Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

It depends on your age.... If you are 16, it's gotta be an A1. If you are 18 you can get an A2 and if you are 24 you can get an A Licence right off the bat.

Super stuff mate cheers for the clarification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

i have a provisional A licence dating back to january 2004,the licence hasn't lapsed by 5 years thankfully,but i have been told to get the unrestricted A licence i must do all IBT modues,can this be clarified in detail please if possible???

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    i have a provisional A licence dating back to january 2004,the licence hasn't lapsed by 5 years thankfully,but i have been told to get the unrestricted A licence i must do all IBT modues,can this be clarified in detail please if possible???

Yes that's true. The old A permit is restricted to 25Kw so to ride on the unrestricted A you must complete ibt modules 1,3 & 5.
    you need you LP prior to doing your ibt.
    you can get the A2 LP without needing ibt if you wish to.

thanks for that,any links,info on those modules????if i'm going to do it may as well go all the way,are those modules difficult???i dont have a full understanding of the "new" regulations,haven't physically driven a bike since 2008,but my LP expired only last year,any idea of the total cost involved in those 3 modules on average?????

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    thanks for that,any links,info on those modules????if i'm going to do it may as well go all the way,are those modules difficult???i dont have a full understanding of the "new" regulations,haven't physically driven a bike since 2008,but my LP expired only last year,any idea of the total cost involved in those 3 modules on average?????

If you read my first post in this thread you'll see links to all the info you need.

• Advertisement

Roadskill wrote: »
    If you read my first post in this thread you'll see links to all the info you need.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Hey there.
    I'm struggling to understand where i stand with all these new regs and i'm hoping somebody in the know might be able to help me.
    I have read the sticky but i am still not clear on what the heck i need to do.
    This is my situation...
    1. Over 30 years old
    2. I'm on my second learner permit (992)
    3. The permit covers me in catagory - A and A1. This permit will expire in July 2014.
    4. Bike is a 650cc Honda Deauville (Restricted)

Can i apply to do my driving test in category A now ?

Do i need to do any IBT training ?

I just want to get the full A licence, as easy as possible.

Many thanks for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

emmbaasee wrote: »
    Hey there.
    I'm struggling to understand where i stand with all these new regs and i'm hoping somebody in the know might be able to help me.
    I have read the sticky but i am still not clear on what the heck i need to do.
    This is my situation...
    1. Over 30 years old
    2. I'm on my second learner permit (992)
    3. The permit covers me in catagory - A and A1. This permit will expire in July 2014.
    4. Bike is a 650cc Honda Deauville (Restricted)

Can i apply to do my driving test in category A now ?

Do i need to do any IBT training ?

I just want to get the full A licence, as easy as possible.

Many thanks for any replies

No you cant apply for a category 'A' test

Your old type 'A' permit has a restriction on it but you can do an 'A2' test on it & get an 'A2' full licence.

If you want to do a category 'A' test to ride any bike unrestricted you would have to change your permit for the new 'A' plastic card permit which is unrestricted and then complete an IBT course modules 1, 3, 5. (18-Hours).

Your Deauville is suitable for the 'A2' test if restricted to 25kw on your current permit, it is not suitable for the 'A' test even if it is unrestricted.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    No you cant apply for a category 'A' test

Your old type 'A' permit has a restriction on it but you can do an 'A2' test on it & get an 'A2' full licence.

If you want to do a category 'A' test to ride any bike unrestricted you would have to change your permit for the new 'A' plastic card permit which is unrestricted and then complete an IBT course modules 1, 3, 5. (18-Hours).

Your Deauville is suitable for the 'A2' test if restricted to 25kw on your current permit, it is not suitable for the 'A' test even if it is unrestricted.

