Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 birdalone

youy have no idea . .and I thought I was ahead of the game . . .letters requesting further documentation sent in error to a house I lived in a year ago.
    Email offering me a place on a course at Sligo IT not ever arriving and with a 2 week deadline a month ago!!!!
    Head is so wrecked.
    Communication breakdown . . .like Hendrix's 'Crosstown Traffic.'
    Thank goodness for Mature Student Office at UCC and (Saint) Mary O'Sullivan.( my guardian angel.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Does anyone know that say, if I send my form in tomorrow and then after the closing date they request more information, will they still see my application as valid even though I may need to give more information after the closing date?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭DenMan

Larianne wrote: »
    Does anyone know that say, if I send my form in tomorrow and then after the closing date they request more information, will they still see my application as valid even though I may need to give more information after the closing date?

I'd like to think so. At least that way they will have your application and can process it, and should they require further info from you they will just ask. If you leave it late and hand everything in together that would be worse. Hope I can help. :)

Thanks DenMan.

This malarky is taking the excitement away from it all somewhat. Boo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Larianne wrote: »
    This malarky is taking the excitement away from it all somewhat. Boo. :rolleyes:

Oh tell me about it. I finally got my forms in yesterday after well over a month of trying to gather all the info.

My advice is: Don't be afraid to ring your local authority with questions, they may not be overly friendly (in fairness there are thousands going for grants) but they will sort you out with what you need to know.

It might sound stupid but throw your eyes over the checklist at the back of the form, I only realised at 2am on Monday morning that I had to have my passport certified! This involved trips to 3 different Garda stations until I found someone on duty.

I thought I was gonna be late with my forms coz of tax (p21), when I phoned my local authority they said they would accept it late but to be prepared for a wait as I would be dealt with after everyone else who had it in on time.

Don't worry, you'll get sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

ya Wisemona i cant figure out the email or blackboard thing. i think the main thing is to activate your campus accout. i'll just get help for the email part i think

this is just too hard . . .so do I drop out before I begin?
    seems so unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

It will all work itself out birdalone! College will be a walk in the park after you get all the forms sorted out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

I'm really happy I took the time to read this forum in its entirety.I'm starting in NUIG on Monday and I'm nervous as hell.Delighted to see theirs plenty of people like myself that are a bit apprehensive about returning to University.Somebody posted earleir in the forum that Arts in NUIG will have plenty of mature students taking part.This is a big relief to me as my main fear was not being able to relate to the younger students doing the course.
    On the grants issue one piece of advice I could give is to bring your form and documentation into the council offices when you think you have everything completed.They'll be then able to tell if you need to get anything extra or if you've missed anything.Much quicker than waiting for replies by post.They won't love you for it but what can you do.

How's everyone getting on in their first week? Well not everyone - I don't start (TCD) proper for another 2 weeks. Oldies orientation for us is next week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

The first week was great as a Back to School Mature Student.
    NUIG put on some really great introduction lectures, teaching us how to 'learn' differently, memory techniques, study skills, stress management, academic writing, career planning, (the list goes on).
    Still have had no word on my grant - waiting patiently, but worried about it, because others have already gotten their letter :confused:

I attended the first saturday of my distance course, higher cert in arts (advocacy studies) in Dublin.
    Feeling quite positive about this one.
    No letter of grant award yet for my BA. at UCC.
    Still waiting for ancient marriage certs from the UK so that I can register in the name I have used for over 25 years.
    Orientation and Registration part 2 tomorrow, already did a Disability Services Orientation last week at UCC.
    I seem to be busy.
    No money to pay the 1150 euro tomorrow so we will see how bad it can get . . .
    Money is so incredibly tight . . .in this I suspect I am not alone.?

Still no word from BTEA. Yes, Birdalone - in the same boat and have two young ones, and dog, and two hens to feed at home. Hubby is great taking on the load of support for the next 4 or 5 years, but it is a challenge scrimping and 'saving' where we can. BUT - it is the right time to be in college (for me anyway) and the kids have a doting Granny living next door to ensure they 'want' for nothing ;) Our fees at NUIG do not have to be paid for (in full) until October 31st - so we have time to hear back from the County Council regarding the grant. Glad the ball is in their court.................that paperwork was hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭scunner

Hi all,new poster in this forum. Going back to college and have every thing organised ie. creche and BTEA. Would i be in entitled to a maintance grant as well? Live with my partner who is employed. Prob a silly question, but if any one can help great!!

