Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I changed my sprockets and chains this week.

How long do I have to drive around like a nun? I was told to take it easy for a while. How long is that?

My last chain was an O-ring and somehow it developed a tight spot really quickly and didn't last long. This is a gold X-ring so I'm hoping this will be better.

Yummy, how much for both and where you get them from Wiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I replaced mine in July. Bought them from motorcycleshop.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Not today but I finally (after four and half years:rolleyes:) cut down the fly screen on the 1400. It always looked completely gammy and there was more than an inch of a gap between the lamp and the screen. I would always take it off when the weather improved.

I did lots of marking, measuring and re-drilling and took a template from side to side before cutting it down thinking it would all help. I'm so freakin' pleased with it. It fits like a factory part and there's even less turbulence now. I feel like a nob for waiting so long. I know I'm having a bit of a nerd-gasm but it was just one of those satisfying jobs:D

237746.JPG

Man alive that is alot of BOIKE, great job. Would not be mad on the colour but ones mans meat and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I skimped on the last set and went o-ring. Not doing that again. I bought a X-ring gold DID ring for 124 euro including delivery (god I love parcelmotel).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-97-03-NEW-DID-X-RING-HEAVY-DUTY-GOLD-CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-/200858908279?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

Anyone know what gold means? Is it just for looks? Tbh it doesnt look as good as brushed metal.

• Advertisement

@cantdecide That bike is gorgeous. What model is that?

I have a GS500 that I'll be selling this year after my Dad does his test on it. I'm thinking of a bandit 600/1200. I love that look of bike and there is something about them which makes it fun to ride. I don't know if it's the steering rake angle or the length of the chasis, just seems much more fun around city center than the fazer 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Cayden Defeated Thunderstorm

I forgot to take the disc lock off my bike and torn the bollox out of a carbon fiber mudguard.. There, now thats what I did to my bike today :mad:

I forgot to take the disc lock off my bike and torn the bollox out of a carbon fiber mudguard.. There, now thats what I did to my bike today :mad:

OHHHHHH :mad:

What about the disc, that is mad money to replace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I took some CF55 to my chain last night and gave it a bit of a clean and then a lube.

Also tried to clean the front sprocket cover but I think it needs to soak in something to get the gunk off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thats what prevents me from getting one. I know I would be guaranteed to tear off at some point without taking it off.

My plan today is to adjust the chain and give a good clean and lube. Hopefully the neighbour will be back soon as the post man dropped my new stand at the neighbours. Old one is done for.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    I took some CF55 to my chain last night and gave it a bit of a clean and then a lube. Also tried to clean the front sprocket cover but I think it needs to soak in something to get the gunk off

Ordinary de-greaser and persistence, IME.

Balls! Just walk away from it. You'll chill and come up with a plan. It'll be good as new in the end.
    @cantdecide That bike is gorgeous. What model is that?

If you're not familiar at all with them, it's a GSX1400 and it's a K2. All of the later 14s had the pointy modern Suzuki graphics with black wheels but this colour scheme with the white wheels was always the one I had to have. I think KTRIC has one too.

The disc is grand.. Tell you what happened, and it really boils my piss.

A mate parks his bike right up along side mine every time, every f*cking time, and I can't straighten mine up to take it off the side stand, so I've to pull/wheel it backwards away from his bike.

It pisses me right off every time, more so that I've said it to him a number of times.

Well last night in temper I had to pull my bike out AGAIN! and forgot about the disc lock.

His a f*cking clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

ah thats a sickener makikomi:( think of it this way though you now have an excuse to buy something nice to replace it!

i refitted the front wheel after having a new front tyre fitted

The disc is grand.. Tell you what happened, and it really boils my piss.

A mate parks his bike right up along side mine every time, every f*cking time, and I can't straighten mine up to take it off the side stand, so I've to pull/wheel it backwards away from his bike.

It pisses me right off every time, more so that I've said it to him a number of times.

Well last night in temper I had to pull my bike out AGAIN! and forgot about the disc lock.

His a f*cking clown.

FFS, surely as a biker he knows what you mean and after asking him he could not just leave you a bit more room ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Went to top up the brake fluid but all 4 screws are rusted and rounded, first time since I got the bike I have had to do it. Have to get some stainless screws and remove the existing ones somehow

And drove to Connemara in the pouring rain and about to head back to town now

Join Ireland Weather Network

today I:

cleaned the front sprocket cover. I don't think I'll ever get the **** off my hands, even with gloves on!

took the grabbar/rear fairing off - 4 bolts + 2 bolts/2 screws and off they come. Uncle does panel work so gonna get him to respray parts of the bike for me. Needed to know how easy stuff is to take on/off.

put my bellypan back on

fixed up with clutch lever a bit - it was sagging at a bit at the bars so stuck a washer under it to shove it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Today I :

Broke my bike :(. Well the chain at least. It's just snapped as I was pulling into my mates estate, thank jaysus it happened here tho and not on a dual carriageway !

