Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC Questions for Newbies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Question for those who actually fight, just wondering bout nerves back stage in locker room.That hour or so when you just waiting to go out.What do ye do and be thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dave1982 wrote: »
    Question for those who actually fight, just wondering bout nerves back stage in locker room.That hour or so when you just waiting to go out.What do ye do and be thinking?

Everyone is different. Some are calm and collected. Some are wound up and bursting to go. Some are ****ting a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Bored mostly, you've probably been hanging around for a few hours at that stage and just want to get you warm-up started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I don't get the reference, what has Mazzagati got to do with some stupid lion... I'm sure I'm going to look stupid now if you point out an obvious link :-)

A terrible joke admittedly. Cecil Peoples is a referee who many would say was worst ref in MMA. He makes Mazzagati look competent. The lion that was shot was also called Cecil.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As the lads said everyone was different.
    I expected to be nervous (I was a bit antsy at the weigh-in). But on fight night I was very relaxed, almost bored. I had a little nap in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It really depends on the person and how they deal with nerves.

I have seen guys sleeping right up until minutes before they go out to guys vomiting with nerves and pulling out of fights right before they go out.

I remember thinking "How the hell did I get myself into this situation?". Once you have entered a few competitions its generally all the same and you get used to it to a certain degree. Like driving. The nerves creep in again if you are moving up a level or have been out for a long time but, I found it helps to have chilled out people with you too, corner men, coach etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've been watching MMA for years but I'm still confused regarding when they decide to call for a no contest or when they opt for a technical decision.

Anyone care to explain? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've been watching MMA for years but I'm still confused regarding when they decide to call for a no contest or when they opt for a technical decision.

Im not sure anyone can actually call for a no contest. I think for it to happen on the night, the fight needs to be stopped(ie injury,eye poke) during the 1st round. I think if its stopped after rd1 then it goes to judges and they make a decision based on what they seen. Fights can be changed to a no contest after fight night, I think this is usually when 1 fighter fails a drugs test/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That_Guy wrote: »

If a fight is stopped due to an intentional foul, regardless of when it happens, then it's a Disqualification.
    If a fighter is unable to continue due to an accidental foul, and 2 rounds* are not yet complete. Then it's ruled a No-Contest.
    If 2 rounds* are complete then it goes to the score cards (including the incomplete last round). The winner is awarded a Technical Decision, or a Technical Draw if scorecards are equal.

*3 rounds needed in 5 round fight, ie majority of rounds need to be complete

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JoeK20

IrishAlice wrote: »
    This might seem like a silly question but here goes.

In the Lawler McDonald fight both fighters were seriously busted up. McDonald broke his nose in the first round and Lawler was staggering around the ring after getting the knee in the head.

Why didn't the ref call a halt to this fight sooner? It seemed like both of them were a lot more injured than Mendes was so I'm just wondering what the difference is. Is it because Mendes stopped defending himself?

Well Mendes had only that 2 week camp so was pretty much gassed out. Conor pretty much tko'd him with that punch and he dint really defend himself on the ground.
    With Lawler and MacDonald, it was more superficial injuries until the later rounds then MacDonald couldn't really go anymore.
    If they're still standing there trading the referee can't really step in buit its pretty much putting it in the ref's hands if you turtle up (even if your blocking punches - a la Faber vs Barao)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭srfc d16

I put this in the live thread but figured I'd have a better chance of getting a response in this thread so here goes.

I rarely watch weigh ins and am a relatively casual fan but can someone explain to me why so many fighters are coming in at what I assume is over the weight limit? Plenty of 155.5, 156 and so on weights already. Is it only strictly enforced on title fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I put this in the live thread but figured I'd have a better chance of getting a response in this thread so here goes.

I rarely watch weigh ins and am a relatively casual fan but can someone explain to me why so many fighters are coming in at what I assume is over the weight limit? Plenty of 155.5, 156 and so on weights already. Is it only strictly enforced on title fights?

Title fights have to be bang on the money or under, there's a 1lb limit on non title fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭srfc d16

ASOT wrote: »
    Title fights have to be bang on the money or under, there's a 1lb limit on non title fights.

Thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Why are there no Women's Flyweight or Featherweight divisions in the UFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Why are there no Women's Flyweight or Featherweight divisions in the UFC?

Pretty much because the talent pool isn't that deep especially with the UFCs partnership with Invicta FC, sure there is decent fighters out there at flyweight like Barb Honchock and Vanessa Porto but Featherweight a different story I'm afraid unfortunately the women there if even halfway capable end up becoming punchbags for Cristine Cyborg.

Having 115 along with 135 allows the UFC some leverage to perhaps catch some female talent from other weight classes (including 105 atomweights such is the case with Jessica Penne,Michelle Waterson) to compete in the UFC while I suppose making sure Invicta FC doesn't get watered down.

