Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was down there the other day, and it looked like they were dredging a lock or channel from the GCD to somewhere else - I'm guessing it's the "graving dock" (of which I've never heard!) - it was forward of the bow of the Naomh Eanna, the other side of the slip that the Viking ducks use.

I'm sorry now I didn't get nosy and ask some of the fellas who were there what was going on.

Whatever about the Naomh Eanna itself, it'd be a criminal disaster if they wind up polluting the dock and possibly the Liffey while they're at it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I caught the end of the "Naomh Eanna" questions in the Oireachtas today and seems that Jimmy Deenihan (?) is to meet with members of the "N.E.Trust'. The input from the TDs that spoke was supportive and they all called for a moratorium on scrapping. Eamon O'Cuiv spoke in Irish at the end of the questions so I don't know whether he was talking about the "Naomh Eanna" or something completely different.

I caught the end of the "Naomh Eanna" questions in the Oireachtas today and seems that Jimmy Deenihan (?) is to meet with members of the "N.E.Trust'. The input from the TDs that spoke was supportive and they all called for a moratorium on scrapping. Eamon O'Cuiv spoke in Irish at the end of the questions so I don't know whether he was talking about the "Naomh Eanna" or something completely different.

Is that available online anywhere?

I'm not sure if I'd understand most of what O Cuiv said even if it was in English :eek: but I'd be interested in seeing the questions, and might possibly make a fist of what he said at the end......

There may be a link in here somewhere http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/live-audio/ but I found it hard to use, hence my missing the start of the questions. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

According to the spy's :) They didn't bother with stop planks at the mouth of the dock they just ripped it out and not with much care for the dock.

1422428_1437198336516994_274191315_n.jpg

1920552_1437198503183644_463762852_n.jpg

• Advertisement

When were those taken, Fergal? JCB was the other side of the lock when I saw it the other day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When were those taken, Fergal? JCB was the other side of the lock when I saw it the other day.

Tuesday ;)

fergal.b wrote: »
    Tuesday ;)

How odd, I'm 99% sure that's the day I was down there.... but it was a different set-up as I remember it.....

Anyway, that's neither here nor there :D. Here's hoping they can stall things enough to at least make a decent plan that won't wreck all around them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Irish Ship & Barge Fabrication Co. They wouldn't be coming at this from a self interest commercial point of view would they?

The Cill Airne was in seagoing condition when retired, despite many years of abuse and the IS&BF Co did a fine job for her new owners in converting her to a floating restaurant.

The NE would keep them busy for a long, long time.

But again, worth asking, where did all the money from rent of two commercial companies trading from the NE go, are there accounts to show expenditure?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is that available online anywhere?

I'm not sure if I'd understand most of what O Cuiv said even if it was in English :eek: but I'd be interested in seeing the questions, and might possibly make a fist of what he said at the end......

Here is a Youtube clip of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1uAccL69YQ

• Advertisement

Well, the Naomh Eanna featured on Seascapes tonight - but only with an archive clip of Sean Lemass wittering on about it back whenever she was built.

Very useful in the current circumstances!

The Facebook page for the "Naomh Eanna Trust" has gone from 141 likes on the 6th Feb. to over 1,000 this morning - if this momentum can be continued and many of those likes converted into donations/funding shares or whatever, there's a real chance that something good can come out of this fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Tabnabs wrote: »
    But again, worth asking, where did all the money from rent of two commercial companies trading from the NE go, are there accounts to show expenditure?
    maybe they did not pay any, or it was just a peppercorn rent? Very unusual anyway. I know someone else who wanted to operate a business from a vessel elsewhere once and they were told they would not get planning permission to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The Irish Ship & Barge Fabrication Co. They wouldn't be coming at this from a self interest commercial point of view would they?

The Cill Airne was in seagoing condition when retired, despite many years of abuse and the IS&BF Co did a fine job for her new owners in converting her to a floating restaurant.

The NE would keep them busy for a long, long time.

The Cill Airne was far from in seagoing condition. Her last bottom survey showed the hull to be in terrible condition, with one plate being punctured when a surveyer poked a finger through a rusted area. It was no longer economic for the college to use the vessel, It was however still in use to train crew in the use of enclosed lifeboats, two of which were placed horribly on a modified upper deck.

In use the ship was far from abused. You could eat your dinner from the deck of the engine control room. The modified bridge was equally spotless. It was worked appropriately for its age. Once a week to Roches point if the weather allowed in autumn and spring, with an occasional day trip during the summer months. The rest of the time was spent on year round maintenance of both upper and lower decks.
    IS&BF at Cork Dockyard restored the vessel to the layout she had in the late 70s, when it commenced work as a training ship, and then ruined it by adding an extra upper deck.
    Before
    ShipSpotting.com
    606480.jpg
    © MIIMM
    During
    ShipSpotting.com
    161534.jpg
    © Seamus Corcoran
    After
    ShipSpotting.com
    912110.jpg
    © John Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The facebook group seem to think, judging by the insidious onboard activity, she's being gutted from the inside out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In use the ship was far from abused. You could eat your dinner from the deck of the engine control room. The modified bridge was equally spotless. It was worked appropriately for its age. Once a week to Roches point if the weather allowed in autumn and spring, with an occasional day trip during the summer months. The rest of the time was spent on year round maintenance of both upper and lower decks.
    IS&BF at Cork Dockyard restored the vessel to the layout she had in the late 70s, when it commenced work as a training ship, and then ruined it by adding an extra upper deck.

