Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where did it all go wrong (or very right) for ....

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tim Robbins.

He was everywhere in the 90's, starting that decade with Jacob's Ladder and following it up with a string of critical successes such as The Player, Short Cuts, Shawshank Redemption, Arlington Road. he also directs Dead Man Walking in '95.

Last big movie I recall seeing him was a small part in War of the Worlds.

What happened?

Yes he has been very quite in front of the camera after he did win an Oscar for Mystic River

I think HBO's Cinema Verite was his last known role

Maybe his break up with Susan Sarandon had made him reclusive

He is great actor comfortable in both drama and comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Tim Robbins.
    I watched him in 2013's Life of Crime, with Jennifer Aniston, which wasn't very good. It can be considered a prequel of sorts to Jackie Brown, as Mos Def plays a younger version of Ordell Robbie (played by Samuel L. Jackson in Jackie Brown) and John Hawkes plays a younger version of Louis Gara, (played by Robert De Niro in Jackie Brown).

Robbins was also in 2011's Green Lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Adamantium wrote: »
    James Cameron was going to cast Michael Biehn as the villan in Avatar, but didn't want people thinking it was going to be an Aliens retread as they already had Sigourney Weaver involved.

Rumours are will be cast in some capacity in Avatar 2 now that Avatar is an established franchise/name,

Michael Biehn is Steve McQueen levels of effortless cool and presence. For as much as people talk about Arnold in T1, Biehn blew me away, the aura and intensity around him when he talked about Judgement Day and the purgatory of the future. The entire franchise was built on the foundation his performance laid. (and his other roles too, a very convincing performer who always made made it real)

In most of the films he was in, directors and crew frequently praise his ability as just effortless, and how he rarely needs something explained twice.

Worth remembering he came into Aliens after shooting had already started, and did most of the film on the fly, reading the script shortly before shooting the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Jack Black seems to be gone on the blink. (Not that I'm worried or anything....)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ok, new rule. For every "all go wrong" story" we need a "all go right one after it :p

Otherwise you'll have this guy to answer to

simmons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

James Cameron was going to cast Michael Biehn as the villan in Avatar, but didn't want people thinking it was going to be an Aliens retread as they already had Sigourney Weaver involved.

Rumours are will be cast in some capacity in Avatar 2 now that Avatar is an established franchise/name,

Michael Biehn is Steve McQueen levels of effortless cool and presence. For as much as people talk about Arnold in T1, Biehn blew me away, the aura and intensity around him when he talked about Judgement Day and the purgatory of the future. The entire franchise was built on the foundation his performance laid. (and his other roles too, a very convincing performer who always made made it real)

I'm a big fan of Biehn (I think his portrayal of Johnny Ringo in Tombstone might be his finest hour)... but to say his performance was the foundation the Terminator franchise was built on is just, well, silly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ageyev wrote: »
    Colin Farrell. Great debut performance in a lead role with Tigerland. Appears in a great Spielberg film. Puts Bruce Willis to shame in Hart's War and holds in own opposite Pacino in The Recruit. Lots of hype, next big thing etc. etc.

Then does Alexander and that didn't go so well. The New World was very good but came after Alexander. Miami Vice left a sour taste. Then goes off to rehab and comes back with In Bruges which was amazing and looked like a great comeback but since he has taken a lot of generic action roles. He seems to shine better in "quirky" (for want of a better term) supporting roles now.

I wonder how well he will do in True Detective. I've a few friends who balked at the idea of him acting in series two based on the bland performances in his latter stage blockbusters eg. Total Recall

Farrell is at his best when he's not in A-list big blockbuster movies rather small scale films. He's actually a good actor, not Michael Fassbender great, but when he has a great script behind him and he looks interested, he's a top actor. I thought he was very good in Saving Mr Banks. So him been in True detective doesn't shock me. I think he should be looking at how Guy Pearce does it, Clearly isn't comfortable in the A-list blockbuster leading man role, plays secondary roles, Tv Roles and leads indie films and for that is one of the best around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Him and Kyle Chandler are my man crushes, lol.

MichealBeihnTerminator028.jpg

Makes me love Solid Snake even more:

kylereeseissolidsnake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Manchegan wrote: »
    A good recent interview appeared in The Guardian

I think the first thing she should have done was to get rid of her useless deadbeat manager, which also happens to be her Dad who caused more trouble then anything and is one of the reasons her career didn't reach the heights it should have. Her own attitude certainly didn't help her. She was amazing in Ghost World, even watching it now she makes you forget Scarlett Johansson is in it. But unlike Johansson she didn't play the game and those who surrounded her were her own worst enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Cronenberg went BELLY UP with M BUTTERFLY.

Seems the EXTRAS on THE FLY featured some butterfly baby thing
    flying away at THE END.

Obviously anything after went a BIT QUARE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

Already mentioned…but where did Michelle Pfeiffer disappear to?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Michael Fassbender showed his all in Shame and his career has been very much on the rise, teaming with McQueen too is a smart move by him, is he the "new Daniel Day Lewis"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Michael Fassbender showed his all
    Deliberate?

I'll agree he's a superstar now, but it's very hard to pinpoint where it all went "right". I remember seeing the monologue in Hunger, or the more "uncomfortable" scenes in Fishtank and it was clear this was an actor made for the big time. Shame was probabaly the first critically acclaimed role, but it came after Inglorious which I'd say was his "right" moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I'll agree he's a superstar now, but it's very hard to pinpoint where it all went "right".

his Guinness ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

You could argue that it's all gone wrong for M. Night Shyamalan.

The Sixth Sense (1999)
    Unbreakable (2000)
    Signs (2002)
    The Village (2004)

The above is a great run of films. It was followed by:

Lady in the Water (2006)
    The Happening (2008)
    The Last Airbender (2010)
    After Earth (2013)

I enjoyed parts of The Happening and on paper After Earth is a film I should love but I fell asleep half-way through and never rewatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

folan wrote: »
    his Guinness ad.

Nonsense, he was well into the Heyday by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Cronenberg went BELLY UP with M BUTTERFLY.

No it DIDN'T. 'History of Violence' and 'Eastern Promises' are both SOLID.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Sharon Stone, could do no wrong with Total Recall, Basic Instinct, The Quick and the Dead. Then Assassins with Stallone and it was all over.

Julia Roberts, even bigger star still only in her mid 40's but looks like star has dipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Brendão wrote: »
    You could argue that it's all gone wrong for M. Night Shyamalan.

Stating the obvious, I don't think there is an argument there at all.
    Lady in the Water was his vanity project that went tits up and lost a packet, studios lost trust in him and he seemed to lose his confidence which comes across in his later stuff. He must be desparate for a hit at this stage, all a bit sad really.

Advertisement