details broke the surface may probably be the biggest reason why Mayweather never wanted the Dallas Cowboys Stadium to host the fight – he was using a widely-banned illegal substance. The irony is that such drug is legal in, coincidentally, the state of Nevada.

In an article written by Frank Gonzales in April 21, 2002, it is revealed that Floyd Mayweather has been using a painkiller called Xylocaine to treat the pain caused by his brittle hands, which have been injured numerous times in the past.

However, Xylocaine is proven to enhance a boxer’s performance.

It effectively numbs the boxer’s hands, making it less susceptible to pain caused by punching constantly. With the pain efficiently blocked out, Xylocaine, in effect, enables the boxer to throw more powerful shots. If that is the case, then Mayweather may not have been fighting on a leveled playing field in some of his fights.

And to call Pacquiao a steroids user when in fact he has a history of using a widely-banned drug not only tarnishes his reputation as a boxer, but also brings his legacy to a pool of mud. Soaked and dirtied, there is no way Mayweather can clean this one.

The karmic boomerang does hurt.

Link:http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/ARTICLE/2212/2010-01-09.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Look this argument that boxers can punch harder without the pain is BS to the highest degree, especially in a fight, all boxers punch with full intent and without a problem and if they dont then there not cut out for fighting, technique and adrenalin make sure that hands should not be hurt anyway..

If the pain killers only stopped pain in the hands due to injured hands i would not see the problem, but the problem is im sure they'd help for pain in other areas too, like ribs for example from body shots..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

During the initial phase of the now aborted Mann Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight, Bob Arum initially wanted the fight to be held at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Golden Boy’s second chief Richard Scahefer scoffed the idea, saying Mayweather does not like because it is an outdoor stadium.

But with the recent development of things, some little details broke the surface may probably be the biggest reason why Mayweather never wanted the Dallas Cowboys Stadium to host the fight – he was using a widely-banned illegal substance. The irony is that such drug is legal in, coincidentally, the state of Nevada.

In an article written by Frank Gonzales in April 21, 2002, it is revealed that Floyd Mayweather has been using a painkiller called Xylocaine to treat the pain caused by his brittle hands, which have been injured numerous times in the past.

However, Xylocaine is proven to enhance a boxer’s performance.

It effectively numbs the boxer’s hands, making it less susceptible to pain caused by punching constantly. With the pain efficiently blocked out, Xylocaine, in effect, enables the boxer to throw more powerful shots. If that is the case, then Mayweather may not have been fighting on a leveled playing field in some of his fights.

And to call Pacquiao a steroids user when in fact he has a history of using a widely-banned drug not only tarnishes his reputation as a boxer, but also brings his legacy to a pool of mud. Soaked and dirtied, there is no way Mayweather can clean this one.

The karmic boomerang does hurt.

Link:http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/ARTICLE/2212/2010-01-09.html

Is Xylocaine legal in Nevada or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

cowzerp wrote: »
    Look this argument that boxers can punch harder without the pain is BS to the highest degree, especially in a fight, all boxers punch with full intent and without a problem and if they dont then there not cut out for fighting, technique and adrenalin make sure that hands should not be hurt anyway..

If the pain killers only stopped pain in the hands due to injured hands i would not see the problem, but the problem is im sure they'd help for pain in other areas too, like ribs for example from body shots..

That's a good point.

But, afaik, and I could be wrong here, xylocaine is a trade name for lidocaine.
    I think this is usually given topically, as in a gel or cream, and that it is a local anaesthetic anyway.

It's used in strepsil throat spray I think and does a good job of numbing the mouth. I think dentists used to use it for doing fillings too.

So I'm just saying that if he used it for his hands it might not have much of an effect on his ribs etc.

Again, I could be totally wrong.

• Advertisement

akindoc wrote: »
    Is Xylocaine legal in Nevada or not?

It's legal as far as I know. So, if Floyd tested positive for it he is within the rules, which is quite similar to Manny abiding by the Nevada rules. Neither man is committing an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Mayweather knows manny's gonna knock the ****e outta him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pacman really does have some guts. He takes on anyone. Joshua is a big and strong and heavy handed welter. This fight would be more brusing and physical than the Floyd fight. Is tis fight in a strange way, a step up?