Great, thanks for the reply.
    Well now i'm not sure as to whether i should go ahead and apply for the new 'A' permit. Thus allowing me to achieve my ultimate goal which is to get a full 'A' licence.:confused:
    Will i be allowed to do this while currently holding a valid (old type) learner permit ?:confused: In other words, am i committed to continuing down this path toward the A2 licence ?
    I can get a loan of several different sized bikes for the test, to suit the engine requirements. I don't fancy doing the 'A2' test and then having to go do a test for the 'A' after that. Jesus, once is enough !!
    What would you guys do if money was not the biggest issue ?? ( it is an issue but not the biggest)
    I just want to get out of this RSA licence nonsense.
    I'm getting sick of all the expence/hassle as i'm doing Truck and Bus at the moment as well.

Great, thanks for the reply.
    Well now i'm not sure as to whether i should go ahead and apply for the new 'A' permit. Thus allowing me to achieve my ultimate goal which is to get a full 'A' licence.:confused:
    Will i be allowed to do this while currently holding a valid (old type) learner permit ?:confused: In other words, am i committed to continuing down this path toward the A2 licence ?
    I can get a loan of several different sized bikes for the test, to suit the engine requirements. I don't fancy doing the 'A2' test and then having to go do a test for the 'A' after that. Jesus, once is enough !!
    What would you guys do if money was not the biggest issue ?? ( it is an issue but not the biggest)
    I just want to get out of this RSA licence nonsense.
    I'm getting sick of all the expence/hassle as i'm doing Truck and Bus at the moment as well.

Yes as you are over 24 you can change your old 'A' permit for the new 'A' as soon as you like, it will also have the 'A2' on it so you can still ride your own bike on it, complete your IBT for category 'A' & then you can ride any bike unrestricted once you can get insured on it.

You will not have to wait six months before taking you 'A' test as you will be allowed for the time you held your old 'A' permit.

• Advertisement

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Yes as you are over 24 you can change your old 'A' permit for the new 'A' as soon as you like, it will also have the 'A2' on it so you can still ride your own bike on it, complete your IBT for category 'A' & then you can ride any bike unrestricted once you can get insured on it.

You will not have to wait six months before taking you 'A' test as you will be allowed for the time you held your old 'A' permit.

Great. Thanks for the information.:)
    I think i'll just go ahead and get the 'A' permit !
    Hopefully these questions and answers will help other people in the same boat as me !

More money for the RSA/Goverment:rolleyes:

Great. Thanks for the information.:)
    I think i'll just go ahead and get the 'A' permit !
    Hopefully these questions and answers will help other people in the same boat as me !

More money for the RSA/Goverment:rolleyes:

Unfortunately everyone in your situation is in the same boat. You don't have to pay out for ibt if you don't want to, just go for the A2. If you want the privalidge of an unrestricted licence for any size bike the you will have to go through the RSA nonsense as you put it. European legislation dictates what we need to do to achieve our goals and believe me if you want to do the bus or truck as a profession getting a bike licence is simple compared to that.
    Good luck with your ibt. Just make sure you get what you pay for and try to get as much from it you can. Maybe It will turn out to be helpful as your instructor should tailor it to you needs if you have some experience.

Roadskill wrote: »
    Unfortunately everyone in your situation is in the same boat. You don't have to pay out for ibt if you don't want to, just go for the A2. If you want the privalidge of an unrestricted licence for any size bike the you will have to go through the RSA nonsense as you put it. European legislation dictates what we need to do to achieve our goals and believe me if you want to do the bus or truck as a profession getting a bike licence is simple compared to that.
    Good luck with your ibt. Just make sure you get what you pay for and try to get as much from it you can. Maybe It will turn out to be helpful as your instructor should tailor it to you needs if you have some experience.
    I hold a truck and bus licence and the relevant cpc qualifications for both,and had to do initial training to get those,let me tell you that aint cheap,i'm in the same position as you with the bike,and I just have to bite the bullet and do it if I want the full A licence which I do,so ibt modules 1,3 & 5,i had the chance to do my test before all this but didn't so now I must accept the e.u laws and live with it

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Was looking to get a bike soon. I had a scooter and a Honda 80 Nsr bout 10 years ago. Did the test and failed it back in 2003

So I'm 29 and have full car license since 2004. I have the new plastic license since doing my truck c license last year. I see I have the catergory Am on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Robbie G wrote: »
    Was looking to get a bike soon. I had a scooter and a Honda 80 Nsr bout 10 years ago. Did the test and failed it back in 2003

So I'm 29 and have full car license since 2004. I have the new plastic license since doing my truck c license last year. I see I have the catergory Am on it.

