Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The fate of Irish Lightships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DavidGD

On the historical research front, there is a distinct lack of activity. I have three irons in the fire but have not even received an acknowledgement, let alone any information. However one kind person, slightly 'off station', sent me explanations of those weird departments I mentioned last time.

On board things progress but slowly. Simon has finally found some spare time to finish the floor tiling in the new kitchen ....(Photo)
    So that is looking pretty damn good.

If I can go 'off station' just for a moment - I have been asked to include a photo or two of my personal restoration project. I today finished fitting new brake linings and new wheel bearings. What a job! Royce never did anything by halves. (Photos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Super looking motor and the ship isn't coming on badly either! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Super looking motor and the ship isn't coming on badly either! :D

You can have the ship, I'll go for the car;). Beautiful. Phantom II with a non-standard body?

Phantom I. It is 1928 and in those days there was no such thing as a standard body. R-R supplied only the chassis and owners told their favourite coachbuilder what they wanted. Having said that, this car started life with a formal cabriolet body. In the 1940/50 time frame it was converted to a hearse (many early cars suffered this fate). In 1963/4 an enterprising bodyshop took off most of the hearse body and built the current touring body. It then went to the USA for about 20 years and came back to the UK in 2001. I bought it early in 2002 and started the restoration to what you see now.
    D

As my historical research is in the doldrums, I keep busy with yet another restoration process (look out, thread wander coming!). My little Austin 7 won a prize at a local car show over the weekend – for the best personal restoration! (Photo). I prefer to drive my cars rather than park and exhibit, but a friend was organising it and I wanted to support him. It was an Morris Minor affair, but I was happy to add a little tone! Sorry, I have to include before and after pics (Photos).
    Meanwhile, back to the thread. Simon is putting the finishing touches to the spiral staircase, trimming the hole in the deck and installing the first of the safety railings (Photo). He has also finished the floor tiling and has been able to install the kick panels under the units. Looking smarter each time!
    David

• Advertisement

This snippet is not about Simon’s ship, but I thought you readers would be interested (and saddened?) to learn of the fate of such vessels when they are neglected. Down in S Wales on the River Neath (or should I say in the River Neath?) LV32 is a sad sight, with high tides washing over her decks, below decks full of silt and rust eating away at her. (Photo).

Nearer to home, a lovely old vessel – the good ship Ena – on the same causeway as Simon’s ship, has for a long time been struggling to stay afloat, with bilge pumps going almost full time. Now the battle is lost as the pumps are no longer coping/working and there seems to be nobody interested enough to do anything.(Photo)

Presumably the owner is paying the mooring fees, a cheaper alternative perhaps than doing something about it, but not a good advertisement for a Marina!
    David

We have just returned from a long weekend with Simon on …… we had better settle on the name of this vessel. Originally Cormorant; then Lady Dixon; later Lady December; and now registered with National Historic Ships UK (and the Post Office) as The Lightship. The family name of The Beast becomes less appropriate as Simon’s work starts to bear fruit.
    He certainly looks the part these days, with a ‘full set’ and nautical cap. (Photo) Behind him is the almost finished kitchen, which is looking really good. (Photo)
    He now has a kitchen table, right foreground and between it and the spiral staircase are two log-burners and the 70s kitchen stove, all to be installed in the next few weeks – the stove roughly where it is near the table, a modern log-burner (Photo) in the sitting room to replace the decrepit one he inherited and the ‘barrel’ below deck to start drying out that area ready for the huge amount of work which is going to be necessary.
    Also in that ‘temporary’ storage area is a desk for the study and a sideboard for the dining room. I say temporary because both locations are below deck and the huge amount of work needed down there will take months! Buying such items next year would have been sensible, but he cannot resist a bargain! All this is of course a natural dumping ground for tools and miscellaneous items which have no home at the moment!
    The spiral staircase is now trimmed and looking very smart. It just needs one piece of balustrade on the right behind the cactus when the desk etc departs below. (Photo)
    Meanwhile nature is trying its best to introduce a little colour on the stern. (Photo)

