Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can anyone recommend something romantic please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Addle wrote: »

Falling Inn Love?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Addle wrote: »

To All The Boys I Loved Before and its sequel.

Or if you're in the mood for a series, Lovesick is great.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    To All The Boys I Loved Before and its sequel.

Or if you're in the mood for a series, Lovesick is great.

I watched Lovesick after watching Johnny Flynn in Emma and I did enjoy it.

Will check out the others. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

F1: Drive to Survive: Season 2
    Building on the success of Season 1, which opened up the pinnacle of motorsport to a whole new audience, Season 2 will see the cameras go behind the scenes once again for the 2019 F1 season, which saw Lewis Hamilton claim his sixth drivers’ title, as his Mercedes team claimed their own sixth consecutive championship.

All the Bright Places
    Elle Fanning, Keegan-Michael Key and Luke Wilson star in this film, based on Jennifer Niven novel of the same name, which follows Violet and Finch, two teens who want to escape their Indiana hometown. They cross paths when they both climb the school bell tower planning to jump off, but after talking each other down, they embark on a project that sees them explore their home state to find all the important and strange sites.

Always a Witch (Siempre Bruja) season 2
    A young 17th-century witch time travels to the future to save the man she loves, but first must adjust to present-day Cartagena and defeat a dark rival.

The Endless Trench
    Fearing retribution, a Republican from the Spanish Civil War hides in his home for more than 30 years with the help of his wife. Based on true events.

Hotel Transylvania
    With her dad away, Mavis is so ready for adventure -- if strict Aunt Lydia doesn't stop her first. Set four years before the "Hotel Transylvania" film.

Queen Sono
    South African spy Queen Sono finds herself in a nefarious web of business and politics as she seeks to uncover the truth behind her mother's death.

Restaurants on the Edge season 1
    Three food and design experts travel the world to revive failing restaurants by connecting them to the local culture beyond their gorgeous views.

Toy Boy season 1
    After seven years in a Málaga prison, a male stripper is released pending retrial and sets out to prove his lover framed him for her husband's murder.

Unstoppable season 1
    A group of friends set out on a road trip when an unexpected fourth passenger forces an abrupt change of plans

added

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

peteeeed wrote: »
    F1: Drive to Survive: Season 2
    Building on the success of Season 1, which opened up the pinnacle of motorsport to a whole new audience, Season 2 will see the cameras go behind the scenes once again for the 2019 F1 season, which saw Lewis Hamilton claim his sixth drivers’ title, as his Mercedes team claimed their own sixth consecutive championship.

All the Bright Places
    Elle Fanning, Keegan-Michael Key and Luke Wilson star in this film, based on Jennifer Niven novel of the same name, which follows Violet and Finch, two teens who want to escape their Indiana hometown. They cross paths when they both climb the school bell tower planning to jump off, but after talking each other down, they embark on a project that sees them explore their home state to find all the important and strange sites.

Always a Witch (Siempre Bruja) season 2
    A young 17th-century witch time travels to the future to save the man she loves, but first must adjust to present-day Cartagena and defeat a dark rival.

The Endless Trench
    Fearing retribution, a Republican from the Spanish Civil War hides in his home for more than 30 years with the help of his wife. Based on true events.

Hotel Transylvania
    With her dad away, Mavis is so ready for adventure -- if strict Aunt Lydia doesn't stop her first. Set four years before the "Hotel Transylvania" film.

Queen Sono
    South African spy Queen Sono finds herself in a nefarious web of business and politics as she seeks to uncover the truth behind her mother's death.

Restaurants on the Edge season 1
    Three food and design experts travel the world to revive failing restaurants by connecting them to the local culture beyond their gorgeous views.

Toy Boy season 1
    After seven years in a Málaga prison, a male stripper is released pending retrial and sets out to prove his lover framed him for her husband's murder.

Unstoppable season 1
    A group of friends set out on a road trip when an unexpected fourth passenger forces an abrupt change of plans

added

I read 'Toy Boy' as 'Top Boy' & when I read the description I was very, very confused!

now to rid the image Sully/Dushane as a stripper from my head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I read 'Toy Boy' as 'Top Boy' & when I read the description I was very, very confused!

now to rid the image Sully/Dushane as a stripper from my head :D

I made the same mistake, but now reading your post, I thought of Sully from Uncharted. That's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭shanmo

Any ideas when suits will be added? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just finished The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez and I’m not the better for it. Very tough watch but a story that needed to be told. Just heartbreaking.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Just finished The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez and I’m not the better for it. Very tough watch but a story that needed to be told. Just heartbreaking.

I'm nearly finished the 2nd episode now, tough watch alright! :(

• Advertisement

shanmo wrote: »
    Any ideas when suits will be added? Thanks.

Suits is on it already & has been for a while, no!? it's on mine anyway & I've watched it recently.

just learned there's a Korean version of the show on it also.

