Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea Shepherd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭durano

All that matters is whether or not the whales are in danger of extinction or if their levels are getting so low that they will start to impact the workings of the oceans,if so then I couldn't care less whether or not Paul Watson is a certified captain or if he puts a few lives at risk,people die every day all over the world for far lesser reasons and we don't bat an eyelid.
    The oceans are pretty important for the survival of everything so a few human lives here and there are well worth it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

durano wrote: »
    All that matters is whether or not the whales are in danger of extinction or if their levels are getting so low that they will start to impact the workings of the oceans,if so then I couldn't care less whether or not Paul Watson is a certified captain or if he puts a few lives at risk,people die every day all over the world for far lesser reasons and we don't bat an eyelid.
    The oceans are pretty important for the survival of everything so a few human lives here and there are well worth it imo.

And yet if Paul Watson gets himself killed through his own ignorance or negligence would you be up in arms about how he was callously murdered by the evil whalers???

Comments like yours are the type of comments that make more rationally thinking people like me roll our eyes and think "What an idiot"

gatecrash wrote: »
    And yet if Paul Watson gets himself killed through his own ignorance or negligence would you be up in arms about how he was callously murdered by the evil whalers???

Comments like yours are the type of comments that make more rationally thinking people like me roll our eyes and think "What an idiot"
    Umm,no?I'd be like,Paul Watson just got himself killed through his own ignorance and negligence whilst protecting whales.

Just out of curiosity who told you you were a rationally thinking person?Did you just decide that yourself?

Umm,no?I'd be like,Paul Watson just got himself killed through his own ignorance and negligence whilst protecting whales.

Just out of curiosity who told you you were a rationally thinking person?

Frank and Tom.

And Jimmy too.

Think Jane said it as well.

gatecrash wrote: »
    Frank and Tom.

And Jimmy too.

Think Jane said it as well.
    Ahhh how cute!

• Advertisement

Ahhh how cute!

Yeah, I thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Just out of curiosity who told you you were a rationally thinking person?Did you just decide that yourself?

Personal insults always appear when the argument is lost.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Personal insults always appear when the argument is lost.

Oh. I didn't realise he was insulting me. Poor effort! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

from what I see here, most of the responses just dont care about the Japanese and the poor marine life they destroy? so why are you even here posting whatever crap comes out of your head?
    As a fellow Sea Shepard volunteer, it is my choice to stand up for those marine creatures that cant stand up for themselves, and if some people dont agree with me i dont give a rats ass. its our choice if we want to stand up for what we believe in. if more people did the same, the world would be much better off!
    Why do human always judge the life of a criminal over a defensless animal as justifyable? the human race is blinded by greed and the brave souls of the Sea Shepard are trying to show them the light! Im a 110% behind them and anyone that disagrees purely for the sake of not caring should just go jump off a cliff or get a life!!

I guess you are talking from an experienced seamans point of view,when you are coming with this:eek:
    And what scientific evidence have you got to support this???
    And why are you supporting eco terrorists??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I remember watching one episode where the cook got promoted to helipad operator/controller. I have no idea if he had the skills or not but it was just indicative of the kind of ad-hoc structure they had on the ship.

There have been many times I've groaned and changed the channel because of the utter incompetence shown. For instance the time they lowered a RIB into the water at full speed from a single line with no guide rope. As I predicted (having no experience in the matter) the RIB overturned spilling the crew into the Antarctic water. I know Paul Watson has no qualification but still has years of experience, but you wouldn't think it watching the show.

I don't mean to be offensive to anyone involved, but it seems like a group of people with no experience around boats (or common sense) just upped and bought a ship and went off to fight the Japanese. I'm very surprised that nobody has been seriously hurt yet.

In fairness they seem a little more professional on the Faroes series but NOTHING HAPPENS.

Nobody died like the title suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

From what I have seen on TV it seems as though its more luck than anything else that has allowed them to get this far without incurring a fatality.
    When I saw the two crewmen being ordered to go down into a forward locker to see what the hull was doing in Ice, well I just thought this is a ship of fools.
    The Cameraman had the good sense to get out of there.
    It won't be long before some poor unfortunate but earnest volunteer gets killed doing this kind of stuff in unforgiving waters and I am sure it will be dressed up as a kind of martyrdom.
    Many of the operations they carry out are considered dangerous even for highly trained personnel that do this routinely day in day out, like fishery patrols etc.
    Flip a RIB alongside a vessel under way and someone could easily be sucked into the prop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i agree lowering a rib with no guide rope at the bow and not even having two crew holding the rib tight against the hull of the ship was asking for trouble!!! they should also have had a connection for a hose to connect it two the two outboards so as to have them running before even hitting the water if they did all this they would'nt have fell into the drink

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

TheChizler wrote: »
    In fairness they seem a little more professional on the Faroes series but NOTHING HAPPENS.
    Ah that's not true. They suffered greatly when a bunch of pissed up teenagers mooned them on the Faroese equivalent of Paddy's day.