I stumbled (literally) over an unidentified feature on the ship last weekend. Basically it is a hole in the deck just aft of the forward companionway. Simon has always had it covered with a metal plate, so I had not noticed it before. Removing the plate revealed a properly constructed circular hole (Photo), which would have been level with the teak deck when there was a teak deck. It is not sturdy enough to support a mast, so I guessed at ventilation. Back home I got out the blueprints and had a close look at that area. I found a circle with the label ‘8” DL’. Nearby were two other circles, both labelled ‘5” DL’. (Photo)

These two holes gave me the answer. On page 23 of Anthony Lane’s book Guiding Lights, are two photos of ‘Deadlights’ which were glass blocks set into the main deck to allow light to penetrate the darker spaces below. It even states that the examples shown come from the ex-Irish Light vessel Cormorant.

Sure enough, Simon has two 5” glass blocks which are shaped rather like grapefruit squeezers and fit nicely into two holes near the deckhouse (Photo). Unfortunately there is no trace of the 8” glass. From the plans I saw that the 8” DL illuminated the crew’s mess area and the two 5” DLs illuminated their quarters. There is one other 5” DL on the starboard side, to illuminate the officers’ quarters (no glass unfortunately).

Perhaps illuminate is too strong a word, but then two 5” DLs and the 8” hole certainly provide enough light down there to enable you to move around (Photo).

While studying the blueprints I came across several other labels. Along both sides of the deckhouse there are several ‘T.V.’ items and their shape on the plan is that of fixtures which are still in place (Photo). These, according to the blueprints, are ‘Torpedo Vents’. Why are they double ended?

There are about a dozen circles marked along the deckhouse walls, but only two portholes on the ship (that is one of them below the TV). However, most of them (not these two) are labelled ‘BL’ and this turns out to mean ‘Borrowed Light’. Because I have reached my maximum number of photos allowed per post, I will explain this next time.
    David

To continue the subject of ‘lights’. Looking for more fixed ports or portholes in the deckhouse to correspond with the nine BL circles on the blueprints, I can find only the two obvious ones close together on the starboard side, each with its torpedo vent above it. Not surprisingly these illuminated and vented two toilets (Master and Pilots only!). However, there are a number of portholes/ fixed ports down near deck level in the coaming, each with a protective hinged cover. (Photo) Now I thought this a strange place to have ‘windows’, but the clue is in their label – BL (Borrowed Lights).

Eskimosailor sent me a helpful fact that a window between two internal spaces is often called a borrowed light. In this case however, things are a little more convoluted. My theory is that these low ports let daylight into the deckhouse at a low level – near the deck – and set into the deck under the ports are deadlights, probably of a letterbox shape as Simon still has two of these. One is a double square made by Hayward and is probably older than the rectangular one. (Photos)
    I would think these transmitted more ‘borrowed’ light below deck than the grapefruit squeezer type.(Photo)

The Pilots had six BLs in their quarters; the Engineers had one; and the machinery room had two. The crew’s quarters had the two 5” DLs and the officers had one (Simon tells me he does have the third grapefruit squeezer, but it is badly chipped). The 8” DL must have been a handsome piece of glass and has been ‘souvenired’! By a grapefruit fanatic?? If anyone out there comes across an 8” version of the squeezer, Simon would love to hear about it.

Meanwhile, I have still found no information, let alone photos of Cormorant before she was converted in 1943, apart from where and when she was built and her dimensions………
    David

I started this blog one year ago this week – can it really be that long? What a journey it has been! Simon has put and is still putting an awful lot of work into the deckhouse living space, but soon it will be time to turn his attention below deck. In the living room (or should that be the salon?), he will be finishing off with some special wallpaper. That shouldn’t be too difficult as that is what he does for a living – hanging special wallpaper! Then there are the three stoves that must be installed and hopefully they will be in and working in a week or two.

