Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milton Friedman, dead at 94

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/cb74eef8-7599-11db-aea1-0000779e2340.html

One of the most influential and controversial economists of the last century. How do you view him?
    As a dangerous man who wanted the western world to revert to pure capitalism, which caused much suffering for the majority of people.

R.I.P. Milton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

As one of the pioneers of the free market, who saw that capitalism is the only economic system that allows people near-complete self-control, and the scope to develop themselves in the way that they wish.
    R.I.P.

• A Great mind and thinker dies RIP

Arguably though the greatest antithesis to monetarism has been the Celtic Tiger economy that we are all currently enjoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Beloved by conservatives despite his views on prostitution and drugs, hated by the left for his villification of government spending, and revered by accademics worldwide.

While I wouldn't have the stomach for some of his ideas, there can be no denying he raised the standard of debate at a time when everyone who could was blindly sticking to Keynes-style tax-and-spend.

'Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation.'

'Nobody spends somebody else's money as carefully as he spends his own. Nobody uses somebody else's resources as carefully as he uses his own. So if you want efficiency and effectiveness, if you want knowledge to be properly utilized, you have to do it through the means of private property.'

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

RIP indeed.

We've just had a great class discussion on his life and work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Didn't realise he'd still been alive until now!

Advertisement