I think I’m going to watch Mad Men again.

Fantastic Four (the 2015 car crash)

Pacific Rim: Uprising

RuPaul's Drag Race season 12 Ep1

added

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Finally finished Narcos season 2 after watching the first season years ago, overall it was really good. Is the 3rd Cali season worth a watch too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

SusieBlue wrote: »

Finished the third episode last night. Horrendous and infuriating at the same time. Wife shed tears during each episode. As a father I find it a tough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Kunkka wrote: »
    Finally finished Narcos season 2 after watching the first season years ago, overall it was really good. Is the 3rd Cali season worth a watch too?

definitely worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

SeaFields wrote: »
    Finished the third episode last night. Horrendous and infuriating at the same time. Wife shed tears during each episode. As a father I find it a tough watch.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Nkx7QTONGHUOMa5PGbiJc?si=hsqjfRswQh28b3oAABCV-g

Similar,gut wrenching

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

peteeeed wrote: »
    Fantastic Four (the 2015 car crash)

Pacific Rim: Uprising

RuPaul's Drag Race season 12 Ep1

added

I quite enjoyed the first Pacific Rim so I'll definitely give the sequel a look

And F4 is definitely a car crash, it is unbelievably awful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That Pacific Rim sequel wasn't great, not least because it lost all the heft and momentum of the mechs / kaiju, the robots leaping about like Transformers more than anything else. The scale and size was gone. Honestly even "free" on Netflix I wouldn't waste the time. Just watch the first film again lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't even say 'not great', it was outright bad. And I really enjoyed the first movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I could have sworn Contagion was on Netflix earlier this week?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The next batch of Ghibli films is up.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
    Princess Mononoke (1997)
    My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
    Spirited Away (2001)
    The Cat Returns (2002)
    Arrietty (2010)
    The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

This batch includes three of my four absolute god-tier Ghibli films in Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Princess Kaguya. While each of them is a miracle of animation, Spirited Away might be the closest any film in history has ever gotten to feeling like a straight-up magical dream - just a parade of the most wondrous imagery ever committed to film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The next batch of Ghibli films is up.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
    Princess Mononoke (1997)
    My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
    Spirited Away (2001)
    The Cat Returns (2002)
    Arrietty (2010)

This batch includes three of my four absolute god-tier Ghibli films in Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Princess Kaguya. While each of them is a miracle of animation, Spirited Away might be the closest any film in history has ever gotten to feeling like a straight-up magical dream - just a parade of the most wondrous imagery ever committed to film.

I managed to get my two teen kids to watch one of your other recommendations - the one about the family moving to the new house while the mum is in hospital. They stuck with it to the end, which is pretty good considering. My son’s reaction at the end was ‘they could have done so much more with it’. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

I managed to get my two teen kids to watch one of your other recommendations - the one about the family moving to the new house while the mum is in hospital. They stuck with it to the end, which is pretty good considering. My son’s reaction at the end was ‘they could have done so much more with it’. :)

My neighbour Totoro. Watched some of it with my daughter yesterday. Didn’t get through it all yet. Was looking to watch Spirited Away at the time, happy to see it’s up now.

Arrietty
    My Neighbors The Yamadas
    Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away
    The Cat Returns
    The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya
    Shutter Island
    Crocodile Dundee
    Man on a ledge
    She’s Out of My League
    Anime Ga Kill!
    Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
    How to Be a Latin Lover
    Forces of Nature
    Made in Dagenham
    The fighter
    Oasis: Supersonic
    Sylvanian Families: Season 1
    Sylvanian Families: Everyone’s Big Dream Flying in the Sky
    Velvet Colleccion: Grand Finale
    Voulez-Vous Rire Avec Moi Ce Soir
    Voice: Season 1
    Toot-Toot: Cary Carson: Season 2
    ZZ TOP: THAT LITTLE OL' BAND FROM TEXAS

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We've just started schitt's creek and really liking it.
    20-30 minute episodes so flying through it, but there's 5 seasons up which should pay is a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Anyone seen 'Nothing to Hide' with Berenice Bejo? And I mean to the very end....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think this is one of the most beautiful of their animations - quite different in style to a lot of their stuff, like a hand-drawn painting. I also don't think it's as accessible to kids as a lot of their other stuff and it's a bit more melancholy. Very good film nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just popped on Arrietty to check which English dub it was, don't know about US but we got the better StudioCanal version rather than the Disney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

ixoy wrote: »
    I think this is one of the most beautiful of their animations - quite different in style to a lot of their stuff, like a hand-drawn painting. I also don't think it's as accessible to kids as a lot of their other stuff and it's a bit more melancholy. Very good film nonetheless.

it is hand drawn. it's stunning but not as engaging as as lot of the others. sublime nonetheless

Advertisement