You may be entitled - but the cut off date for applying (in Galway) was August 31st, 2009. It is a means tested grant, so if your partner is not raking it in, you could get the grant ;)
    Best of luck - sometimes they do accept late applications - just phone up your local County Council and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Liquidtip

HI,

Going back to college next september but very confused about this whole back to education thingy. Reading up online but still cant grasp what i am eligible for and not. Currently work full time. Is there anything for ppl who work full time and then go back?
    Or how long does one need to be out of work for- before be able to get a grant?

If anybody has any info on this that would be amazing.

Thanks Liquid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

birdalone wrote: »
    hmm. well it's like this . . .
    it is entirely possible to observe people interacting on campus without actually being personally involved in the interaction.
    In fact I would argue that a more accurate observation is possible if there is observation without involvement.
    Of course there is more to life and to a subject of learning than can be gleaned from textbooks.
    I have been in this world and around people for a good number of years now, and I must have learned quite a bit. The most important things I have learned of late have been about my own nature and my needs.
    I have also realised that it is important to have the courage to be myself, even when that means I come across as unusual to some people, and they can react negatively, mainly I think through a lack of understanding.

Shezer, are you familiar with the Autism Spectrum Condition , Asperger's syndrome?
    If so then you may understand a little more about my concerns regarding the chaotic element of campus and my limited need for friendship.
    I do hope that I will discover an intellectual companion or two, it's just I don't do the 'social thing' in the way most people do.
    And I like my own company, solitude , best of all.
    I really want to study, I do it all the time anyway, it's that I may find the environment challenging.

I hear what your saying but you will be sorry when you're sat there (on your own) looking at textbooks thinking 'how is this meant exactly' and then you will be comforted (by your peers) by the fact that yes that actually was a load of rubbish and I really shouldnt have read as deeply or at length into it.
    there are many "head wrecking" moments in college when you just need to hear how some of your peers feel about it. been there done it ;)

I feel that it is somewhat misleading to line up my responses to others postings to me as though it were all one posting from me and as such a blanket rejection of the entire population of UCC.
    I also feel that you have probably not taken advantage of the opportunity which Shezer offered when he posted a link explaining Asperger's syndrome.
    Social situations are so incredibly difficult for me . .way more than you can possibly imagine . . .if you could then you would not have written as you did.
    I do realise the difficulties caused by my condition, a kind of social dyslexia really, and believe me when I tell you that I am rejected more than I reject, and have discovered that to be self reliant is self protective.
    However I endeavour to keep an open mind . . . .
    it might also be worth remembering that I am one of only 4 mature students in a class of 40 and that I am just about old enough to be the grandmother of most of them.
    I believe that could well be a challenging situation socially for anyone . . .autistic or not.
    I have to summon up bravery to even walk into a room full of people, a store or along a crowded pavement.
    My sensory sensitivities mean that the noise levels resulting from a room of social chat are unbearable.

and do you know much about the long term effects of bullying . . childhood abuse, domestic violence, and rape?
    With respect , I question your ability to judge what is, and what is not appropriate for me and the best way for me survive in an academic environment.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I think what me@ucd is saying is having at least one person to bounce ideas off or have a bit of a rant/chat etc. will help you (or anyone else) while in college.

Have you started yet Birdalone? How you getting on?

. . .because there are wise women in UCC Disability support services who are just that . . .wise . . .they do have an understanding of the potential difficulties caused by social environments in autism and the relative exclusion and distress which may result.
    In their wisdom they have made person- centred arrangements to support me in my studies and my (initially?) potentially isolated and traumatised state.
    It's like saying to a blind man that he really should start seeing because he will really regret being blind when he hears everyone else talking about the amazing sunrise.

• Advertisement

I attended the first saturday of my distance course, higher cert in arts (advocacy studies) in Dublin.
    Feeling quite positive about this one.
    No letter of grant award yet for my BA. at UCC.
    Still waiting for ancient marriage certs from the UK so that I can register in the name I have used for over 25 years.
    Orientation and Registration part 2 tomorrow, already did a Disability Services Orientation last week at UCC.
    I seem to be busy.
    No money to pay the 1150 euro tomorrow so we will see how bad it can get . . .
    Money is so incredibly tight . . .in this I suspect I am not alone.?