It is time to get serious about that exposed deck. The teak planks having long rotted away, there is no insulation between the outside and below deck, which not only makes it very cold down there in the winter, but also creates a great deal of condensation. When we had our first thoughts about this last October, we imagined a series of ‘joists’ made out of scaffolding type boards to provide a frame work. I even included some mock-up photos of this in my post at that time. Getting down to detail now we find that scaffolding planks are too thin – the step is 4 inches, not 1.5 inches – so we are now thinking of 4x4 fence post timber and the build-up will be in five stages and I apologise for my lack of skill in photo–faking:-
    Stage 1. Simon acquired some time ago a number of big tins of bitumen and this will be melted and poured all over the deck (area by area) and the timber framing pieces wedged into position between the deckhouse and the 4 inch step. Hopefully the joists can also be secured to that step by angled screws. I know it looks like water in the photo, but it is supposed to be runny bitumen!

Stage 2. The insulating panels will be placed in between the frame joists.

Stage 3. Plywood boards will be screwed down to the joists to cover the insulating panels and the whole of the 4 inch step up to the large baulk of timber which runs right round the ship. All this so far we can tackle ourselves.

Stage 4. Call in the local flat roofers and lay a carpet of roofing felt over everything, with a small rise up the side of the deckhouse and again up the edging baulk. This will make the whole thing watertight – apart from drainage holes which are already present in the 4 inch step at the lowest part of the deck.

Stage 5. Simon has found some thick rubberised tiles which interlock and have channels cut into their underside. These will protect the roofing felt from wear and damage, while allowing any water to run underneath them and out of the drainage holes.

That’s the theory anyway!
    David

• Advertisement

Simon is taking a well-earned break in Greece – or was it Turkey? Anyway, he will be back at the end of this week and we can give some serious thought to getting on with things. If Simon can take a break from work for a week, I can certainly get down there to help, but I must find a way to avoid the M25 ‼ Our Indian summer is all very well, but it cannot last much longer. Those stoves must be installed (professionally, it is not a DIY job) and the deck insulated. The new multi-fuel stove is of course going in the living room to replace the much-repaired wreck that was there, and the Italian looking cooker has now been allocated its place in the kitchen – not for cooking, just heating. (Photo)
    Below deck the Godin stove will sit on a bespoke coal bunker (Photo), tucked into a corner at the bottom of the spiral stairs (Photo). The corner will look much better in due course! But then that applies to the whole of the below deck area. The living room stove and the Godin will eventually be connected up to radiators, as they both have back-boilers. The kitchen cooker may well also have a water heating capability.

I meant to mention after our last trip down there, a piece of history which is going to be recycled. In the centre of the deckhouse, over the main stairway, was a 'skylight’ with four glazed ports. It has now been replaced by a modern double-glazed unit with integral venetian blind, but the ports will be built into some of the internal doors. Meanwhile, the old unit lies on the roof next to its replacement, waiting dismantling (Photo).
    David

Holidays over, it is time to get serious about the deck. I did some experiments (on the garage floor) with plywood and 4x4 timbers. To avoid excess movement/bounce/sag, the plywood covering has to be of reasonable thickness and well supported. Less of one means more of the other and somewhere in the equation will be the minimum cost point! But let’s be practical.
    Our first plan was to use short lengths of scaffolding plank jammed between the deckhouse and the first part of the gunwale at intervals of 4ft (Photo). That is supposed to represent bitumen between the planks, not water! The insulation would fit between the planks and the whole lot covered with plywood from deckhouse to the main part of the gunwale. The plywood would be supported by and fixed to the planks and to the gunwale.
    However, my experiments showed that on the deckhouse side, supported every 4ft, there would be definite sag unless the plywood was quite substantial (expensive). This would crush the insulation boards beneath and allow bounce. The other problem with the plank idea was that they would have to be doubled up to provide the 4 inch height needed to match the gunwale step. It would also degrade the insulation every 4ft for 9 inches, albeit slightly. (Photo)
    The second thought was to run a 4x4 along the side of the deckhouse and use that to support the plywood throughout its run along the sides (Photo). The unsupported distance would be across the width and be only about 20 inches. There would be little or no sag and no break in the insulation.
    The other practical point concerns the problem of rain interrupting the process. The ship (deck) is slightly banana-shaped so that water gathers amidships and drains through the holes you can see in the photos. If we have the side decks raised with timber and insulation and it rains, there will be large puddles at the bow and stern, which will have to be drained somehow before we can begin in those areas. So we will do them first. The stern is fairly straightforward and a simple grid of 4x4 will be fashioned to support the plywood. The bow is more complicated due to the companionway and the hawspipes (nostrils). Necessity is the mother of invention! (Photo)
    The numbers indicate how many 2.1m x 1.2m insulation panels are going to be needed (roughly!). There will be off-cuts aplenty to fill in the awkward bits.
    David.