I would rather face Floyd than Clottey. Floyd is a cuite and defensive minded man. Joshua is in there to do you harm

There's been a lot of talk today that the Pac v Clottey fight will be at a catch weight of 144lbs. Making a guy as big as Clottey - a guy that has had trouble making the Welterweight limit on many occasions, a guy that has actually fought above the Welterweight limit quite a few times - come down to 144lbs, will take a hell of a lot of shine off of a win over him for Pacman in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Mayweather knows manny's gonna knock the ****e outta him

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Johner wrote: »
    There's been a lot of talk today that the Pac v Clottey fight will be at a catch weight of 144lbs. Making a guy as big as Clottey - a guy that has had trouble making the Welterweight limit on many occasions, a guy that has actually fought above the Welterweight limit quite a few times - come down to 144lbs, will take a hell of a lot of shine off of a win over him for Pacman in my opinion.
    Source?

If this is true, combining this with making Cotto meet him at the lower weight and his allegedly not meeting Mayweather in the middle at 14 days for the testing, doesn't look good for Pacquiao.

• Advertisement

If Floyd wanted to get out of the fight, he had ample opportunity before the drug testing.

1. he could have walked away when the pac camp demanded a 50:50 split.
    2. he could have walked away when the pac camp demanded their own 8 ounce gloves even though it's normally 10 ounce gloves for a welterweight fight.
    3. he could have walked away when pac demanded 10 million per pound.
    4. he could have walked away when pac refused to do blood testing up til 48 hours before the fight, but he was willing to go 14 days before the fight.

mayweather has made some concessions here. if you really think about it, a tablespoon of blood 14 days before the fight isn't as important as wearing 8 ounce gloves over 10 ounce gloves would be.

But both fighters deserve blame for the fight not happening

If Floyd wanted to get out of the fight, he had ample opportunity before the drug testing.

2. he could have walked away when the pac camp demanded their own 8 ounce gloves even though it's normally 10 ounce gloves for a welterweight fight.
    3. he could have walked away when pac demanded 10 million per pound.
    4. he could have walked away when pac refused to do blood testing up til 48 hours before the fight, but he was willing to go 14 days before the fight.

mayweather has made some concessions here. if you really think about it, a tablespoon of blood 14 days before the fight isn't as important as wearing 8 ounce gloves over 10 ounce gloves would be.

But both fighters deserve blame for the fight not happening

Eh, how the hell is agreeing to weigh in at the welter limit a concession?

IF he was asking Floyd to weigh 146, 145, 144 etc, then I would
    consider this a concession.

As for the 50-50 split, that is not a concession for Floyd if we want to be
    technical. Floyd has done nothing of note in 2 years. Manny is the draw here, the name, and the bigger seller

These were agreed by Floyd because they were too damn obvious as not being
    concessions. Had he chickened out for these reasons, he'd be a real joke.

He chose to bring in drug rules, his drug rules, and rules he knew Pacman
    wouldn't adhere too. Pacman being right not to.

It's easy giving in to "concessions" when you know you have a real way out
    of the fight should all else go smoothly.

joker77 wrote: »
    Source?

If this is true, combining this with making Cotto meet him at the lower weight and his allegedly not meeting Mayweather in the middle at 14 days for the testing, doesn't look good for Pacquiao.

http://www.mannypacquiaovs.com/index.php/2010/01/manny-pacquiao-to-fight-joshua-clottey-at-144-catchweight/

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199173

I don't see a point in this fight at a catch weight. As I said Clottey has trouble making Welter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Rumors are they will be fighing on the same night in March.
    pac V's clottey in Dallas
    PFM V's ???? in Vegas

PPV figures will make the negotiations next time around interesting, Pac Man may have the upper hand, (no pun intended )

Eh, how the hell is agreeing to weigh in at the welter limit a concession?

IF he was asking Floyd to weigh 146, 145, 144 etc, then I would
    consider this a concession.

As for the 50-50 split, that is not a concession for Floyd if we want to be
    technical. Floyd has done nothing of note in 2 years. Manny is the draw here, the name, and the bigger seller

These were agreed by Floyd because they were too damn obvious as not being
    concessions. Had he chickened out for these reasons, he'd be a real joke.

