Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruelty free cosmetics and toiletries

• 29-11-2018 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm in the process of making the switch to only using cruelty free toiletries. I've switched make up brands and have just ordered face products online. However I am still stuck on everyday products like Deodarant and lip balm. Also, i have been using a salon only brand of shampoo and conditioner but after looking into it, it doesn't appear to be cruelty free :( I'm looking for a good quality sulphate and paraben free brand if anyone has any recommendations? One that doesn't cost a fortune.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I’ve not used shampoo for 7 years. Very happy with my hair, not greasy, looks and feels fine.

Why do ordinary human bodies need deodorant? Not being smart, just questioning the need for it. Take a shower each day, use bar soap like Suma’s or some such.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lush should be pretty good. Also Faith in Nature is grand, and Jason would be good, most of their stuff is vegan. Superdrug own brand is supposed to be good. If you're in Dublin check out Skinful affairs, it's nearly completely vegan and the owner is lovely. https://www.skinfullaffairs.ie/ They deliver too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Sanex deodorants and shower gels are reasonably priced, eco friendly and cruelty free.

https://www.sanex.co.uk/products?category=Bath%20and%20shower

I am a big fan of Kinvara Skincare (Galway), their products are plant based and vegan friendly. A jar of the Rosehip Face cream costs €25.95 and it usually lasts 3 months.

https://www.kinvaraskincare.com/

I also like Ri Na Mara (Connemara) https://rinamara.com/our-products/

Ri Na Mara make the Le Mara skin care range for ALDI, the products are sea weed based, the quality is excellent and only a fraction of the price of the Ri Na Mara range.

http://indulgeme.ie/aldi-le-mara-seaweed-skincare/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TeacherAni

There is a difference between cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics. It took me a while before someone pointed that out to me. Cruelty-free cosmetics can still contain some animal by-products.

This is my latest find....

Clonfadda Handmade Soaps based in Killaloe, Co. Clare.

They make a range of soaps, body butters, shaving soap, lip balm & bath bombs
    Vegan Friendly
    SLS Free
    Paraben Free
    Palm Free

http://clonfaddasoaps.com/product/sunset-sandalwood/

• Advertisement

Penneys’ Own Brand cosmetics are now certified animal cruelty free/vegan friendly.

While their range isn’t for everyone, it is really affordable for students or anyone on a tight budget. I have a family member employed by a large well known cosmetic company and she reckons that some of Penneys’ products compare favorably with more expensive brands she tests for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's not my usual forum and apologies if it appears to be trolling.....but, cosmetics like the Penny's stuff is a absolute carbon copy of an existing product that has been previously tested on animals. Once the patent expires, any company is free to make it and sell it without testing on animals as long as it is an exact copy.

This happens with pharmaceuticals also. Further human and animal testing is not required as long as you produce an exact copy and have not infringed on the patent.

Be under no illusions that a company will produce anything to put on or in a human body without having been vigoursly tested for safety and efficacy on animals first.

If for example you got facial burns from a cosmetic your solicitor will argue all day that the product was not correctly tested on animals.

Fair points.

Ultimately, cosmetics are pointless anyway.

Fair points.

Ultimately, cosmetics are pointless anyway.

I’m going to have to disagree here ;)

I am of the firm belief if makeup makes a person feel better about themselves or gives them confidence what’s the harm?

I suppose it’s not unlike men losing their hair or (men and women) choosing to dye their hair. Some are completely fine with going grey or losing their hair but for others it causes them great distress and they will do everything to prevent future hair loss/and they’ll dye their hair as soon as grey hair starts to show.

I’m sure we all have family members or friends who we feel would look better if they stopped dying their hair or if they shaved their heads instead of having a combover or comb forward. Surely our feelings should be irrelevant though? If it makes them happy, shouldn’t it be ok?

Back to makeup, I personally don’t wear much makeup - when I’m at work I’ll wear a tinted moisturizer with a high SPF, mascara and lipgloss or lipstick. On a night out or for a special occasion I would apply full makeup but I favour a natural look. (I have stopped going to Makeup Artists as I always feel I look like a clown by the time they’re done). I detest fake everything - tan, nails, lashes, hair extensions but I would definitely be in a minority amongst my friends and colleagues. I know these things give many women (& some men) a big confidence boost so each to their own I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I use ‘bulldog’ from boots. Cruelty free & vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭thebourke

is there nay kind of ALDI equivalent shop that does cruelty free products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I’ve not used shampoo for 7 years. Very happy with my hair, not greasy, looks and feels fine.

Why do ordinary human bodies need deodorant? Not being smart, just questioning the need for it. Take a shower each day, use bar soap like Suma’s or some such.

That's pretty condescending, not everybody is as perfect as you :rolleyes:

That's pretty condescending

Not a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

You do realise that all cosmetics are tested on animals, they have to be.

They develop a cosmetic or cream, test it on animals and then they slightly tweek the ingredients, small enough so that retesting isn't justified but enough to be allowed to call it a new product, then they rip off ignorant people.

For your own sakes, save your money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Penneys’ Own Brand cosmetics are now certified animal cruelty free/vegan friendly.

While their range isn’t for everyone, it is really affordable for students or anyone on a tight budget. I have a family member employed by a large well known cosmetic company and she reckons that some of Penneys’ products compare favorably with more expensive brands she tests for work.

Some products in the Catrice range they stock are vegan, too, as well as cruelty-free/not tested on animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

I make my own deodorant - it takes 5 minutes to make, lasts for months and there's no plastic waste. And it's as effective as anything I used to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ali2019

Does anyone know if any affordable body moisturiser that they can recommend, please? Certified vegan and cruelty free! Also, if it’s available in Munster! Need to check out SuperDrug next time I’m in Dublin :)

Advertisement