After some sensible advice from Steve, I am recommending to Simon that, for the stern area, we go for a 4x4 grid which provides support for all sides and ends of the plywood sheets. If there is movement / bounce / sag it risks damaging the waterproof roofing felt which will go on top of it all. For the sake of some extra 4x4 timber, we can avoid this.

So first we coat the deck in bitumen. Then we build the grid (4x4 in red), making sure that the plywood panels will fit fore/aft snugly against the salon wall and then half-way across the first lateral joist and laterally half way across the middle fore/aft joist and so on. Lap joints where joists cross and half-laps when we need to extend a length. Both glued and screwed. Are you following this? We will get all the lengths and the joints cut beforehand and have the deck and step marked out. The plywood panels and the insulation panels will also be cut to shape before the actual building starts, including all the odd-shaped bits.

With everything prepared and ready, we can choose a dry day which hopefully will fit in with the roofers so that the whole job can be finished and the stern deck watertight before any rain arrives. It would be nice to lay the grid onto the bitumen while it is still tacky, but that might be very messy! (Photo)

When the insulation panels go in, we have a can of insulating foam on hand to seal any small gaps.(Photo)

Next come the whole and nearly whole boards of plywood, which will be screwed down on all edges either to the 4x4, or to the gunwale step (dark grey). And we finish with the small bits at the stern and at the sides. Gutter sealant or something similar will be applied between the boards and also between the boards and the gunwale and the salon.(Photo)

The finished, well half finished product will look something like this (Photoshop can only do so much!) ..... (Photo). Send for the roofers.

Then comes the bow area, following the same sort of procedure. Once the bow and stern are decked and watertight, any rain will run off down the ‘sidewalks’ and out of the drain holes. (I am sure there are proper nautical terms for both of those). Finally we do the sidewalks and “t’ job’s a good un” as they say.
    That’s the plan anyway. Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.
    David

I am back on the historical trail again, thanks initially to Harry Gibbons, who suggested that I contacted John Gore-Grimes, a Board member of the Commissioners of Irish Lights for many years. I am indebted now to John, who has come up with a copy of the original “Specification for Building a Light Vessel on the Composite or Combination Principle” dated April 1880 ‼ It is signed by one Joshua Cole, Com. R.N. Inspector of Irish Lights and Alex F Boxer, Assistant Inspector. It is 15 pages of detail about the construction of such vessels, plus two extra pages of details about the steel mast signed by W Douglass (sic). As Cormorant was built between 1876 and 1878, I am fairly confident that she was built to these specifications. Unfortunately although the text refers many times to drawings, none seem to have survived.
    Until I find a dictionary of maritime terms, much of what is stated is double Dutch to me, but many of my naval-type followers will have little trouble with paragraphs like this one :-

SCANTLINGS
    Keel
    To be of best East India teak, amidship, sided 12 inches, moulded 13 ½ inches, to be in three lengths, the foremost length and after length to be of Irish elm, connected together with scarphs, the scarphs to be 5 feet long and to be vertical, each to have a tabling 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep, to be laid together with flannel and a heavy coat of white lead, and fastened with six through copper bolts 1 inch diameter, driven and clenched on copper rings.