Category AM is only for Scooters and trikes that go a maximum of 45kph

Robbie G wrote: »

Is your provisional licence (learner permit) over 5 years out of date???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I passed my theory test last mon and was hoping to get an A LP fairly fast so I can start my IBT, but i couldnt sort it an had to make a booking with NDLS in Cork for next week?!??

I suspect it will be a few weeks until I get the actual LP after that.

However, I am in my 30's and have an old M licence... is that any good to get started on the IBT? I'm in East cork so cork or waterford are doable locations?

deegs wrote: »
    I passed my theory test last mon and was hoping to get an A LP fairly fast so I can start my IBT, but i couldnt sort it an had to make a booking with NDLS in Cork for next week?!??

I suspect it will be a few weeks until I get the actual LP after that.

However, I am in my 30's and have an old M licence... is that any good to get started on the IBT? I'm in East cork so cork or waterford are doable locations?

You shouldn't have to book into the NDLS, you should be able to just walk in. It's not THAT busy, you'll be waiting around 40 mins if you go after lunch time.

It'll be a minimum of 4 weeks for the Permit.

That licence won't get you started you need the physical Permit in your hands to be checked by the instructor. Depending on how far down near Waterford you are, I'd advise going to Richard at Roadskill.

beefjerky wrote: »
    For those with a full car license wondering if they have to redo the theory test to get a motorbike learner permit:

If you passed the theory test before October 25th 2006 and now have a full car license, then you do not have to resit the theory test to get a motobike learner permit. This is the date that some segregation of license types took place (not sure what exactly - but this came from the RSA directly).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can check the date you took the theory test by calling RSA and giving them your driver number and requesting the info.

This is what I did, then when I got to the NDLS to apply for tha Cat A leaner permit I was expecting some friction on this and there was a little; the NDLS system has not built this feature in apparently! What happened then was the girl went to get a supervisor who had to call the head office as, to my surprise, "this has not come up before".

They then came back and said that as the system does not allow for this situation and all fields have to be complete, they would make up a theory test number so my application could be complete... Pre-October 25th 2006 theory test numbers must be in a different format or something - either way she said my theory test number was not on the system, but they could see I had done it and how long I had held a provisional before getting my full car license.

So my application had the following:
    Where you hold a full licence but are now applying for a learner permit in a different category particular, you must submit:
    A fully completed NDLS "Application Form for a Learner Permit" - Yes
    The appropriate fee - Yes
    Your current full licence -Yes
    Theory Test certificate if required - No
    CPC Certificate of Professional Competency (if applicable) - No
    A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case - No
    Evidence of PPSN - Yes

Hope this might be useful to someone.

Great information, i haven't seen this anywhere. I passed my theory test in 2005 and eventually got a full car license in 2011 following two learner permits.

Did the RSA send you out a letter with your theory test date on it or did they just tell you verbally? Would you have a link to any official site explaining that this is the case, i would rather go into the NDLS center with as much official information as i can. :)

cisk wrote: »
    Great information, i haven't seen this anywhere. I passed my theory test in 2005 and eventually got a full car license in 2011 following two learner permits.

Did the RSA send you out a letter with your theory test date on it or did they just tell you verbally? Would you have a link to any official site explaining that this is the case, i would rather go into the NDLS center with as much official information as i can. :)

You book the test online here http://www.theorytest.ie/english/driver-theory-test/index.php And you get to pick a date from available dates and times.

