Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Energy ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

lets move this to business the snakeoil subforum...

does anybody know any of the people that work there...
    do they really have an office in the docklands, anyone gone there?
    has an address of 5 estatte cottages off northumberland road beside the canal

I distrust middle age businessmen with longish hair, we've all met them, they were all

where are their other products, where is the wind powered cctv cameras? where are their mobile batteries?

Optical forensics for tracing counterfeit recorded media, P. J. Smith, P. O’Doherty,C. Luna, Fraudhalt Ltd. (Ireland); S. McCarthy, Steorn Ltd. (Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm curious what would all this extra energy coming into our universe would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I am curious ..... I'd like to understand what ANY of ye are saying !

But I don't , and I don't forsee that changing , but while I have ye here I can try and get some simplistic answers from ye .

There are loads of questions here so I better number them

1:This crown claim to have devised a way to get more energy out that they put in ?
    2:They claim that in doing this they do not wear down the components of their machinery ?
    3: or is it that in relation to question 2 that they claim to not wear down whatever it is that is creating the energy ?
    4: I understand why a coal burning power station depletes the coal it uses to help create the power but how does this apply to wind turbines and wave/water turbines ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

jonski wrote:
    4: I understand why a coal burning power station depletes the coal it uses to help create the power but how does this apply to wind turbines and wave/water turbines ?
    The wind slows down by impacting the windmills. Which is a loss in Kinetic Energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If something travels a full revolution around a magnet, then surely the energy gained only came from the kinetic energy of the object rotating the magnet? I thought that was the principle behind electric generators?

• Advertisement

interest comment on a blog here... could jst be BS

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/18/steorn-inventors-of-infinite-energy-destroyers-of-laws-of-ther/2#comments

Hi,

Let me tell you a little story - I am based in the Phyiscs Dept of a UK Uni (nameless as there are Non Disclosure Agreements in place), but we were asked to test this Steorn system - Now I wasnt working myself on this but was asked to look at the results - Simlpy put there was an "anomaly" in the results that we were at a lost to explain - this "anomaly" was that the design of the test system, (where we were given Steorn designs but purchased all components ourselves, biult it, tested, etc,) was that there appears to be a net energy gain when you move through the magnetics fields... We stated to Steorn that this "anomaly" required further examination. this was 6 months ago and we cannot find where this excess energy in the system is coming from... We are at a lost to explain it... But magnetics is admittently a bit of a grey area, we know the capabilities of electromagnetism but this is an area that hasnt had the same level of academic research as for example DNA sequencing, astrophysics, etc... the scientific community and industry knew how to create electricity and we left it at that - magnetics is a neglected part of our natural world and the Steorn "anomaly" has left our Dept quite baffled as we are left at a loss to explain it in Classical terms...

I await what the rest of our community says when they have an opportunity to see this Steon system...

S

Posted at 7:27AM on Aug 19th 2006 by Shadit243 [ ! ]

some people insist it got to with the xbox/halo3 viral marketing apparently bungie did something like this before...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

But magnetics is admittently a bit of a grey area, we know the capabilities of electromagnetism but this is an area that hasnt had the same level of academic research as for example DNA sequencing, astrophysics, etc...
    If that came from someone based in a physics department, its the guy who cleans the windows.

We are at a lost to explain it... But magnetics is admittently a bit of a grey area, we know the capabilities of electromagnetism but this is an area that hasnt had the same level of academic research as for example DNA sequencing, astrophysics, etc... the scientific community and industry knew how to create electricity and we left it at that - magnetics is a neglected part of our natural world and the Steorn "anomaly" has left our Dept quite baffled as we are left at a loss to explain it in Classical terms...
    Complete BS.
    Electromagnetism is the most understood thing in modern physics.
    Gravity hasn't been quantised, the Strong Force may have surprises left in its equations, but there isn't anything major left for electromagnetism.
    In fact we even know where it comes from.

That person is not in a physics department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Son Goku wrote:
    Complete BS.
    ... but there isn't anything major left for electromagnetism.

Oh no... don't say that ... that's the worst thing you could say... as sone as some one says there's nothing more to learn in XYZ field of physics then something changes and people look stupid... I'm not saying that steorns stuff is going to be paradigm changing... but something will come up and bite that statement in the bottom.

This energy anomaly ... how large is it? were the strengths of the magnets tested before and after the tests? do the magnets heat up from the field interations?

If this "free energy" tech turns out to work ( which I don't think it will ) it'll probably turn out that you'll need a machine the size of a house to produce as much energy as a few AA batteries and the magnetic domains in the magnets will slowly become disorganised by the heat generated by the process and have to be replaced... and making magnets uses alot of power... you have to heat them and a low them to cool in a very strong magnetic field...

kiffer wrote:
    Oh no... don't say that ... that's the worst thing you could say... as sone as some one says there's nothing more to learn in XYZ field of physics then something changes and people look stupid... I'm not saying that steorns stuff is going to be paradigm changing... but something will come up and bite that statement in the bottom.
    No it isn't. As much as people like to say this kind of "We always find more out, which changes everything completely" thing, it very rarely happens and has never happened to the degree which is often sugessted. It is very unlikely that there will be a fundamental change in our understanding of electromagnetism.