I spent many, many hours onboard that ship. It was our floating classroom for MN deck and engine cadets. I've helped start her, steered her, anchored her and tied her up in Cork many times too. I know here as well as all the other cadets that spent time aboard.

Thankfully we ate all food from our hands while aboard. I wouldn't have recommended eating off the deck plates, no matter how well painted they appeared. Having had a hand in "maintaining" her, if we'd of abused another ship the way we abused the Cill Airne with chipping hammers, the mate would have had us discharged without a second thought. I sincerely doubt we were the first or last class to treat her like this either.

I got my lifeboat ticket from her and learned the ancient and archaic ways of rowing a ships lifeboat with a mixed nationality crew. We were grateful to hear the enclosed lifeboat was not safe to launch and I had to wait until I was in the Persian Gulf a few months later to "enjoy" that experience. Launching an enclosed lifeboat from a ship with a 24m draft and in ballast is a very unique experience.

While the Cill Airne may have been at the end of her working life for the college, she was in a very different state to the NE and the point still stands that the Irish Ship & Barge Fabrication Co would stand to make a very large sum of money from the restoration of the NE. Private funds are one thing, state funding is a different proposition altogether however.

maryishere wrote: »
    maybe they did not pay any, or it was just a peppercorn rent? Very unusual anyway. I know someone else who wanted to operate a business from a vessel elsewhere once and they were told they would not get planning permission to do so.

No, they paid a good rent and it amounted to a not inconsiderable sum. That can be confirmed by the business owners.

Alongside and in position, make fast fore & aft. Her final voyage...(?)

1920218_711992018821329_1332362575_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057?fref=ts

Looks like she put up a bit of a fight going in :D

1623699_711939375493260_2127351533_n.jpg

Er, is that normal, moving a ship with a digger???

• Advertisement

Imagine, she didn't sink despite the Waterways Ireland scaremongering. Now all that's needed is for some locals to have a fire or two in her and job done. :(

Er, is that normal, moving a ship with a digger???

They had no "tugs" other than a few small boats by the looks of it and obviously she can't get in under her own power. I guess they used what they had to hand to get her the last few metres along.

WI did the prudent thing and moved her before she sank and it became an environmental disaster. Until they board her with a view to stripping her out, she's safer here than alongside the quay wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 oceanfroggie

I guess the unfortunate residents living and working nearby who have had to overlook that eyesore for years are glad to see it moved if even a short distance for the time being.

Anybody any idea on what is happening next? Has there been a short pause for one last final chance to see if funding has been found, or will the wreak be cut up in the next few weeks?

According to the FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/naomheanna/518244141623898/?notif_t=group_activity
    A decision has been made by the minister to go ahead with the scrapping. This is the outcome of a meeting with the minister for heritage, waterways ireland and the HSA. No other parties owner or stakeholders were at the meeting.

If I was living nearby I wouldn't see her as an eyesore more of an interesting ship "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sort of thing ;) I love traveling the waterways looking at old boats and barges that Wi have kindly left for me :D it just seems a bit odd that they leave them for so long before they decide to sell them on or in this case scrap it, maybe if they had let people know a year ago about there intensions things might have turned out for the better.
    I would have offered to restore for free any of the old electrical,mechanical or wood work that I could fit in my shed :) She is not that old as far as historical boats go but the electrics and mechanics are from the age of the dinosaurs in terms of how far we have come since the 50's. Maybe some day when the big solar storm comes and wipes out of the computers :D people will be crying out for this type of ship.

fergal.b wrote: »
    According to the FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/naomheanna/518244141623898/?notif_t=group_activity
    A decision has been made by the minister to go ahead with the scrapping. This is the outcome of a meeting with the minister for heritage, waterways ireland and the HSA. No other parties owner or stakeholders were at the meeting.

Sounds very democratic alright.
    If aesthetics were an issue, sure half of Dublin would want to be flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it will probably be cut up, obvious the minister doesn't care about our heritage as per

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Deenihan and Varadkar are a ****ing disgrace for letting this happen but then they fit in perfectly with all the other clowns in the Dail. Enda should sack them after he's finished with Shatter.

The fight goes on Who is the owner :)http://www.thejournal.ie/naomh-eanna-ship-1326723-Feb2014/

I think the residents have bigger things to worry about, maybe the ship was protecting them from the elements :)
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/residents-raise-concerns-about-dublin-apartments-after-wet-weather-623429.html

I guess the unfortunate residents living and working nearby who have had to overlook that eyesore for years are glad to see it moved if even a short distance for the time being.

Anybody any idea on what is happening next? Has there been a short pause for one last final chance to see if funding has been found, or will the wreak be cut up in the next few weeks?

• Advertisement

Advertisement