At first sight I would have guessed the author to be the late Kenneth Williams!

To be serious, the mast pages have settled one question that was puzzling me. Several sources of information on the Cormorant have stated that she had a steel mast and fixed lantern, while others spoke of a lantern weighing over two tons which was ‘wrapped’ around the mast and hoisted about 30ft above the deck. This document talks about three wrought iron girders 36ft 5 inches in length, which should be attached “…perfectly true and parallel to the centre of the mast, ..…one of them, to be used as a guide for the lantern, is to be planed on all sides; the other two, which are to be used as a roller-path only, need not be planed.” To me this means the lantern was hoisted, not fixed.

Talking of masts, I had assumed that the Cormorant had only the two masts visible in the 1956 photographs on station in Belfast Lough – the main, stubby mast carrying the fixed lantern and the mizzen which was removed during its early days in Hoo. In my search for similar vessels pre-1943, I have discarded any with more than two masts. However, on Page 13 there are two wooden masts detailed – a foremast and a mizen (sic). They are both pitch pine, the foremast 54ft long and the mizen 50ft long. So I shall have to do my searches again and find vessels with three masts!

So, with the aid of a glossary I have found on the Internet, I shall begin translating the document into landlubberese. Watch this space.
    David

Well, with the aid of the Oxford English Dictionary, a Glossary of Nautical Terms and, would you believe it, a medical dictionary, I have converted the 1880 document into landlubberese. I had hoped that there would be naval architects or something similar amongst my readers, but if there are, they kept a low profile! Not so one of my more nostalgic readers, who ignored the maritime history and went down the Kenneth Williams side-track, reminding me that the radio program was called ‘Round the Horn’ and featured such unlikely characters as J. Peasemould Gruntfuttock and Daphne Whitethigh. However he missed the important one - Rambling Sid Rumpo – who actually used the ‘clench’ in one of his ditties …
    “When I was a clencher’s bogle man in famous Lincoln town,
    I often clenched my bogling fork for less than half a crown.”
    But thanks anyway Colin.

Back to business. Referring to the paragraph I quoted last time, ‘Scantlings’ I discovered did not refer to particular pieces of a ship - in a boat plan it was the list of all the necessary construction materials, dimensions, hardware and fittings complete with specifications, quantities and sizes. No wonder this document is 19 pages long! ‘Clenched’ means nailed and a ‘Scarf’ is an overlapping joint. I will not explain the whole document, but the medical dictionary solved ‘Intercostal’. ‘Inter’ of course means ‘in between’ and ‘costal’ refers to ‘ribs’, which of course makes sense in a ship with a framework. Perhaps the bashful nautical gurus could just assure me that I have got the right labels on the photo…..

Meanwhile I have set Simon the task of finding where the foremast was located. I suspect he is looking for a patch over the hole (which would be about 14 inches in diameter) put there during the 1943 re-modelling.

My search for a similar vessel has turned up one possible candidate. The Puffin was built in 1886/7 for the Commissioners of Irish Lights, but not by the same shipyard as Cormorant. I would be surprised if CIL, having gone to the trouble of producing a comprehensive specification in 1880, did not use it for Puffin in 1886/7. Comparing the details of Puffin in the Board of Trade wreck report (Puffin sank in a hurricane in October 1896 off Daunt’s Rock) with the 1880 specification, there are numerous exact matches and a few very close matches, especially in the construction of the three masts. I would therefore classify them as sister ships.

Unfortunately I can find only one poor picture of Puffin, but that is better than no pictures at all for Cormorant. At least I now know what I am looking for! Can anyone out there help?
    David

Board of Trade report of the Daunt (Puffin) disaster here: http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/17086.asp?view=text

and a Commissioners of Irish Lights "Beam" magazine article here: http://www.commissionersofirishlights.com/cil/publications/beam-magazines/volume-25/puffin-lightvessel.aspx

I have some poor Puffin pics - after salvage - which I'll post once I locate.

