Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

• 29-06-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Finally a trailer is out and the film is getting a "Them" version general release in September, "Him" and "Her" versions also getting a release (major Oscar campaigning :p)

James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain playing the leads, both great actors, looking forward to this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yes! Hoping that more film-making experiments like this and Boyhood get major releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Frankly I think it's a bit silly releasing two (or three, as the case may be) versions of the film. Would much prefer they stick with one version rather than fragment it the distribution. The alternate cut would be a perfect extra feature.

Have to agree that the multiple versions seems somewhat frustrating, much as I love to support any filmmaker who tries something different I really don't want to pay to see the same story just from a different perspective. Releasing the strongest of the three in cinemas would make a lot of sense with the other versions being available on the home release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I should clarify i wouldn't be totally against seperate 'him' and 'her' releases, or preferably the two shown back to back: I'd count that as one form of release even if I had to buy two tickets, since as far as I can tell they're effectively separate albeit interconnected films. It's that there's going to be that and the 'them' cut.

It's just a bit irritating and potentially confusing when there's multiple cuts of a film floating around on first release (was the same with Nyphomaniac, although at least we only ever got one version here). It would be great if the director and distributor sat down and agreed on one version for the big screen, and kept the other in the vault until the home release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It was conceived as two films. The combined cut was done at the behest of Weinstein. I doubt the director would have agreed to it if it meant his original 2-film version missing out on a theatrical release. In any case, Him and Her is strictly arthouse fare. They'll get a week in the IFI and the Lighthouse if they are lucky. Most people will only see the Them version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This sounds very interesting if nothing else.. it's more or less, a love story told from 3 different perspectives in 3 different movies.

The first movie 'Them' is released next month in the US.

'Him' and 'Her' told from McAvoy's and Chastain's characters perspectives, respectively, have no release date set as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

It's a great idea.

I presume a theatrical release of "Him" & "Her" would be contingent on how well "Them" does. Maybe just a DVD release.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

QikBax wrote: »
    It's a great idea.

I presume a theatrical release of "Him" & "Her" would be contingent on how well "Them" does. Maybe just a DVD release.
    Actually, just doing some reading on it, and some sites seem to indicate the movie that's being released ("Them") is a truncated version with bits from "Him" and "Her" merged into one.

But a release for separate movies could potentially be on DVD.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basq wrote: »
    Actually, just doing some reading on it, and some sites seem to indicate the movie that's being released ("Them") is a truncated version with bits from "Him" and "Her" merged into one.

But a release for separate movies could potentially be on DVD.

Studio interference I wonder?

Have to say I'm much more interested in seeing Him and Her than Them.

The Weinstein Company announcesd that The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him/Her will be screening in a number of theaters on October 10th. Hopefully we will see a few screenings over here at the same time and this time cinemas don't charge us twice like they did when Nymphomaniac was screened earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They will. And since they are two separate films, the argument for doing so is stronger than it was for Nymphomaniac and Kill Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this got something to do with the beatles song?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, Jessica Chastian doesn't appear to be wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door, so who is it for?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Did this ever get a release over here?

No, not yet. And TWC are distributing, so I'm not holding my breath, especially since Harvey's edit flopped in the US. But it might pop up at JDIFF in March along with all the other films he's shelved in the last 24 months.

In any case, it's out on Blu-ray in the US in a couple of weeks. And I believe all 3 versions are already on Netflix France.

Advertisement