Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

flazio wrote: »
    Looking at the met app, it looks like it's been downgraded to a yellow for the whole country.
    What pad199207 wrote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

flazio wrote: »
    So why take the Atlantic coast counties off orange?
    This is the latest warning issued at 8 this morning.

The yellow warning expires at 13:00 tomorrow, I assume we'll get another warning from 13:00 onwards tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    Being amended. More counties likely to go orange with the possibility of a red warning for some counties.

Yeah their website is poorly designed. Surely csn just update without taking down warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cork added to the orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Then it makes no sense to downgrade if it's actually going to be worse. If this was the only time somebody checks the weather forecast, they could be lured into a false sense of security.
    Some event that could go ahead in a yellow but get called off in an orange is theoretically going ahead.

• Advertisement

Cork added to the orange.

Yeah seems the only change. Far too early for red warnings better wait until later this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Entire west coast gone orange now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah seems the only change. Far too early for red warnings better wait until later this afternoon.

Yeah I was thinking the same although they do suggest gusts of 130kmh or higher in exposed areas so they not far off a red.

Yeah I was thinking the same although they do suggest gusts of 130kmh or higher in exposed areas so they not far off a red.

Unless showing further inland they usually don’t go red it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Mother lives in an exposed area in Co. Donegal. We are evacuating her to my sister's house. The house is sturdy but it's the sea that worries us. I witnessed swells reaching the back door during storms in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

corsav6 wrote: »
    Entire west coast gone orange now.

Why had Trump been swimming in the sea at Doonbeg again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This storm is coinciding with low tides reducing the risk of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Discodog wrote: »

That's a relief. Bizarre to see seaweed and other marine debris in the garden and caught on the hawthorn bushes following a swell. Last significant time was 2014. I remember back in the mid 1970s there was a really bad storm and the sea reached the back window sills. All lino and carpets were ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway tide Sunday 3pm not good

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Storm 10 wrote: »

5 meter swell forecast for Lahinch tomorrow, combine this with severe onshore winds and it could be a big test for the new coastal defenses. Unprotected coastlines will take a big pounding from this and Salthill is guaranteed to flood

Where is the location for low tides that you posted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes but its a fairly low high tide. Just 4.3m. I think Salthill will get some flooding but nothing we haven't seen before. They'll close the road too. The worst of the storm will come as the tide is receding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭endainoz

I guess they were on about the low tides around 9pm or so in Lahinch? It's the mid afternoon hight tide that will be the issue though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

endainoz wrote: »
    I guess they were on about the low tides around 9pm or so in Lahinch? It's the mid afternoon hight tide that will be the issue though.

Lahinch HT is 2:47pm. Just 3.8m which is low. A meter makes a big difference in storm surges.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So cork is in the orange wind warning now. In an orange warning in general not this storm in particular is the likelihood of power cuts high ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So cork is in the orange wind warning now. In an orange warning in general not this storm in particular is the likelihood of power cuts high ?

Yes very possible particular in coastal areas.

Relatively low. Galway

Sat. 4.1
    Sun. 4.3
    Mon. 4.5

A lot depends on wind direction.

Can someone remind me. Are Arpege local times the same as here?

Never saw a storm thread so quite bit of an anti climax so far

People aren't concerned about the West :)

Confused with this on breaking news we are already in Orange in the nine counties are they upgrading the current yellows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Looking on the bright side, the Shannon Radar hasn't crashed - yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd say they have to be fairly careful with these warnings. As I'd imagine alot Christmas light turn ons are tonight or tomorrow night. I'd imagine plenty these bring plenty of money to small towns and villages. I know it's one of the busier nights up my way. So they would want to get the warning right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

First proper storm since moving home to mayo
    Quite an elevated site exposed to w/sw........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Confused with this on breaking news we are already in Orange in the nine counties are they upgrading the current yellows

No, they're simply saying that the yellow currently in place (which it's not, but that's beside the point) will change to Orange in 9 countries tomorrow.

Very very poorly written piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭endainoz

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No, they're simply saying that the yellow currently in place (which it's not, but that's beside the point) will change to Orange in 9 countries tomorrow.

Very very poorly written piece.

It's the Irish Independent, what else would you expect? The other rags will jump on the bandwagon later on I reckon.

Advertisement