Here's one pic but it won't be of much help. "Puffin" after salvage operation and beached at Rushbrooke.

HDSiii.jpg

Many thanks for that. Unfortunately CIL has revamped its website and Beam magazine no longer features. I have asked them if volume 25 is still available. By the way their website is now www.cil.ie
    David

DavidGD wrote: »
    Many thanks for that. Unfortunately CIL has revamped its website and Beam magazine no longer features. I have asked them if volume 25 is still available. By the way their website is now www.cil.ie
    David

Sorry about that - I didn't check the link before posting it from my archive. Anyway, I've now uploaded the full article here:

http://insatiablecollector.wordpress.com/miscellaneous/

When I realised that Puffin could be called the sister ship of Cormorant, I studied the Board of Trade wreck report for Puffin even more closely. One item that I had missed was the statement “ ….facsimile masts had been used in the Cormorant ….(no wonder the two sets of measurements were so similar) and the Torch (I don’t remember coming across this name in my research on lightships). So now we have three sister ships – Cormorant, Puffin and Torch. However, the name Torch puzzled me as all these Irish light vessels were usually named after seabirds, which showed a bit more imagination than the Trinity House plain numbering system! Never having heard of a Torch bird, I asked the Internet. Guess what – nobody else had heard of one either, so I trawled for Irish lightships (as I have done many times before) and found Torch – built by Milford Haven Co., in 1881 and with overall dimensions and construction the same as Cormorant, albeit costing £600 more. She was withdrawn from service in 1945, sold and scrapped.
    Having three trails to follow in my search for likenesses of pre-1943 Cormorant does not make me feel more hopeful. But many lines catch more fish – or at least they should. In my search for Torch, I came across the genealogy of the Douglass family and W Douglass supervised the building of the Torch and the Puffin. You may remember that the 1880 Specification for a Lightship had W Douglass signing off the lantern mast details. It is the same man.
    William Douglass was born in London in 1831. Apprenticed to Robert Stephenson & Co, Newcastle-on-Tyne, he studied under Robert, the son of George Stephenson. In 1852 he replaced his brother James as Assistant Engineer to his father on the construction of Bishop Rock Lighthouse.
    On completion of the Little Basses Reef Lighthouse in 1878 William was appointed Engineer to the Commissioners of Irish Lights, succeeding John H. Morant. Thus, the Douglass brothers achieved the unique distinction of serving simultaneously as Engineer-in-Chief to two lighthouse authorities. Both made their distinctive contribution to their respective organisation. James introduced electricity as a lighthouse illuminant while William perfected the efficiency of oil and gas as illuminants.
    Over the next 22 years William's engineering design and administration output in the service of Irish Lights was equally as dynamic as the 26 years he spent in the construction of lighthouses for Trinity House. His tenure as the Commissioners' Engineer ended a relatively dormant engineering period in Irish Lights.
    Many major works were carried out under the direction of William Douglass and from my point of view the following are pertinent:-
    Built the beacon on Muglins Rock.
    New lightship Torch built.
    Calf Rock station demolished by a storm-erected a temporary light on Dursey Head.
    1886-87
    New lightship Puffin built.

So another line of enquiry opens up. I wonder if his descendants have any records of the great man’s achievements.
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I've read much of the above but not all, so it's possible I've missed some of your leads. Have you been in touch with CIL directly by now? Hopefully/presumably they have some form of archives/archivist who could have relevant source material. Ditto for the Maritime Museum in Dun Laoghaire - it's by no means certain that they have records, but if anyone other than CIL did then it would likely be them.

z

Thank you Z. Yes I am in direct contact with both CIL and Dun Laoghaire. CIL did produce the 1880 Specification for Lightships, but have no diagrams to go with it. The Maritime Museum library is in chaos at the moment (new shelving and paintwork), so I will have to be patient there, but the Director of Library and Archives promises to be helpful when he can. Somewhere there will be a photograph or painting of one of the sisters .........

