Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

D'Agger wrote: »
    I know this has been done to death lads but just so I'm clear - you must have sky to order the PPV via BT? I've eir so I'm assuming I'm fúcked for watching at home unless I sail out into choppy waters.

With Eir You can subscribe to bt sports package, unlike VM It’s just a case then of paying the extra €30 or whatever then for the bt sports box office for this event and the couple other big events.
    I’m not sure if you can order a 1 off bt box office with Eir if you do not already have the bt sports subscription with them??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Oops my mistake, seems Eir dropped BT also late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Conor current hairstyle is a bit moppy/floppy on top, I wonder if we will be seeing a return of the short braids on fight night?? His vision was impaired vs Khabib as he had similar mop but if you look at the Poirer fight he had a cats eyes radar on the opponent.

Man Vs Manure will, alas, be unable to post again in this forum until some time after the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

bit harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

dave1982 wrote: »

Good to see this. It definitely signals a change in his approach and any belief he may have held that he was bigger than the company and entitled to favours over other fighters.

I'm looking forward to seeing his demeanor in those media scrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ah Axwell, if you're gonna go all Tony Soprano, you've got to be authentic in the delivery! Capisce? ;)

Have only looked at the rest of the card for the first time this evening. Awful stuff.

I think it’s ok.

Looking forward to both main card women’s fights. Pettis is always fun to watch and Maycee Barber has been wrecking people so eager to see her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Good to see Lee Hammond out there as part of the team. I know Lee has been out there before but this is only experience for him and I'm sure there is more to come from him.

dashoonage wrote: »
    80 notes to watch a mcgregor fight , the good times are back baby!!!!!
    Fúcking hell, €80 is pricey. Any one here fancy doing a boards BYOB viewing for it at their house? :pac:

Yeah, no problem I'll do it for €75 :pac:

PM for details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Finally he's gone, thread was taking a weird(er) turn for a while.

I'm liking the media day thing as well, hopefully we get the witty Conor back, or at least some form of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If he is available in media room he may be temporarily back on the straight and narrow with less sense of entitlement and special treatment. Now lets see if he turns up at all or indeed very late.

Fool me once.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He'd probably shock more people if he turned up on time to be honest, no one would be ready for him.

Something has him motivated hopefully it lasts, will see after fight if he goes back to lifestyle last 2/3 years or really wants more fights this year and re/claim a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How did people think he looked in the pad session with Roddy.

Didn't look too much other than giving out about Rocky 3 style music been played while training. No vlog from voddy I see, there was another guy on pads too Roddy had the big pad. Maybe Roddy injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Didn't look too much other than giving out about Rocky 3 style music been played while training. No vlog from voddy I see, there was another guy on pads too Roddy had the big pad. Maybe Roddy injured?

Phil Sutcliffe, boxing coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

How did people think he looked in the pad session with Roddy.

Looked more like working on technique than going full speed/power.

I would have reservations that he has lost some of the pop in his punches though. He looked like he was pushing a lot of his shots vs Khabib as opposed to the usual fast twitch shots accustomed to seeing him use. It’s a question of many I have about him heading into this.

Disclaimer: I have very little real world knowledge of striking coaching and this is all just to my uneducated eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Was listening to the athletic mma podcast last night (with shaun al-shatti and chuck middenhall - both ex-mma fighting journalists) and they mentioned how John Kavanagh expects to be paid for interviews now.

The comment in the video about 'conor knowing more about fighting than the rest put together'

does seem likes he's there as a hired gun basically - rather than the 'us against the world' and mentor/friend vibe they had when coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

US2 wrote: »
    Phil Sutcliffe, boxing coach.
    Bra Brady from Crumlin is there as well. The oul fella with the belly pad in the video above.

Too many chiefs and taggers-on in that camp for my liking. Not that I think it would affect the outcome against Cerrone but the same kinda big entourage, 'everybody along for the party' vibe we've seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah seems to be a big increase in YES men for this camp, still think he'll win with ease next week anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Who is going to walk out first? Connor I presume due to his inactivity??

xtal191 wrote: »
    Yeah seems to be a big increase in YES men for this camp, still think he'll win with ease next week anyway

Who are the yes men?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Who is going to walk out first? Connor I presume due to his inactivity??

The UFC won't care about that, McGregor out second to build up the 'big fight' vibe.

Kavanagh said:

"This training camp is about getting out of Conor's way ..."

"He has days where he wants to train hard, days where he wants to go slow ..."
    "It's not so much about us coaches sitting down and game-planning, Conor knows more about fighting than the rest of us put together.."

Some of these are daft things for a coach to say. You'd have to wonder what kind of a role (if any) he has in the camp and how he feels about the extra boys from Crumin being brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

SteM wrote: »
    The UFC won't care about that, McGregor out second to build up the 'big fight' vibe.

TBF, he came out first in most of his biggest fights.

Mendes, Aldo, Alvarez, Nate 2, Khabib. Out first in all those fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Who are the yes men?

In the recent MacLife interview Kavanagh pretty much said Conor is running the whole camp himself this time, he's deciding when to go hard, take it easy and the coaches aren't game planning etc etc.

To me that's completely surrounding yourself with yes men

In the recent MacLife interview Kavanagh pretty much said Conor is running the whole camp himself this time, he's deciding when to go hard, take it easy and the coaches aren't game planning etc etc.

I think anyone with a bit of common sense would take that entire interview with a large pinch of salt. Conor himself only recently is on record as saying he probably disrespected his team last camp and he’s listening/working with them a lot closer now. Sure wasn’t it even said prior to the fight that Kavanagh sat him down and said he needs to stick to a structured camp.

Also brings in actual boxing coaches for pad work = yes men?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

It's hard to listen to JK these days.
    McG doing his own thing is either going to go 2 ways, either he beats Cerrone easy and his team will be saying how great he is, or he looks like dog sh1t and his team will say he was doing his own thing. Mcg hasn't learned a thing from SBG in years. He should have went to to another gym to give it a go a few years back, maybe one of the big American ones. Ireland is not the place to become the best on the world.

Even when he was training for Floyd he has Roddy and JK doing his camp, it was a joke. JK wouldn't know his arse from his elbow in a boxing ring, and here he was training a guy for his first Pro fight against one of the best boxers of the last 20 years. Comical stuff. Roddy seems a decent fella, but I'm sorry he's a pad holder and calls a few shots. There is nothing magic about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

BigMo1 wrote: »
    TBF, he came out first in most of his biggest fights.

Mendes, Aldo, Alvarez, Nate 2, Khabib. Out first in all those fights.

Aldo, Alverez, Khabib he was challanger so it's right he went out first. Nate 2 he was coming off the loss from the first fight, again its right that he comes out first.

No belt on the line here, he comes out second imo.

Advertisement