Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who's views do you hold as your own?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Keynes? Friedman? Adam Smith? Von Mises?

Classical? Neo-Classical etc....

Basically I'm interested to know who or what views people who post on here hold in high regard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I can't really think of any economist that is of international-fame that I'd let star me in my autobiographical epic.

Certainly Keynes had a major impact, but I'm fortunate to have had sixty years of economic discoveries at my disposal which means his views, particularly his lack of emphasis on long-run monetary policy, are deprecated.

I'm of the view that the economy is so vitally important to human life that it should be approached with the short-term in considerable stead and not to focus exclusively on long-term goals. 'Make the economy work for the people, not the people for the economy', or something equally clichéd and vomit-inducing.

However I really think the Irish economy needs a right kick up the hole for its own good. There was a good book written c. 1995 by an economist from UCD named Cathal Guiomard entitled The Irish disease and how to cure it : common-sense economics for a competitive world. It's an excellent primer on how hard-headed economics can provide the resources for soft-hearted policies. Or something.

I don't like the self-centred approach of neo-Classical you-may-not-comment-on-anything-positive economics, the aim of society should the maximisation of its utility - that requires substantial re-distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I'd like to think I'm not too doctrinaire about these matters. I'd read anything from Hayek to Krugman
    Ibid wrote:
    'Make the economy work for the people, not the people for the economy', or something equally clichéd and vomit-inducing.

yeah...something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

I pick Keynesian though a lack of imagination, in a moment of reminiscence. I could choose, arguably, the first recorded writer on Economics, Socrates. I'm sure you’ve read his work on the mater. But I want something obscure but recognisable to basic economists.

I think it is a great error in judgement to follow one school or worse still to rush to descries another. Problems and issue in economies are diverse and different and thus require different modes of thought. We have all seen the effects when one school of thought grabs political leads. Spend, Spend, Spend, till you’ve no money left, with Keynesian thought, the voter will love you. Or Dry money supply till your dole line is big enough, with Tacherisum, the bankers will love you I’m sure.{gross over simplification}

We Economists are given the task of monitoring and analysing economics to ensure it good advice and leadership. Economies are giant ships that must be kept going forwards at a steady pace, there machinery well maintained, there crew calm in choppy seas and steered with a measured voice.

Advertisement