The 1880 specification document is proving to be a rich source of information and revelation! I was certainly not aware that these old lightships had sails. I knew that they did not have engines for propulsion and had to be towed everywhere, but sails?
    Well now all you mariners, here is your challenge – or as they used to say in that TV program, “Your mission, should you accept it, is to produce a sketch of the sail arrangement from the description given in the document”. The document describes all three masts, but details of sails etc refer only to the mizzen or, as they spell it, mizen.
    The dimensions of the mast are as follows:
    Heel to deck …….10ft
    Deck to hounds….31ft
    Hounds to truck….13ft
    Extreme length ….54ft

The mizen mast to be fitted with an iron hoop on masthead, with outrigger to take jackstay of mizen; one 12ft boomkin for mizen, fitted with one four-eyed hoop on outer end, also fitted with an iron sheave; one 17ft ensign-staff. One 24ft lug yard, fitted with all necessary iron work.
    Sails of best quality No2 coker-canvas:- 1 main lug; 1 fore and 2 main stay-sails; 2 jib-head mizens.

I have discovered that an outrigger is a boom or spar; a jack-stay is something the sail is fastened to; a boomkin is a short spar (why not a boomette?); a sheave is a wheel or roller; and a lug yard is a spar hung obliquely on a mast. But I am sure you know all that!

The final question is what’s it all for? I cannot imagine this small amount of sail would propel a 150 ton ship anywhere. Unfortunately I have only that one photo of such a ship (Puffin) and it is of very poor quality and probably no use to you at all.
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Perhaps it was for some sort of staysail, that would help the boat ride comfortably during bad weather.

Thanks for that. Yes it would make sense to have the wind 'leaning' on the ship while the sea tried to rock it - but that's a landlubber's guess.
    Incidentally, I am now on the trail of a photo collection which is housed in the National Library of Ireland. Are there any of my readers in Dublin with a couple of hours to spare who could do a bit of research there for me?

The general concensus seems to be that the function of the sail/sails is to steady the ship in a rough sea and perhaps to keep her heading into wind. However, there is some discussion as to the configuration. I had a go at interpreting the 1880 specification and produced a diagram (Photo). However Patroclus (I am sure that is not his real name), a much better informed chap than I on nautical matters, has offered the following comments:

1. The lug yard belongs to the mainmast, not the mizzen (the head of the main lug sail is bent to it) - and the reference to “main lug” is a real problem. If the mainmast carried the light and paraphernalia as shown in the painting of the Daunt’s Rock lightvessel with the RNLI lifeboat alongside, how did they rig a lugsail on it? Perhaps we should be looking at a different type of three-masted lightvessel?
    2. The ensign staff would be mounted at the stern in the normal place.
    3. The mizzen boom would probably be hooped to the mizzen mast say 8 feet above the deck.

There is little doubt that the mainmast was too cluttered to have sails anywhere near it. Using a photograph of Cormorant as she is now (it’s a bit fragmented as I had to take several shots along the length), and knowing exactly where the main mast and the mizzen emerged from the superstructure, I have ‘resurrected’ these two masts. The hawsers (shrouds?) which supported the main mast had substantial anchoring points on both sides of the ship and these are still there, so I was able to approximate the run of these hawsers (Photo). I have left out any fore and aft supports and all those for the mizzen, but I have shown what I believe to be the boomkin with its sheave (for hoisting things on board?) and what I thought was the lugyard. There is no mention of a hoop on the mizzen.

Translating this to the grotty photo I have of Cormorant’s sister ship, Puffin, does I think give a good impression of what these vessels looked like (Photo), but I acknowledge that Patroclus is correct to worry about the reference to ‘main lug’.

I can add to that disquiet as the 1880 spec also refers to one fore and two main stay sails (one spare I assume) and two jib-headed mizzens (again I assume one spare). Where were these placed?

