Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorcycle insurance

Options
  • 16-09-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I got a motorcycle a couple weeks ago and I've just done my ibt. The only crowd that will quote me is axa at over 6000 euro. I got quote from liberty last year for 950 euro but they wont give me one now. I'm 19 and have a 2012 honda cbr250r. Was wondering has had any experiences like this or where should I go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Ask if Liberty will quote you if you do a rider assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ring back around saying you've been refused a quote but be prepared for some whoppers, problem is the combination of youth, inexperience and a high risk bike, best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

At that age, on that bike, there is only one company worth ringing: Liberty.

I've just been through it with my 16 y.o. - basically anything with an 'R' in it is uninsurable.

He did his IBT and his Liberty Assessment and got Level 4, which got it down (sic), to just over 1k.

BN125 it was so !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Liberty insurance.
    Do the rider assessment with Aaran Rider Training in Finglas and you’ll get a discount too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

kceire wrote: »
    Liberty insurance.
    Do the rider assessment with Aaran Rider Training in Finglas and you’ll get a discount too.

my son did exactly that, training and went with Liberty as nobody wanted to touch his R125 bike

6000 is some quote, cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryKon

Painful as it may be, start on a smaller/tamer bike that they will insure for reasonable money. Upgrade after a few months. I started on a 125 and "upgraded" 4 times over 2 years. Paying 390 euro for a 1000cc V-twin at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 on2wheels

Looks like its a Van Van for you! hehe

Big shaq wrote: »
    So I got a motorcycle a couple weeks ago and I've just done my ibt. The only crowd that will quote me is axa at over 6000 euro. I got quote from liberty last year for 950 euro but they wont give me one now. I'm 19 and have a 2012 honda cbr250r. Was wondering has had any experiences like this or where should I go from here?

I'm curious: are you saying they quoted you €950 on the CBR250R, or was the €950 quote you got before on a different 250 ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Big shaq

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'm curious: are you saying they quoted you €950 on the CBR250R, or was the €950 quote you got before on a different 250 ??

€950 on a cbr250r. That's why I ending up buying one.

Big shaq wrote: »
    €950 on a cbr250r. That's why I ending up buying one.

yeah, that's most curious.

But even a small deviation in model (either their end or yours) can have huge effect.

My lad couldn't get a quote on a CBR125 at all. But they quote a CBF125 all day long. Only one letter of a difference.

Same with the Benelli vs Keeway 125. Same bike, engine, power, factory. But one is 25% more to insure than the other. Zero logic there.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement