If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp for Q Acoustics 3050

• 25-04-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi John, Kenny and lads.

I bought a pair of 3050s just after xmas. I also bought a pair of 3020s last year.

They are used in different systems for music, radio and TV listening.

Both sets are powered by Sony TA-F940R amps from the QS range produced in the 90s.

I am still amazed each time I turn on the 3020 system.

The 30502swere a bit harsh but have come right in the last few weeks.

My question is could I do better than the Sony amp with the 3050s ?They may not be reacing their full pontential.

Im not sure of the staff age profile, Some probably havent even heard of the QS range.

Apologies John but I think you should remember them.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Phoenix,

'Apologies John but I think you should remember them.'

..I may have to ask @the Ritz to ban you for that slur :D

and yep, unfortunately I really do well remember the 940's ( and so will Kenny and a few of the other guys, although they will all deny it!)

The 940 was a classic and built like a brick - and to be honest it is well suited to the 3020/50 as they were quite 'forward' whilst the QA's can be quite Bassy so the balance will work - however they are almost 20 years old now and the QA's are capable of more if you partner them with a good contemporary amp - however you will have to spend a bit to get a big improvement.

If it was me I would recommend something like the REGA Brio - it has an awful feature count but sounds pretty amazing:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13032-rega-brio-r-amplifier-black-integrated-amplifier.aspx

Better again ( but unfortunately currently out of stock :( ) the Cyrus One - another stunning sounding amp:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202935-cyrus-one-starter-kit-stereo-amplifier.aspx

If you wanted something slightly more conventional then Yamaha have a great Stereo receiver - amazing power and unlike the REGA and Cyrus it has some great smart features:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203489-yamaha-rn803d-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

On balance given that you use the 940 I would probably go for the Yamaha, it has a similar sound balance to the Sonys - just oodles more power and control and of course it will drag you into 2019 with the excellent smart features ( ..and its the cheapest option which helps!)

Interesting question, thanks for it and of course drop us a line if we can assist in any way and of course we have these all available for demo if you are ever local..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Phoenix,

and yep, unfortunately I really do well remember the 940's ( and so will Kenny and a few of the other guys, although they will all deny it!)

The 940 was a classic and built like a brick - and to be honest it is well suited to the 3020/50 as they were quite 'forward' whilst the QA's can be quite Bassy so the balance will work - however they are almost 20 years old now and the QA's are capable of more if you partner them with a good contemporary amp - however you will have to spend a bit to get a big improvement.

If it was me I would recommend something like the REGA Brio - it has an awful feature count but sounds pretty amazing:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13032-rega-brio-r-amplifier-black-integrated-amplifier.aspx

Better again ( but unfortunately currently out of stock :( ) the Cyrus One - another stunning sounding amp:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202935-cyrus-one-starter-kit-stereo-amplifier.aspx

If you wanted something slightly more conventional then Yamaha have a great Stereo receiver - amazing power and unlike the REGA and Cyrus it has some great smart features:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203489-yamaha-rn803d-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

On balance given that you use the 940 I would probably go for the Yamaha, it has a similar sound balance to the Sonys - just oodles more power and control and of course it will drag you into 2019 with the excellent smart features ( ..and its the cheapest option which helps!)

Interesting question, thanks for it and of course drop us a line if we can assist in any way and of course we have these all available for demo if you are ever local..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John,
    Thanks a million for all the info.It was most helpful.I will be in touch in the next few weeks to purchase one of them.Ill probably make a trip up.I will of course let you know in advance. P3

• Company Representative Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Phoenix,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John,
    Thanks a million for all the info.It was most helpful.I will be in touch in the next few weeks to purchase one of them.Ill probably make a trip up.I will of course let you know in advance. P3
    No problem, keep us posted!

Hello Folks.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

I am now ready to move along on this litle project.

I am leaning towards the Yamaha amp because of the extra features.

I would also like to ad a Q Acoustics 3070 sub in graphite and a cable about 20 feet long for same.

Finally I will need a Cambridge Audio Minz 200 sub in black for another one of my silly projects.

Do you have all items in stock and can you give me your best price.

Thanks

Phoenix3

• Company Representative Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hello Folks.

I would also like to ad a Q Acoustics 3070 sub in graphite and a cable about 20 feet long for same.

Finally I will need a Cambridge Audio Minz 200 sub in black for another one of my silly projects.