• Advertisement

You book the test online here http://www.theorytest.ie/english/driver-theory-test/index.php And you get to pick a date from available dates and times.

Thanks but my post was in response to the post about not having to do the theory test at all if you passed one before oct 2006 which i did.

Doing a bit of research its when they made the motorcycle theory test a separate test.

The only official information i could find was Wicklow cc website.
    A theory test certificate issued prior to 21 October 2006 in respect of the category B entitled applicants to apply for first Learner Permit in respect of category B, A, A1, M and W provided the certificate is presented to the Motor Tax Office within two years of the date of issue i.e. passing the test in association with a learner permit application.

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Motortax/TheoryTest.aspx

So i rang up the RSA and i did indeed pass a theory test in 2005 and she confirmed that i do not have to do the theory test again. So I'll be heading into the NDLS center tomorrow to apply for my learner permit.

Thanks to the poster who pointed this out, i did not see this anywhere online. Saved my the hassle of going through it a second time and of course whatever the fee is for the privilege. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

so now I have my category A learner permit and also have my IBT completed for category A ,can I now ride any size of bike unrestricted ?? I plan to get no larger than 400 cc but it would be good to know if theres any restriction.

so now I have my category A learner permit and also have my IBT completed for category A ,can I now ride any size of bike unrestricted ?? I plan to get no larger than 400 cc but it would be good to know if theres any restriction.

You should have covered all of this during your IBT, new plastic card learner permit is unrestricted, so if you have this & IBT complete you can ride any motorcycle that you can get insured on.

If you want to use your own bike for a driving test it must be min 595cc, 50kw, 175kgs, so something to think about when buying a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Is it worth doing IBT on the instructors bike or my own bike? I'm window shopping and Going for a category A licence but wouldn't feel comfortable riding anything over a 300cc at the moment, although eventual aim is to get a fjr1300 in the future.

Is it worth doing IBT on the instructors bike or my own bike? I'm window shopping and Going for a category A licence but wouldn't feel comfortable riding anything over a 300cc at the moment, although eventual aim is to get a fjr1300 in the future.

The instructors is a better shout I think.... He'll have you go on 2 different bikes and at that, if you drop it, you're only out the excess for the insurance and it won't effect your pocket by more than 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This sticky is very helpful, thanks. Am I right in thinking that I can apply for an A license, because I am over 24? Once I do the 18 hours of training...

I used to have provisional, but that's going back to about 2006...

As a fully licensed car river, can I still drive a 50cc ped?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    This sticky is very helpful, thanks. Am I right in thinking that I can apply for an A license, because I am over 24? Once I do the 18 hours of training...

I used to have provisional, but that's going back to about 2006...

As a fully licensed car river, can I still drive a 50cc ped?

Yes, theory test, apply for 'A' permit, IBT 1,3,5. (18-Hours).

If your full 'B' car licence was issued before 21/10/2006 & not expired by more than 10-years you can ride a moped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks roadcraft, that's clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Hi all,

I've a few queries on motorbike licencing relating to my father and myself.
    Firstly, I have had a provisional A1 since around 2007, I then renewed this in early 2013 and obtained a provisional A2 (I was 23 at the time). I have done no lessons or IBT to date, however I have recently turned 24.
    My father has a provisional A1 since 2009, he sat the theory test and has done nothing since. This expired late in 2013 and has yet to be renewed.
    We are both looking at buying a bike and doing our tests over the summer. Could anyone confirm our best course of action? Realistically, the A2 licence would be more than sufficient for both of us. However, I understand we will both need to do 18 hours of IBT regardless of if we pursue the A2 or A route, so it would seem like it makes more sense for us both to do the A and leave our options open in the future.
    Is there anything else which we should consider in relation to this? Would I be correct to assume we should both renew and get provisional A licences and go on from there? No bike or equipment is bought yet and we will probably hire the bike for the test, so that side of things shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks for any help.

Regards,
    Patrick.

Advertisement