Today I:

Cleaned the front sprocket cover after driving a week on my new chain. There was a ton of grinding paste right in there. From now on I'll be moving away from using sticky chain lube because this is the second time in 4 months it's collected this much.

Gave my chain it's first adjustment. It took a half of a turn. I'm hoping not to have to adjust it again for a few hundred miles.

My loobman chain oiler got cleaned and I removed the 10w40 from it. In this cold I found it was moving very slowly and it would gunk up around the plastic part which meets the sprocket. So I filled it with ATF fluid.

I cleaned my rear tyre. It had oil around the outside. I think this was just from working on the bike.

This all took a few hours. Got rained on but kept at it in the freezing cold.

Today I:

Cleaned the front sprocket cover after driving a week on my new chain. There was a ton of grinding paste right in there. From now on I'll be moving away from using sticky chain lube because this is the second time in 4 months it's collected this much.

Gave my chain it's first adjustment. It took a half of a turn. I'm hoping not to have to adjust it again for a few hundred miles.

My loobman chain oiler got cleaned and I removed the 10w40 from it. In this cold I found it was moving very slowly and it would gunk up around the plastic part which meets the sprocket. So I filled it with ATF fluid.

I cleaned my rear tyre. It had oil around the outside. I think this was just from working on the bike.

This all took a few hours. Got rained on but kept at it in the freezing cold.

Be careful wiz, I remember when I got my scottoiler 1st there was oil on the back wheel. Turned out I had the flow on too high and it was flicking onto the back tyre! Not a good idea :p

So just make sure it is from working on the boike and not from the auto luber!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Hopefully arranged a sale for the 950 next Saturday so if that works out I should be coming home from the UK with an SMR on 23rd February :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

batman_oh wrote: »
    Hopefully arranged a sale for the 950 next Saturday so if that works out I should be coming home from the UK with an SMR on 23rd February :D

Seen yours up for sale. Gorgeous bike. Best of look with the new yoke. Make sure to put up some pictures.

leppla wrote: »
    Seen yours up for sale. Gorgeous bike. Best of look with the new yoke. Make sure to put up some pictures.

Cheers - the 950 has been great over the past two years. Just want that SMR too much though - the white and orange (and the fancy brakes, wheels and full akra!) sold it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Today i cocked up. In style.

Over the weekend i took a shortcut and shortened a piece of fuel hose to get rid of a frayed section. I was rushing and should have replaced the hose....

Left it a little too short and it pulled off the pump enough that it wiggled loose on the way to work. Must have pulled it fitting the tank as it should have been longer and more secure....

Lucky me it was lashing rain and i didnt end up in a ball of flames, utterly stupid on my part.....

Thats what prevents me from getting one. I know I would be guaranteed to tear off at some point without taking it off.

My plan today is to adjust the chain and give a good clean and lube. Hopefully the neighbour will be back soon as the post man dropped my new stand at the neighbours. Old one is done for.

I'm pretty sure the neighbour gas stolen the stand. Lol.
    Postman dropped it 20 houses away from my house. Never seen them out of the house before. I called around the past 4 nights, she finally answered, drunk at 5 pm on a tuesday. Hallway covered in old papers and empty bottles. Denied getting the package.

I can see this being a load of effort.

Today I tested my ABS on Bolton St ~ They work and I'm here to tell the tell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I'm pretty sure the neighbour gas stolen the stand. Lol.
    Postman dropped it 20 houses away from my house. Never seen them out of the house before. I called around the past 4 nights, she finally answered, drunk at 5 pm on a tuesday. Hallway covered in old papers and empty bottles. Denied getting the package.

I can see this being a load of effort.

Not your problem and not your problem to follow up with the 'delivery' company either. It's the seller's responsibility. If they don't cooperate then do a chargeback.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

The other day I sent the 950 out to get a new chain and sprockets in NDM. today I received a pic of what should be my new bike once everything works out with the sale! Roll on February 23rd :D

990SMR2_zpsb0faa02d.jpg

tonight I:

Fit my givi rack back on the bike to bring a cake into work tomorrow.

Grr, easier to take off the damn yoke!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Not your problem and not your problem to follow up with the 'delivery' company either. It's the seller's responsibility. If they don't cooperate then do a chargeback.

Turns out the courier just wrote the wrong address on the note.
    The other neighbour dropped over the package. \o/

Advertisement