Invicta FC if you're interested actually has an event on tonight it streams on UFC fight pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What is the best option to watch UFC (mainly)? I did the youtube pay per view for mgregor just because I didnt have time to look at options. Are there any Sky channels that carry all the ufc's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

What is the best option to watch UFC (mainly)? I did the youtube pay per view for mgregor just because I didnt have time to look at options. Are there any Sky channels that carry all the ufc's?

Bt sports will have the majority of events bar one or two fight pass only cards, that would be the best package to go with until August when the rights are up for sale.

Just on this, UFC Fight Pass is like Netflix for fights. If you've not signed up, they offer a free trial and it includes all past fights and they also stream live events from other promotions.

It's definitely worth it in my opinion and they're revamping the layout soon. They'll put up the PPV events about a month after they've been shown.

They also carry the exclusive Fight Pass prelims and Fox Sports prelims on there for every event as far as I know.

The sport has never been so accessible. You should definitely check out this this thread for a big list of legendary fights you may have missed out on.

That'll keep you busy for a while. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

This might be considered a stupid question but what exactly is an interim title in UFC?

• Advertisement

JustShon wrote: »
    This might be considered a stupid question but what exactly is an interim title in UFC?

Not a stupid question at all. :)

It works the same way as boxing/kickboxing etc.

If a champion is injured for a long time and can't defend the belt, in this case the UFC don't want to put the entire division on hold so they'll usually have the two top ranked fighters fight for an interim belt.

Same rules apply to a standard title bout. 5 x 5 minute rounds.

The victor becomes the interim champion who will then wait for the champion to return. This is known as a "unification fight". The winner will be the undisputed champion of that division.

If, the champion can't return or vacates the belt, the holder of the interim belt becomes the undisputed champion by default.

Hope that explains it.

This is a bizarre scenario this time around with the featherweight belt because the champion (McGregor) is actually not inactive. He's just fighting at a different weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's basically a for the time being belt created due to inactivity of the original holder in that weight class. It keeps a clear picture of a divisions structure while the the actual champ heals up or in this case takes a fight in a weight class he is not even ranked in.

While glorified number one contender might be the short time view on it, situations like Renan Barao he defended multiple times interim was ditched and Cruz was stripped they never fought each other in the end.

Recent Interim champs Conor and Werdum took out their opponents to become undisputed champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Thanks for the explanations guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cardio question

JK has said that he knows Conor's Cardio failed him against Diaz and that theyt would be working on that for the July fight.

That fight is now3 months away, how easy is it to 'fix' the cardio issue in such a short time, and will a fix only give him another 2 rounds??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

scudzilla wrote: »
    Cardio question

JK has said that he knows Conor's Cardio failed him against Diaz and that theyt would be working on that for the July fight.

That fight is now3 months away, how easy is it to 'fix' the cardio issue in such a short time, and will a fix only give him another 2 rounds??

You're hardly a newbie!
    I'd assume it'll be a mix of cardio and tactics i.e don't load up on all punches, maybe less volume?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You're hardly a newbie!
    I'd assume it'll be a mix of cardio and tactics i.e don't load up on all punches, maybe less volume?

I'm no newbie but there's still a lot of stuff i'm unsure of and would rather ask people who know, if i knew everything i'd end up a proper twat on here :pac:

Cardio question

Was listening to Peter Carroll on Second Captains earlier and he said that Conor's strength and conditioning coach was talking to him and said it would take at least 5-6 months to adjust to that weight differential.

I'm no expert on the matter at all but you'd have to imagine he's been training at 170 for a fair bit since the last fight.

There was rumours floating about that he had a viral infection which hampered him a bit but I don't buy it.

I think it's going to be more a case of conserving energy this time around rather than go for the kill like he did last time. That energy mixed with adrenaline dumping killed him in that fight.

Whether you can 'fix' cardio issues within the short timeframe remains to be seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

That Guy and WrongWay answered it better than I could anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

This isn't really answering your question but its connected to the cardio side of things and I think JK spoke about this recently for preparation for the next fight.

For 189 & 194 McG spent a good part of his training camp in LA before going to Vegas in the last few(2?) weeks. For 196 McG stayed in Dublin for most of the camp, travelled to LA about 3 weeks before and then only moved onto LV about 5/6 days before the fight. I've never been in LA but I'd imagine its a lot easier to breath with the air coming off the Pacific than it is to get a breath in the desert heat of LV. I('m not fit but) noticed feeling short of air when I was in Vegas and I wasn't in the middle of a fight! So I think going to LV a bit earlier, giving more time to adjust to the heat/humidity will help in terms of not gassing just as quickly during a fight.

Advertisement