Thanks

Phoenix3
    Hi Phoenix3,

The best price I can do on all of those would be:

Yamaha RN803
    Q Acoustics 3070 graph
    Cambridge Minx 200 blk
    Cambridge 100 7.5 meter sublink cable
    Total: 1217.99 euro including shipping

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hello Folks.

Thanks

Phoenix3
    Hi Phoenix3,

Yamaha RN803
    Q Acoustics 3070 graph
    Cambridge Minx 200 blk

Kind regards

David
    Folks,
    At long last I am ready to go on this.Apologies for delay due to family illness.

I am going to skip on the minx sub and go with the other3 items please.

Can you confirm they are still in stock? Can I collect on Wed/Thur. of this week?

Finally your besties price in Euros please.

Thanks as always 

P3

• Company Representative Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hello Folks.

Thanks

Phoenix3
    Hi Phoenix3,

Yamaha RN803
    Q Acoustics 3070 graph
    Cambridge Minx 200 blk

Kind regards

David
    Folks,
    At long last I am ready to go on this.Apologies for delay due to family illness.

I am going to skip on the minx sub and go with the other3 items please.

Can you confirm they are still in stock? Can I collect on Wed/Thur. of this week?

Finally your besties price in Euros please.

Thanks as always 

P3
    Hi P3.

Thanks for coming back to us.

If you leave out the Minx200 the total for the RN803, 3070 sub and sublink would be 868.00 Euro.

All items are in stock and if you drop me your full name and address in a PM I can have them reserved on our system for you to collect next week.

Kenny,
    Many thanks for arranging that deal.Before I travel up, I have a question. This query started as an upgrade to a Sony QS amp upgrade.I am also using a Sony qs cd at the moment. The model is CDP-XB930E .It is the model with the stabilising that sits on the cd.
    Do you consider this a competent player for the system I am building? Would the marantz 6006 offer a significant improvement or any thing else?
    Thanks P3

Kenny,
    Many thanks for arranging that deal.Before I travel up, I have a question. This query started as an upgrade to a Sony QS amp upgrade.I am also using a Sony qs cd at the moment. The model is CDP-XB930E .It is the model with the stabilising that sits on the cd.
    Do you consider this a competent player for the system I am building? Would the marantz 6006 offer a significant improvement or any thing else?
    Thanks P3

Hi Phonenix,

thanks again for the posts - again I do remember those Sony components and whilst they revealed great detail they could be somewhat harsh and I do think that an upgrade to the Marantz CD6006 would help - however if it was me and you were adding a sub AND most importantly changing your amp then I would probably recommend that you change one major component at a time so you can see where the improvements are coming from - ie if you change amp and CD at the same time it's hard to determine what has changed the sound balance.

The upgrade to the Yamaha RN803 will bring you  significant improvement and it will of course work with your legacy Sony CD - I would try this combo first then look at upgrading to the Marantz or do have a look at the Onkyo C7030 which I think is a really under rated CD player:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12460-onkyo-c7030-cd-black-cd-player.aspx

You could also look at the Cambridge CXC - this is a bit of a weird option as it is not a full CD player, rather a CD Transport so it would use the D/A converters in your RN803 which are top-quality and far ahead of what you woudl find in most budget CD players:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201326-cambridge-cxc-black-black-cd-transport.aspx

The CXC really does sound well and of course you are not paying for duplicated D/A converters - all the money goes into a decent transport!

If you are travelling up just drop us a line and we will have it all set-up for you.

If you would like us to re-quote based on any of the above just drop me a line and we will look after that for you asap,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

John.
    Thanks for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply.
    I love the idea of the cxc being just a transport. I'll go with that option, so please add that to my order.Of course if you can sharpen your pencil on the price even better. I expect to be with you at 12 noon on Wed.If a demo is too much hassle, no problem. Can you give me a bottom one I Euros please.
    Thanks a million
    P3

John.
    Thanks for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply.
    I love the idea of the cxc being just a transport. I'll go with that option, so please add that to my order.Of course if you can sharpen your pencil on the price even  better. I expect to be with you at 12 noon on Wed.If a demo is too much hassle, no problem.  Can you give me a bottom one I Euros please.
    Thanks a million
    P3
    Hi Phoenix3.