Its not all a bed of roses when you are dealing with SS
    Pete Bethune has found out just what they are like.....
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/7400883/Sea-Shepherd-court-case-brutal-says-Bethune

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

They come across as twats in fairness.

Someone said it earlier, if they had never let a camera crew onboard, more people might support them.

In the maritime industry, lives are lost in accidents all the time, even on the best run ships, under the most stringent regs. It really is just a matter of time.

Darwinism will catch up on them.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    In the maritime industry, lives are lost in accidents all the time, even on the best run ships, under the most stringent regs. It really is just a matter of time.

Darwinism will catch up on them.
    The thing is, it looks to me like the majority of the Crew is young, idealistic and very naive. They are the ones that will be paying the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The thing is, it looks to me like the majority of the Crew is young, idealistic and very naive. They are the ones that will be paying the price.

A phrase came to mind when I read that "cannon fodder".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

They have a new ship.

Digital Journal
    Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) unveiled their new ship the SSS Sam Simon in Hobart, Tasmania yesterday. The story behind how it was acquired appeared to throw down the gauntlet to Japanese whalers.
    It has been no secret that SSCS was acquiring a new ship for their ninth campaign to the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. It was also no secret that the ship was purchased for Sea Shepherd by philanthropist and developer of the animated comedy series The Simpsons -- Sam Simon.
    Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/338809#tab=comments&sc=0#ixzz2Iohf6A6J
    seashep1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I see their dear leader is still at large and living as a fugitive
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/8148531/Fugitive-not-on-ship-during-visit

and their understanding of the colregs hasn't improved.
    http://www.pacificfreepress.com/opinion/5575-japans-pyrate-whalers-ram-second-sea-shepherd-ship.html

But then the last collision was just a publicity stunt as confirmed by the skipper of the boat. A gaff which may cost them $NZ5 million.
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/125424/millionaire-to-sue-anti-whaling-group

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The organisation has huge worldwide support & this is just one of a number of big donations.

The Japanese position is untenable & the Sea Shepherds deserve the credit for publicising & trying to stop whaling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I see their dear leader is still at large and living as a fugitive
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/8148531/Fugitive-not-on-ship-during-visit

and their understanding of the colregs hasn't improved.
    http://www.pacificfreepress.com/opinion/5575-japans-pyrate-whalers-ram-second-sea-shepherd-ship.html

But then the last collision was just a publicity stunt as confirmed by the skipper of the boat. A gaff which may cost them $NZ5 million.
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/125424/millionaire-to-sue-anti-whaling-group
    It is not claimed that the collision was a stunt but the decision not to try to save the vessel was. The collision itself is available to watch on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

They have a new ship.

Digital Journal

seashep1.jpg

Sad end to a nice looking old style survey/research vessel.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Is it not a fitting change now trying to protect cetaceans? The research sign blazoned accross the Nishan maru or whatever one it is is the best laugh. You may not agree with SS tactics but surely their ideals are justified?
    323 wrote: »
    Sad end to a nice looking old style survey/research vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Well some good news in today. All four Sea Shepherd vessels in the Southern Ocean the whaling fleet has been found and on the run, plus not a single whale killed so far this season.

:cool:

andy_g wrote: »
    Well some good news in today. All four Sea Shepherd vessels in the Southern Ocean the whaling fleet has been found and on the run, plus not a single whale killed so far this season.

Good thing Watson is stepping down then;):D
    He cant go any closer than 450 meters of any Japanese whaling vessel;):D:D:D:D

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/08/canada-paul-watson-sea-shepherd-conservation-society-president.html

Good thing Watson is stepping down then;):D
    He cant go any closer than 450 meters of any Japanese whaling vessel;):D:D:D:D

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/08/canada-paul-watson-sea-shepherd-conservation-society-president.html

The really good news is that are plenty of people ready to take his
    place. He has more than done his share. It would seem that, now the Sea Shepherds have more vessels, they will be even more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

andy_g wrote: »

Good News would be end of season and no dead people

Discodog wrote: »
    place. He has more than done his share. It would seem that, now the Sea Shepherds have more vessels, they will be even more successful.[/

It will probably make the 7 seas a much safer place to be,knowing that:rolleyes:

place. He has more than done his share. It would seem that, now the Sea Shepherds have more vessels, they will be even more successful.[/

It will probably make the 7 seas a much safer place to be,knowing that:rolleyes:

It does if you are a Whale

• Advertisement

It does if you are a Whale

Whales don't go to court,people do;)and piracy and sabotage is what criminals do;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement