Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭pauldry

Probably 115kph in Mace Head but high tides could be noteworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

all mentions of stormy weather dropped now,severe damaging winds,etc another bust,christ the models are atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Interestingly, got a text from cork city council that an “orange weather alert” has been issued for the counties that we see in the advisory. None of which include cork. Edit: new advisory including it now.

So the storm has been named.

Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick

Storm Atiyah will track between Iceland and Ireland on Sunday generating a swathe of very strong winds across the country.

Southwesterly winds later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts from 110 to 130km/h.

Due to a combination of high seas and storm surge there is a possibility of coastal flooding.

Valid: Sunday 08 December 2019 09:00 to Monday 09 December 2019 06:00

Issued: Friday 06 December 2019 09:00
    Storm Atiyah will track between Iceland and Ireland on Sunday generating a swathe of very strong winds across the country. <br><br>Southwest winds later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60 km/h with gusts of up to 100 km/h.
    Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford

Storm Atiyah will track between Iceland and Ireland on Sunday generating a swathe of very strong winds across the country.

Southwest winds later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60 km/h with gusts of up to 100 km/h.

Valid: Sunday 08 December 2019 15:00 to Monday 09 December 2019 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Interestingly, got a text from cork city council that an “orange weather alert” has been issued for the counties that we see in the advisory. None of which include cork. Edit: new advisory including it now.

I was just going to post this! Very strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Have we moved to advisories now instead of coloured warnings? Or is there a specific timeframe when coloured warnings are issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Officially an Orange warning now.

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick

Southwesterly winds later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts from 110 to 130km/h.

Due to a combination of high seas and storm surge there is a possibility of coastal flooding.

Valid: Sunday 08 December 2019 09:00 to Monday 09 December 2019 06:00

Issued: Friday 06 December 2019 09:00

Updated: 2019-12-06T09:00:02+00:00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

They seem to be handling this well so far. Two advisories, upgraded one advisory to orange when they realized they are fairly spot on and kept the other while they wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Interesting .. article says "A status yellow wind warning has been issued for all of Leinster plus Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford."

However no YELLOW up to now on the Met Eireann Map ...

EDIT - spoke too soon, NOW YELLOW

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Advertisement

core of damaging winds just to the west of Ireland on the 06 z gfs

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya this will be a proper storm not like that last one that was overhyped

However atlantic coastal counties will be main ones affected and theyr used to this but again id be worried about high seas in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭endainoz

We'll have great fun in North Clare on Sunday so! The swell during the afternoon will be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I mentioned this before, but these county by county 'warnings' are just ridiculous:

p9mNlil.png

For example, all of south Leitrim included in the warning, yet Co. Roscommon, which is actually further west, is not. Kerry and Limerick included, yet N. Cork, and N. Tipperary, which is in the same general region, is not. Wind and wild weather do not recognise borders.

Not expecting much from this system for inland Galway, but nice to see the Atlantic finally attempting to perk up a little at last.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I mentioned this before, but these county by county 'warnings' are just ridiculous:

p9mNlil.png

For example, all of south Leitrim included in the warning, yet Co. Roscommon, which is actually further west, is not. Kerry and Limerick included, yet N. Cork, and N. Tipperary, which is in the same general region, is not. Wind and wild weather do not recognise borders.

Not expecting much from this system for inland Galway, but nice to see the Atlantic finally attempting to perk up a little at last.

So how would you suggest it works then? Get the priest from each parish to make the call on which colour they should be. The system isn't perfect but it's fairly straightforward to follow.

Everything is wrong and i have no suggestions on how to improve it and i wont try to either.and its your fault. Ireland in a nutshell.

endainoz wrote: »
    The system isn't perfect but it's fairly straightforward to follow.
    No, it isn't.
    Is there any reason why winds suddenly die down once they reach Roscommon as they move in from east Galway (much of which is just as east and sheltered) and Mayo? Is their any suggestion that east Galway, which is included in the warning, will suffer the same wind speeds as exposed coastal headlands in the the west of the country?
    I know my county; I know how the weather works in it, and I know that these one size fits all warnings do not work.

New Moon

Everything is wrong and i have no suggestions on how to improve it and i wont try to either.and its your fault. Ireland in a nutshell.

I posted an old RTE weather forecast a few weeks back, and it was agreed by a few on here that charts back then were clearer and easier to understand because they used the tried and trusted method of using simple 'dividing lines' to show where the rain was more likely to occur.

Take a look at the method the UK Met use when issuing warnings. They show yellow regions that are independent of county borders to show which areas are likely to be affected by severe weather, and this works much better in my opinion.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

p9mNlil.png

Pray for Monaghan, Status Black according to that map:eek:

I know my county; I know how the weather works in it, and I know that these one size fits all warnings do not work.

Good for you, and if you can read a forecast then warnings shouldn't matter to you.

• Advertisement

Good for you, and if you can read a forecast then warnings shouldn't matter to you.
    And sad for you if you can't.

And your response did nothing to address any of my points.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

We'll have great fun in North Clare on Sunday so! The swell during the afternoon will be impressive.

Doolin cliff walk would be class!

If the latest ECMWF is correct, then away from the west coast, it would be the north and east that would fall under the 'orange' warning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I’m going to first apologise for the question I’m about to ask , I’m aware these kind of questions can be annoying so I am sorry but I’m desperate .
    In due to land in cork at about 1pm Sunday and am just wondering if any of you experts here can advise me if you think the timing of this flight might be ok to land before the bad winds arrive ? Obviously ryanair will not give details until the last minute so I want to be fully prepared with a plan b ! Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Thewife wrote: »
    Obviously ryanair will not give details until the last minute so I want to be fully prepared with a plan b !

For good reason, nobody can predict with that level of accuracy if a plane will land at a certain time or not in stormy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Thewife still too early to say, at the moment it looks like gusts of up to 40knots from a west/south west direction look likely around that time (compared to a max of around 55knots later on Sunday). Seems to tie in with what met eireann are saying with respect to the arrival of strong winds later Sunday. I would guess landings will be possible in those conditions, but I'm not a pilot. Whether your plane will be on time nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it . I suppose what I was really wondering was if flights are usually cancelled when certain warnings are made , i know a red warning would mean airport closures etc I wondered if similar applied to orange warnings .

Darwin wrote: »
    @Thewife still too early to say, at the moment it looks like gusts of up to 40knots from a west/south west direction look likely around that time (compared to a max of around 55knots later on Sunday). Seems to tie in with what met eireann are saying with respect to the arrival of strong winds later Sunday. I would guess landings will be possible in those conditions, but I'm not a pilot. Whether your plane will be on time nobody knows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE 12Z back showing very strong winds, probably the strongest so far. Would probably bring more counties into Orange warning levels and showing extremely high winds in Atlantic coastal counties. All eyes on the ECM 12Z out after 18.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ARPEGE 12Z back showing very strong winds, probably the strongest so far. Would probably bring more counties into Orange warning levels and showing extremely high winds in Atlantic coastal counties. All eyes on the ECM 12Z out after 18.00

Could this go Red big shopping day on the 8th

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Could this go Red big shopping day on the 8th

Ah the 8th isn't much of a shopping day anymore, particularly not on a Sunday. The 8th used to be a holy day (remember those?!) So (mainly rural) folk used to take it off as a big shopping day, but the likes of black Friday and Cyber Monday and all that rubbish seems to have taken over these days.

Advertisement