One more clue (or red herring?) is in the structure of the mizzen base unit (Photo). There is a substantial ‘boom-hinge’ mounted fore and aft on that unit. Is one for the boomkin and one for the lugyard? Please ignore the hanging nameplate. I made it to reflect my first impressions of the ship and Simon displays it. I wonder what those three rings were for.

Finally, although Patroclus thinks the ensign would be mounted at the stern, if that mizzen sail boom/lugyard is in the correct place, at 24ft it would extend about 6ft over the stern and preclude any ensign staff there. Perhaps the picture of LV72 at Juno beach in WWII shows where an ensign could be (Photo). Her mizzen is further back, but the ensign is definitely up top there. It is not possible to see whether it is attached to the mizzen or to a staff.
    David
    PS: Petroclus/Patroclus was a friend of Achilles, of uncertain parentage, killed a friend over a dice game and died when he disobeyed a direct order from Achilles.

Having had a sneak preview of a lightship dated 1907/8 (which I cannot share yet), I can, with the aid of a skilfully traced diagram reveal the set-up (Photo). This shows the mizzen/lug/aft/whatever sail furled and there is no boom visible for the foot of the sail. So if all that had to be done is to unfurl the sail and hoist the head with the block and tackle that is visible there, then perhaps this sail looked something like this (Photo). As the sail is not for propulsion, I assume that normal rules of mounting it do not apply.
    Over to you experts.
    David

In response to me plea for a helper in Dublin, David Ryan has volunteered to trawl through the collection in the National Library which was deposited there by the Commissioners of Irish Lights. Already he has found a photo of Cormorant and one of Torch dated 1908, when CIL sent a team around photographing all their lightships and lighthouses. There are a lot more albums to search through, but as each copy costs 30 euros, I am going to have to be selective if David finds any more.
    Anyway, back to the exciting finds. Cormorant and Torch (and the ill-fated Puffin) were all built with a slender main mast carrying the ‘hoistable’ lantern, with a fore and a mizzen mast as well. This is what I have been asking David to look for. Well shiver me timbers and bamboozle me barnacles, look what he found (Photos).
    Torch on station at the Three Barrels Rock and Cormorant on station at the Kish Bank – both with fixed lanterns and no foremast! “Quelle surprise!” Although these photos pose questions, they do also answer a few. Referring to recent posts about sails, Torch has a furled sail on the mizzen, which looks as though it is loose-footed (no boom at the bottom). The high-res photo shows that Cormorant has the same. Both ships are flying an ensign, but the one on Torch is fixed to the stay and wrapped around it! Cormorant has a normal staff on the stern. The back end (tack or clew?) of the sails are fixed to what would have been a bowsprit at the other end, but must be the boomkin mentioned in the 1880 spec. Torch has a fog-horn, but Cormorant has a bell. But enough of the detail for now – shall we just speculate why these 1908 photos are different from what we expected?
    When the Puffin was lost with all hands in 1896, the enquiry decided that her mast (‘hoistable’) had been wrenched off, taking a large section of deck with it, precipitating the catastrophe. A two-ton lantern 30ft above the deck would not have helped matters. So perhaps it was decided that the design was unsafe and all the lightships of the ‘hoistable’ design were converted to fixed lanterns. There may of course have been other changes made at the time, so the details mentioned above may have changed from the 1880 spec.
    This would undoubtedly have been a Board decision at both CIL and Trinity House. I intend to search for Board minutes of this period, but I am not hopeful any still exist. CIL have already told me that they do not have any, but perhaps they passed them on to the National Library with all those photo albums and they are another thing David can look for. I will ask Trinity House also.
    David

In an idle moment (I do have them), I have tried to rig the Puffin (rotten photo) with all the sails listed in the 1880 spec. I wonder though whether they would all be up at the same time. It all seems a bit excessive just to hold the ship steady, or to keep her into the wind. If they were all up, the ship would be under way surely. Emergencies only - if the anchor chain breaks?
    David

• Advertisement

Looking closely at that lovely old oil painting I bought (Post 80) ....."Is that a lugyard I see before me?" (to misquote Macbeth)
    David

Advertisement