Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clonakilty Veggie Pudding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I tried it and liked it so much I bought it again. I have it with a Linda McCartney sausage, a fried egg, grilled tomato and potato bread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I will be trying it shortly, sold out everywhere I've been so far. There is a Derry Clarke Chickpea pudding in Supervalu that is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Clonakilty released a vegan gluten-free version of white pudding a few weeks ago.

Anyone tried it?
    https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/the-full-irish-clonakilty-introduce-new-vegan-pudding-38479932.html

I've bought it a few times now too! I may be addicted. :rolleyes:

Devastated to read this is available as I have left Ireland already.

Had no idea it existed. Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I tried it and liked it so much I bought it again. I have it with a Linda McCartney sausage, a fried egg, grilled tomato and potato bread.
    Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I've bought it a few times now too! I may be addicted. :rolleyes:

Where in the shops do they stock it?

I just searched a big Dunnes and Tesco in Galway but no luck. Checked next to normal Clonakilty puddings and also the veggie and free-from areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I just searched a big Dunnes and Tesco in Galway but no luck. Checked next to normal Clonakilty puddings and also the veggie and free-from areas.

“Clonakilty Veggie Pudding is available in select Tesco, Dunnes Stores, SuperValu and Spar stores. It is also available to buy from our Butcher Shop, Edward Twomey’s, in Clonakilty, Co. Cork”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Are vegans not morally and ethically bothered by buying products and therefore supporting a company that primarily is involved in the business of profiting from the death of pigs?

I'm not trolling I'm just interested to see what vegans point of view is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Car99 wrote: »
    Are vegans not morally and ethically bothered by buying products and therefore supporting a company that primarily is involved in the business of profiting from the death of pigs?

I think it's good to show support for these products. If sales are good it might encourage them and others to focus more on the meat free market and reduce their reliance on meat.

We have to eat. If you took that view you'd never eat anywhere or anything because most companies and shops are involved in meat for profit on some level.

Tilikum17 wrote: »

“Clonakilty Veggie Pudding is available in select Tesco, Dunnes Stores, SuperValu and Spar stores. It is also available to buy from our Butcher Shop, Edward Twomey’s, in Clonakilty, Co. Cork”

I didn't ask what shops... where in the shops do they stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

I’ve found it in Dunnes in Tralee alongside the normal Clonakilty products. It’s okay I much prefer the Kelly’s white pudding.

• Advertisement

I don’t know, pal. Why did you actually ask someone that works in the shop when you were in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Car99 wrote: »

Each to her own - I dislike supporting shops where (knowingly) part of my money could go towards animal exploitation and thus my retail opportunities are often limited.

We're lucky to have Meanwell in Ennis, which is 100% vegan, largely organic and run by veg*ns. Sadly a lot of their suppliers will have operations which involve animal exploitation.

Having said all that, I empathise with eviltwin above.

Time is limited, information is often non-existent and no-one can be perfect. You have to set the best example you can, given your own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

As a very heavily processes product is this not pure muck and incredibly unhealthy for you?

No matter what it tastes like?

davegilly wrote: »
    As a very heavily processes product is this not pure muck and incredibly unhealthy for you?

It’s nice you care.

Do you ask this of all food products ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

For people that don't see why we should support things like this: I don't like this dude but I agree with him about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIF3Y3qMLg Company's are going to try and enter the vegan market space, and to allow them to remain there and to continue being there - increasing their options and reducing their meat use - we have to support them, otherwise nothing will change.

E.G. Take a fast food place. McDonald's recently introduced vegan food in other countries and only have a menu so large, more vegan stuff on it is fairly huge due to the market they reach and less meat on the menu. It also helps it be more affordable for people who wanna eat out and aren't too well off. Same arguments were aimed at Ben and Jerry's, now half their shelf space is vegan in my local tesco, half way around the world from where it first sold and is selling well, even my non-vegan friends are eating it. Not only did people in the US supporting them increase the selection for people around the world it's also taken non-vegan flavours off shelves.

Corporations are corporations; they change due to money and they will not change overnight, you need them to start having one vegan option, two etc. Not only that - these mainstream places, that's what tons of people care about, brand and convenience.
    You think non-vegan people were eating the vegan ice cream before Ben and Jerry's came here? They won't even TRY it when I offer it. Never underestimate brands and convenience for furthering our cause for the common person, and we are the ones who are the initial demand to get these things off the ground.

Another point regarding McDonald's is this is something cheap people can get, it's a third of the price of any burger I can get out now and a lot of people can't afford that, especially families with young children who they like to treat out to something like that.

For the pudding in particular, it's brand recognition, a familiar food and when people stop eating real pudding it will help them to have familiar food to eat. For vegans they have to think, what is the path for a company to become vegan? It's to start off small, see the support grow for those offerings and gradually change, increasing the amount of those options and reducing the amount of non-vegan options.

Excellent post Tar.

Wish I could articulate my hopes/frustrations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

davegilly wrote: »

Ingredients: Gluten Free Oatmeal, Onions (35%), Water, Black Beans (8%), Carrots (6%), Pea Starch, Salt, Natural Spices. (Suitable for Vegetarians, Vegans and Coeliacs)

I'd like to know how it's made and the processes.
    Please share your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Good post, TA, good points - but a small minority of us will support a vegan company over a corporation at every single opportunity, that's choice working.

Larger corporations a simply in the business of maximising profit, so their ingredients will almost always have dubious origins.

That's a fine choice too, those companies need support to grow too, I support both. Once something hits a critical mass it no longer needs vegan assistance also, 98% of people buying Beyond Meat are meat eaters for example (actual figure recorded by shops selling them).

Picked one up in my local dunnes. Not much left in the box in fairness. Must be selling quite well.

(Right beside the other Clonikility puddings)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

auspicious wrote: »
    Ingredients: Gluten Free Oatmeal, Onions (35%), Water, Black Beans (8%), Carrots (6%), Pea Starch, Salt, Natural Spices. (Suitable for Vegetarians, Vegans and Coeliacs)

Sounds easy enough to make at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've gotten it in Tesco and Supervalu, maybe Dunne's as well. In the chilled veggie section plus I've heard it can be with the "normal" black & white pudding.

auspicious wrote: »

Sounds easy enough to make at home!

Might be worth a shot, with the % shown, they've given most of the quantities or at least min/max ranges... the spices might take a bit of tweaking.

Gluten Free Oatmeal (35-43%)
    Onions (35%)
    Water (8-16%)
    Black Beans (8%)
    Carrots (6%)
    Pea Starch (<6%)
    Salt
    Natural Spices

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Excellent post Tar.

Wish I could articulate my hopes/frustrations like that.

I would strongly agree with that ....

Aggressive / negative posting never makes for a good discussion.

As for the veggie pudding - I believe it was in the local Tesco?

Just checked - they have the same listed

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304956210

;)

Advertisement