Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a tablet from abroad?

Options
  • 23-11-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Looking for a tablet for one of the kids for Christmas, and it's a lot cheaper to buy from Amazon US at the moment. It's just a wifi tablet, no LTE. Is there any reason not to buy it to use here, or is there some reason I need to buy one here or in the UK (other than the plug)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a wi-fi only model (no SIM slot), there will be no problem with it working here.

But be warned - if you buy from the US, the shipping company may come looking for the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

coylemj wrote: »
    If it's a wi-fi only model (no SIM slot), there will be no problem with it working here.

But be warned - if you buy from the US, the shipping company may come looking for the VAT.

Thanks for your reply, that's helpful to know. I'm looking at buying from Amazon and it says shipping and import fees are charged by them, so I can see what they are before buying (still cheaper than buying it here). It's a Samsung tablet I'm looking at. We have a few Samsung devices in the house already and these came with usb cable and separate plug, so I'm assuming (maybe wrongly?) That there'd be a separate cable that I can just plug into an existing charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bonsai_73 wrote: »
    It's a Samsung tablet I'm looking at. We have a few Samsung devices in the house already and these came with usb cable and separate plug, so I'm assuming (maybe wrongly?) That there'd be a separate cable that I can just plug into an existing charger.

My current Samsung tablet came with a 2A charger plug. You will definitely get a USB cable and chances are that it will also come with a US mains plug. Check the amp number in the 'output' specs on the supplied plug (for a tablet, it will probably be 2A) and use a similar (but not greater) amp rated charger plug from another device. It doesn't need to be a Samsung plug, I use a 1.5A charger that came with a Sony Bluetooth speaker to charge my Samsung phone. As long as the charger output is rated at 5V and you're not pumping more amps than the charger than came with the device, you'll be fine.

Advertisement