Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Really not sure what this means

Options
  • 10-09-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

It's been a few weeks/months since this happened and I'm not entirely sure whether this was one dream or two. Just to put this into context, I NEVER dream, like never so you'd think that the dream/s would be far more pronounced in my mind, considering the subject matter, but I remember very little.

So, a bit of background... my mom passed very suddenly a number of years ago and that's pretty much it for background. Now, to the dream.

Mom has been dead for a number of years, but a knock on the door one day reveals mom standing there. It's like I was the only one who knew that she was dead coz I was questioning it, in my head, but nobody around me seemed to bat an eyelid. It's like they knew she was dead, but she's here now so if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I appeared to have gone along with it, really happy that mom was back. The dream continued and details are fuzzy but I do remember that one day we were out visiting a familiar place (I think it was the care home where my nan was a number of years prior to her passing, but she wasn't there). All of mom's family were around and again, nobody batted an eyelid.

I remember being very confused that everybody was so at ease with this.

It seems as if a number of years had passed (sounds crazy, but I think it was 8, which is strange considering her eighth anniversary was this summer), we went about our everyday lives and did all the usual stuff, dinners and family stuff, but I don't remember her venturing outside the door much save for a few trips to do some shopping, and the next thing I know, I'm standing over my mom watching the life drain out of her again and I'm begging everybody around me to help her. Mom was slumping onto the ground in a doorway as this was happening. She appeared to know what was happening and was in extreme discomfort (I don't want to say pain, coz I don't think she was). I'm screaming at all of my family around me and they're telling me it's ok and I go to help her but she seems to stop me. Right then is when mom utters her very first words to me throughout this entire experience. I have no recollection of what she said to me but I remember it calming me very much.

The really extraordinary thing about this is that I had a feeling I have never felt before... I was aware at the time that I was dreaming. It's like I was out of my body watching myself dream, but I can't remember watching myself dream if that makes sense!?

I'd really like some interpretation on this as it's confused the hell out of me ever since it happened given that I don't dream a lot as it is.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I'd really like some interpretation on this as it's confused the hell out of me ever since it happened given that I don't dream a lot as it is.
    Question. Before dream. Had you thought about your mom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Fathom wrote: »
    Question. Before dream. Had you thought about your mom?

Not specifically, no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Not specifically, no.
    Often dreams are influenced by thoughts or feelings that come before. Just wondering what could have been the source of your dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Fathom wrote: »
    Often dreams are influenced by thoughts or feelings that come before. Just wondering what could have been the source of your dream?

I’m really not sure. I rarely dream. I, consciously, think I dream about once a year or once every 6 months. There was no trigger, that I’m aware of, which would have had my mom front and center of my mind to make me have this dream so I’m totally at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't be a believer in dreams having to mean anything.

They are just random thoughts and images that your brain creates stories out of. We have all had very crazy or unusual dreams in our time.

I wouldn't overthink it having to have meaning.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some dreams could result from study while awake. Sleep can be processing time to organize thoughts. Others may be random, seemingly without meaning. While certain therapy treatment approaches suggest:
    A content-analytic scheme derived from S. S. Tomkins's (1979) script theory, applied to 3 during-treatment and 3 posttreatment dreams, showed in posttreatment dreams a significant increase in positive affects, a decrease in negative affects, and more effective initiatives by the S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

NIMAN wrote: »

They are just random thoughts and images that your brain creates stories out of. We have all had very crazy or unusual dreams in our time.

I wouldn't overthink it having to have meaning.

The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud, and other works by the psychiatric discipline suggest that they can be interpreted and linked to reasons why. I would be cautious in accepting their interpretations, as they are at the case study level of analysis, and in some cases such as Freud, there may have been bias in the selection of subjects; e.g., only young girls and women with money to pay his fees were included in his cases.

Black Swan wrote: »
    The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud
    Historical significance only. Freud debunked.

Advertisement