To add the CXC the best I could offer it for 289.00 Euro. The current 299 Euro price on this is a cracking deal as it retails at £299 sterling so its Euro for Pound on this one.
    Total would then be 1157 Euro.
    I already have the original bits reserved for you let me know if you do want to add the CXC to it.

No problem setting the RN803 up for you to listen to but as I only have one in stock I would have to open the one you are purchasing.
    I have an open box pair of 3050 that I could connect to it and a display 3070.

Let us know if you would like to demo it so we cna have it setup for you arriving.

Thanks Kenny.
    I'll go with that so add it to order please. If it's not too much bother I'd love a demo as I might learn something from you're set up.On having to open the Yamaha, I would have thought it only fair that I take the one that you open up for me, so certainly no problem there. I'll be up on Wed close to noon.Cant wait only 2 more sleeps.
    See you then. Thanks again.

Thanks Kenny.
    I'll go with that so add it to order please. If it's not too much bother I'd love a demo as I might learn something from you're set up.On having to open the Yamaha, I would have thought it only fair that I take the one that you open up for me, so certainly no problem there. I'll be up on Wed close to noon.Cant wait only 2 more sleeps.
    See you then. Thanks again.
    No problem at all Phoenix3.

I have now set the CXC to the side for you also.

I'll have the system set up for you arriving and will even have the kettle on to make you a wee cuppa :)

..Beware his coffee, its poison...)

In fairness he can't be a good salesman, a Wi-Fi nerd and a barista all rolled into one.I promise that any review I leave wont mention the coffee.
    Thanks as always lads.

In fairness he can't be a good salesman, a Wi-Fi nerd and a barista all rolled into one.I promise that any review I leave wont mention the coffee.
    Thanks as always lads.
    You left out my striking good looks ;)

..well 1 out of 3 isn't bad :P

Lads thanks so much for your help. System is absolutely stunning .It was an education indeed to have the demo setup.Mrs Phoenix is even happy.
    Level of service and overall professional atmosphere in shop should make you all very proud.
    P3

Lads thanks so much for your help. System is absolutely stunning .It was an education indeed to have the demo setup.Mrs Phoenix is even happy.
    Level of service and overall professional atmosphere in shop should make you all  very proud.
    P3
    Excellent News Phoenix3 :D

I think it was George who setup the demo up for you as it was my day off yesterday.

Its always good to hear that you enjoyed your in-store experience, we always like to have our customers call and visit the store.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

Following my success with the Yamaha 802 amp, I am looking at the RN602 amp for another project.

Can you give me you best price for same?

If my memory serves me correctly, you had 1 on display instore.

If there is an open box or demo model available,I would be interested.

Regards P3

Hi Folks

Following my success with the Yamaha 802 amp, I am looking at the RN602 amp for another project.

Regards P3
    Hey P3.

Thanks for coming back to us again.

We have sold our demo one at some point and currently don't have another one on display. No open box ones either unfortunately.
    You very rarely get someone returning one of these.

They are currently priced at £359 - I could drop to £325 delivered.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201953-yamaha-rn602-black-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx?swapstore=1

Let me know what you think.

Hi Folks

Regards P3
    Hey P3.

We have sold our demo one at some point and currently don't have another one on display. No open box ones either unfortunately.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201953-yamaha-rn602-black-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx?swapstore=1

Thanks Kenny.
    Can I just check if you have any cambridge audio cxc transport as open box or demo model available and how much?

Hi Folks

Regards P3
    Hey P3.

Thanks Kenny.
    Can I just check if you have any cambridge audio cxc transport as open box or demo model available and how much?
    Hi P3.

We do have a demo CXC but we can not sell it as its still a current line and we would then need to open another one to put on display for demo.

The CXC in black is currently priced at £299 but I could offer one to you for £265 delivered.

Thanks Kenny 
    Let me sort.my finances and I'll be in touch.

Thanks Kenny 
    No problem at all P3.

Let me know when your ready :)

Thanks Kenny 
    No problem at all P3.

Kenny
    Can I go ahead with the yamaha amp please.

Thanks Kenny 
    No problem at all P3.

Kenny
    Can I go ahead with the yamaha amp please.
    Hey P3.

Drop me you little contact number in a PM and we'll drop you a call :)

I dropped you a msg earlier.let me know if you don't have
    It

• Advertisement

I dropped you a msg earlier.let me know if you don't have
    It
    Cheers P3.

Will call you ASAP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.