Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Jazz you listenin to now?

• 01-09-2004 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Where are all the Jizzers out there? This section seems very empty so I wanna start the ball rolling with some good recomendations.......

At the minute I'm listening to:

1. John Coltrane - Giant Steps,
    Class
    2. Pat Martino - Live at Yoshi's
    One of my favourite modern guitarists.
    3. Soweto Kinch - Conversations with the unseen - Alto Sax player from Birmingham, got some great lines and fresh tunes so it's a good listen..
    4. John Coltrane - Blue Trane
    Once again - Class
    5. Steve Coleman - Motherland Pulse
    Odd Metres, crazy alto sax, amazing rhythms, any Steve Coleman stuff is good...check out www.m-base.com for some free mp3 downloads of Steve.

So there ya go...anyone got any recommendations for me?

Cheers
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

Marcus Miller - M2 (quite laid back considering the intensity at which Marcus plays)
    Miles Davis - A Kind Of Blue (a pure classic)

That's about it at the moment, but gonna pick up some Jaco Pastorius soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Jeff Berlin - Lumpy Jazz
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
    Weather Report - Live And Unreleased
    Ronnie Scott Quintet - Never Pat A Burning Dog

Doctor J wrote:
    Weather Report - Live And Unreleased

Is it any use?

Yeah, there's some amazing stuff on there, it spans through most of the groups career. I prefer it to 8:30, think it's far superior. Well worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Anyone heard Paranoid Anderoid by Brad Mehldau? If ya havn't you need to it's amazing, just got it now. He's another musician I'd recommend..class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Paranoid Android? Is it a Radiohead cover or am I just jumping to conclusions?

Yes sure is and it's played all on piano...amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

hes playing in the concert hall on the 15th november... more details on www.note.ie.
    could be good, ill probably go myself

Might have to check that out. If only Ohm would come over too :(

Cheers man gonna get me some tickets to that now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Not Jazz but still...

John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood.

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Rumour has it, Waits is set to play 3 dates in the Olympia in the very near future. Of course, this is only a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Lactating Shark

Now listening: Various Steve Coleman tunes, thanks to the link posted upthread. I've been looking for some 5 elements cds for a while now, thanks Fusion251!

Oh.. hows the Soweto Kinch album? I saw him doing Jazz Planet on the RTE arts show and was well impressed, but I'm wary of dropping 25 quid on the cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

At the moment i'm listening to--

Allan Holdsworth- All Night Wrong(Incredible live album,CHECK IT OUT!!!!)
    Frank Zappa- YCDTOSA Vol.2(The best volume in my opinion)
    John Coltrane- Countdown
    Pat Metheny- Speaking Of Now
    and finally,
    Greg Howe- Hyperacuity( Especially the song Blindfold Drive!!)

Hey Lactating Shark (nice name) Soweto Kinch is pretty cool, you can get the album cheaper on Amazon a bit cheaper http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008Y3UP/qid=1094383306/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-8431043-1138213 It's weel worth the money man, I bought it an transcribed 4 solos I was so impressed with his playing...

woops "cheaper on amazon a bit cheaper" nice English!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

On a recent drive home from Galway, I stopped in Ballinasloe to pick up something new on CD to listen to during the long car journey.

Having seen the documentary by Alan Yentob about John Coltrane and Love Supreme recently on BBC2, I was eager to pick up a copy, but, of course, the only music shop I could find had a VERY limited selection available.

I did manage to find one gem though, and that was Gil Scott-Heron's, Pieces of a Man (the revolution will not be televised). Ironically, while listening to one track (Lady Day and John Coltrane), he sings about how Coltrane will wash your troubles away.

And funnily enough, there was a documentary on GSH recently on BBC2 also. Strange how these things intertwine, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

hehe

on "Psalm" (part 4), Coltrane plays the words to the poem that accompanies the album ("A Love Supreme"). I only found that out after seeing that docu a few weeks/months(?) ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right now listening to Miles Davis "Billy Preston" from Get Up With It (1974)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess
    Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
    Louis Armstrong Hot Fives & Sevens Vol.1-4 (Vol 3 is sublime)
    Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
    John Coltrane - A love supreme
    Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
    St Germaine - Tourist

• Advertisement

Changed again...

Listenin to:

Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird and Diz on Verev, pretty cool stuff.
    (Maybe not so Jazzy, but fusion I guess)
    John Mclaughlin and the Mahivishnu Orchestra - Inner Mountain Flame - This is a classic album...look out for "The Dance of Maya" brilliant!
    And Dave Brubeck - Time Out and Time Further Out - Cool odd metre stuff, Unsquare Dance and Time Out probably most well know tunes!

D

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
    Gordian Knot - Emergent

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue, got it at the weekend, its really nice and laidback.

I'm looking out for some more stuff by Pat Martino, hes great but all his cds are expensive. Anyone got suggestions?

Hey Fusion251, have you any samples of your playing online?

I will soon still working on my site, I'll post the link when I'm done.

Fusion251 wrote:
    I will soon still working on my site, I'll post the link when I'm done.

Cool. I've a few slightly fusion-y mp3s of my own stuff I can send you if you're interested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Doctor J wrote:
    Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
    Gordian Knot - Emergent

Gordian Knot-NICE!! First mention i've seen of them on the forum(about bloody time)
    Emergent kicks ass, have you checked out their first album??

At the moment i'm listening to:
    Allan Holdsworth- Water on the brain pt2(Road Games)
    Zappa- Blessed Relief(Grand Wazoo)
    Speaking of zappa, a new dvd audio album has been released called QuAUDIOPHILAc. GET IT NOW!!!!
    Go to zappa.com for more info

I have indeed. :)

Back on Weather Report - Live and Unreleased again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

All of June Tabor's album "Some Other Time" - some really mellow, lovely interpretations of dribbly jazz on it, particularly "The man I love", "You don't know what love is" and "Round midnight".

Hard to get a hold of, though, but definitely a nice listen, specially for piano lovers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

The Howard Roberts Quartet - When lights are low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

The Partisans - Sourpuss
    Neck and Neck - Chet Atkins / Mark Knoffler

Steve

Advertisement