It has only really ever happened to Newtonian Gravity.

Unlike everyother force in physics, we actually know where electromagnetism comes from, we can trace its origins. As such there is very little left to surprise us.

For instance we learned that magnetism and electical forces don't go any deeper than a certain level from Maxwell's equations. After Maxwell's equations it was the combined electromagnetic force that could contain surprises.

And now with Glashow, Salam and Weinberg Unification, we only have questions about electroweak, not electromagnetism.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    If that came from someone based in a physics department, its the guy who cleans the windows.

In fairness now wasn't it the cleaner of the lab that invented the improbability drive?

Son Goku wrote:
    it very rarely happens and has never happened to the degree which is often sugessted. It is very unlikely that there will be a fundamental change in our understanding of electromagnetism.

So there is a possibility ?

jonski wrote:
    So there is a possibility ?
    A very low one, like there is for all human knowledge.
    It is not a reasonable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Son Goku wrote:
    No it isn't. As much as people like to say this kind of "We always find more out, which changes everything completely" thing, it very rarely happens and has never happened to the degree which is often sugessted. It is very unlikely that there will be a fundamental change in our understanding of electromagnetism.

It was pretty much a joke... :) Murphys law and all that...

kiffer wrote:
    It was pretty much a joke... :) Murphys law and all that...
    Ah grand. Sorry, I hear that line (about stuff possibly changing) so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

2 points

1st: i don't believe these guys claims for a second and my guess is that this Steorn company will crop up in Series 3 of LOST as having some connection with the electromagnetic field surrounding the losties island!

2nd: the steorn ceo starred in a show called 'men behaving badly' some years back, see attached JPG

EDIT: hmm can't seem to attach image to this post, tis available here:
    http://four.fsphost.com/feilim/steorn_ceo.jpg

jArgHA wrote:
    2 points

1st: i don't believe these guys claims for a second and my guess is that this Steorn company will crop up in Series 3 of LOST as having some connection with the electromagnetic field surrounding the losties island!

While you may well be right , they have already stated that they have nothing to do with xbox , halo 3 or Lost .

2nd: the steorn ceo starred in a show called 'men behaving badly' some years back, see attached JPG

EDIT: hmm can't seem to attach image to this post, tis available here:
    http://four.fsphost.com/feilim/steorn_ceo.jpg

Close , but no cigar :(

Back to the ' me not understanding this ' thing .

In simplified form are they saying something like , we can start this machine with a 9 volt battery and it will create enough power to run a washing machine without wearing out anything but the washing machine ?

Also who or what are NEC ?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Steorn_Free_Energy#NEC_Involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jonski wrote:
    Back to the ' me not understanding this ' thing .

In simplified form are they saying something like , we can start this machine with a 9 volt battery and it will create enough power to run a washing machine without wearing out anything but the washing machine ?

Also who or what are NEC ?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Steorn_Free_Energy#NEC_Involvement
    Hmmm that makes it even more interesting. If you read about MPI who "applaud" steorn, they claim to "be close enough to have some demonstration modules, which extracts energy from the vacuum of space ready for market by end of 2006".

Not only that, a subsidiary of theirs Ultraconductors "developed the world's first ambient temperature superconducting materials" back in 2004.

Pure bs.

Oh and NEC appears to be a company founded by the guy who wrote that wiki.
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][/FONT][/SIZE]

Blowfish wrote:

Oh and NEC appears to be a company founded by the guy who wrote that wiki.
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][/FONT][/SIZE]

They don't seem to be as official as they sound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

NEC? Nippon Electric Company? Huge multinational?

BendiBus wrote:
    NEC? Nippon Electric Company? Huge multinational?
    If you'd actually bothered reading it, you would see it isn't them he is talking about.

Interesting update on the Wiki. Appears they haven't filed anything since 2004 and it means the company could be busted up if they don't do anything before October. The patents would fall into government domain (lol)

Even more interesting in the discussion part. Appears Steorn has a sister company at the same address. No idea what that would mean though.

Hobbes wrote:
    Even more interesting in the discussion part. Appears Steorn has a sister company at the same address. No idea what that would mean though.
    Let me guess the sister company have discovered how to time travel using only paper clips and elastic bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Today FM talking about this in a few mins.

Mike.

The phone in comments afterwards were to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Anyone got a recording? - I missed it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be online from tomorrow www.todayfm.com

Mike.

• Advertisement

what did they say was it the last word?

some description here http://www.steorn.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2041&page=1#Item_0

is this their sister company fraudhalt ? some guy rang them... mp3

http://www.steorn.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1831&page=1#Item_26

Advertisement