I attended an introductory lecture and welcome in the Dept of Psychology on Thursday last and have more initial lectures on this Monday coming.
    I have been spending a lot of time on campus so as to increase my sensory tolerances and become familiarised with the layout.
    I had a call from the Grants dept today to check what address to send their notification of decision to. They did not tell me what the decision was however , so I have my crossed fingers tied together with string . . .no, not really !!
    Should have the letter within a couple of days.
    I am fine considering . . .feeling positive and looking forward to an exhilarating learning experience and a seriously needed break from what could be described as an 11 year stint in a virtual semi- solitary confinement as a highly motivated mother and tutor of my autistic home schooled son.

I feel justified in saying to [EMAIL="me@ucd"]me@ucd[/EMAIL] that I scored at the 97th percentile in the 'critical reasoning' section of the MSAP exam , so that I am feeling reasonably confident of being able to comprehend the meaning of given texts. . . nuff said?

I had a letter of award from Cork Co Co today . . .which is great.
    Interestingly, and I don't think that anyone else has mentioned this, there are to be electronic bank transfers of grants for students at UCC this year, so that certified bank details were requested.
    Hopefully this will minimise delays in payment.
    I do know how lucky I am . . .

Well Done Birdalone. That's great news for you.

2nd day of Freshers for me. Joined a few more socs and went for a few beers in the Pav. Hard to spot many other Mature students about.

I used the phrase "Yes, I'm a first year. I'm a mature student" a lot today. :)

Oh and met my tutor. And someone from my class, finally. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blondy24

I had a letter of award from Cork Co Co today . . .which is great.
    Interestingly, and I don't think that anyone else has mentioned this, there are to be electronic bank transfers of grants for students at UCC this year, so that certified bank details were requested.
    Hopefully this will minimise delays in payment.
    I do know how lucky I am . . .

hey just wondering when you sent your application in? i am also a mature student in ucc, sent mine in early july and have still got no letter so far! :( wish it'd hurry up, the book list is piling up already!! :)

I was pretty early, my number was very small . . .I have sent back the signed and stamped form so now it's just a case of waiting.
    desperately needed . . living on very little food and suffering mood swings as a result.
    Obviously feeding my son and our pets comes first . .and petrol to get me to lectures etc etc . . .looking through the windows into the restaurants and snack bars everyone seems to be eating.
    I haven't had one meal at uni yet . . because I am gluten and dairy intolerant, with various other food allergies feeding myself is both tricky and expensive at the best of times.
    Living on disability allowance, paying rent and for childcare with no extra money in yet is the most stressful aspect of this first week.
    Just have to hang on in there I guess.
    Student assistance fund application forms are not available till october.
    Nothing I can do, tightening my belt . . .and trying to be brave.

I think the first weeks will be hard on everyone's pockets!! Books, joining societies, etc.

I got a free lunch yesterday courtesy of the Mature Student Society. I'll also be taking advantage of the free lunches at the Chaplaincy or any others that are going. Otherwise I'll be bringing in my own lunches!! Feck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blondy24

Well i got my letter and i didn't get the grant, so cross and worried more now about money then i was yesterday. where in ucc do you get the application forms for student assistance fund? Going to have to try find money from everywhere and anywhere now already have debts of over ten thou and if they bring back fee's next year it isn't going to get any easier. Now i'm really thinking what am i doing!

blondy24 wrote: »
    Well i got my letter and i didn't get the grant, so cross and worried more now about money then i was yesterday. where in ucc do you get the application forms for student assistance fund? Going to have to try find money from everywhere and anywhere now already have debts of over ten thou and if they bring back fee's next year it isn't going to get any easier. Now i'm really thinking what am i doing!

I'm pretty sure you can appeal their decision. I would contact the Mature Student Office and Student Union to see how they can help you.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/SIN/welfare/finance/UCCSpecificApplications/UCCStudentAssistanceFund/

• Advertisement

sorry about your grant.
    you could try the millenium fund blondie. . details on studentfinance.ie, even st. vincent de paul might be worth a try.

Advertisement