He chose to bring in drug rules, his drug rules, and rules he knew Pacman
    wouldn't adhere too. Pacman being right not to.

It's easy giving in to "concessions" when you know you have a real way out
    of the fight should all else go smoothly.

Did you miss the part where i wrote 10 million per pound? That's not a concession. OK.

As for who is the bigger draw, against common opponents (DLH/Hatton/JMM), what were their respective PPV numbers? Who drew more? Floyd by a considerable margin.

My point is that it would have been very easy for floyd to look for a way out with any of the above excuses if he really wanted out, as some are suggesting.

If he wanted out of the fight with the drug rules he wouldn't have thrown the 14 day cutoff out there. He could have just stayed with the 48 hour deadline if his game was to get out of the fight.

He could have demanded 10 ounce gloves. But he agreed to 8 ounce gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nickycole

There is only one thing is for sure Floyed Gayweather is really afraid of Manny Pacquiao! He is just a person living in his own dream in his own world.

Did you miss the part where i wrote 10 million per pound? That's not a concession. OK.

But, can you be clearer here. Is Pacman responsible for this weight making too? Is he open to a fine should he come in over 147 lbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

The proposed fight between Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao will not be taking place any time soon after the two sides refused to agree over the drug-testing row.
    It means the face-off all boxing fans want to see will not go ahead, at least for now, with Pacquiao instead likely to challenge WBA light-middleweight belt holder Yuri Foreman in a bid to become a seven-weight champion.
    The two parties were brought together with a mediator during Tuesday and Wednesday but Pacquiao remained unmoved on Mayweather's request for random blood and urine testing prior to the proposed March 13 bout.
    "No deal was reached and Manny is moving on," communications expert Fred Sternburg told Reuters on behalf of Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum.
    Even so, Mayweather's promoters Golden Boy have refused to either confirm or deny the claim from the Arum camp, offering at least a glimmer of hope that the fight is not dead in the water.
    Pacquiao defeated Miguel Cotto for the WBO welterweight title in November, while Mayweather had earlier ended a two-year sabbatical to beat Juan Manuel Marquez, setting the pair on a collision course.
    Mayweather Jnr is expected to remain active, with a fight against former IBF light-welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi already mooted.

ahhh,courtesy of sky sports:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Paulie Malignaggi - good to see "money" is not afraid to fight the big boys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ragg wrote: »

If he fights Malignaggi then its a farce, not a bad fighter but as weak as piss and not a threat at all to PBF, he's like PBF but a lower standard verion..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

He's a big box office draw though - he has a really really hardcore fan base of the eat coast i believe. The type that will inflate the PPV figures for floyd.

Floyd is completely pointless at this stage - why not fight sugar shane, especially as shane called him out during his interview at the end of his last fight - but, no, Floyd once again avoids him.

Whats the bets he comes him way over weight again against Malignaggi - a fighter that will be adding weight to fight him (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

As for who is the bigger draw, against common opponents (DLH/Hatton/JMM), what were their respective PPV numbers? Who drew more? Floyd by a considerable margin.

Manny wasnt the sensation globally that he is today when he fought Marquez.

Floyd was "coming out of retirement... loads wanted to see him, more wanted to see him beat and root for the little guy"

De La Hoya: was coming off an impressive looking win against MAYORGA ANd his stock was higher at the time he foouoght Floyd. When he fought Pac he was calling out a tiny fighter and was after looking like muck against Steve Forbes.

Hatton: Undefeated when challenging Floyd, people thought he could win etc.When he fought Pac he had a loss. This imo would be the best gauge out of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

ragg wrote: »

I will not be watchin this fight even if it's free, a complete joke. Matthew Hatton would be even worse. Who would pay to see that crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    Also what i find interesting is Malinaggi's comments slating Pacq . As Paulie now finds the doors of oportunity opening for himself .

Cintron was the other fighter to openly defame Pacq .. I wouldnt be surprised to see his name now crops up as a possible opponent ?

As I predicted , the very people who slung accusations out loud ....
    I was waiting to see what the real motive was for coming out with these accusations ,.
    They now look to be beneficiary from the collapse of the fight.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24693

So transparent .

Advertisement