Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I wonder will the shinners continue to call for mortgage breaks and deferrals. They love spending other peoples money and never see the big picture and the damage they are doing with their blabbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dont have a mortgage. Was recently in the process of moving my day to day banking to KBC, but they wouldnt accept my passport card. Never finalised the process. Will look at using N26 for the majority of stuff now.
    I read on here about some peolpe having issues with N26 ibans - https://support.n26.com/en-eu/payments-transfers-and-withdrawals/direct-debits-and-standing-orders/what-to-do-if-my-n26-iban-is-not-accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Do I have to roll my KBC mortgage over to BOI or can I move it to Avant now without any break fees? I'm about 3 years into a 10 year fixed term.

Nothings happened yet, move and you will be charged the breaking fee. Even if and when the book is sold to BOI your mortgage will go with it and if you transfer to avant you will be charged whatever BOIs breaking fee is.

feargantae wrote: »
    Fair enough to a degree but for them to come along and go out of their way to assure customers they're committed to this market and then just do something like this barely 4 months later.... It's just such a bank thing to do!!

Shops sell gift vouchers right up to the minute they go out of business, despite knowing they're in financial straights - it's just life unfortunately and all businesses do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So looks like N26 is the place to go, they dont do joint accounts though their N26 Smart account offers an extra card for a one off fee which pretty much accomplishes that. I wonder if you can go to the "smart" account, get the extra card and then downgrade to the free account? Nothing in the smart account makes me want to fork out €4.90 a month for it at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I wonder will the shinners continue to call for mortgage breaks and deferrals. They love spending other peoples money and never see the big picture and the damage they are doing with their blabbering.

Of course they will - now they can just blame the gov for loss of competition in the banking sector.

Oh well. Higher mortgage rates ahead.

cms88 wrote: »
    Ireland also has a huge rate of non payment of mortgages as well yet the Irish consumer ha no issues with that.

I have an issue with that. So do most people I know. I think there should be much more evictions and repossessions for non-payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

Supercell wrote: »
    So looks like N26 is the place to go, they dont do joint accounts though their N26 Smart account offers an extra card for a one off fee which pretty much accomplishes that. I wonder if you can go to the "smart" account, get the extra card and then downgrade to the free account? Nothing in the smart account makes me want to fork out €4.90 a month for it at all.
    It's a 12 month contract. Same with Revolut and their premium banking offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭PommieBast

We need a europe-wide lending market. Mortgages rates will get out of control.
    Think there already is a nascent one, but bank in other EU countries simply refuse to lend for Irish residential property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You're wrong!!! Stop paraphrasing bonkers.ie as a source!

As per revolut "A few weeks ago, we let you know that we would move our EU Revolut customers to our European entity in Lithuania (“Revolut Payments UAB”). Today we have officially made the switch".

Also from Revolut " If you are registered to the Revolut Bank UAB and Revolut Payments UAB entity:

Almost all deposits with Revolut Bank UAB are insured by the Lithuanian State Company “Deposit and Investment Insurance” (VĮ “Indėlių ir investicijų draudimas”). This means that if an insured deposit is not returned as a result of an inability of Revolut Bank UAB to fulfil its financial obligations, the Lithuanian State Company “Deposit and Investment Insurance” shall pay the deposit insurance compensation for deposits to the depositors. The maximum amount of insurance compensation for deposits with Revolut Bank UAB for a single depositor is EUR 100,000. The amount of deposit insurance compensation is determined by aggregating all the deposits held with Revolut Bank UAB. Please note that certain deposits are not insured. More details regarding deposit insurance are available here."

Any link you can share to back your statement?

This one from March doesn’t include Ireland in the markets covered by Revolut Bank (the entity which has the banking licence). And I couldn’t find anything newer.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/03/revolut-lets-customers-switch-to-revolut-bank-in-10-additional-countries/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

You would think our politicians might implement reforms on that point. But getting people out of houses, even if they're not paying for them, is just political suicide in Ireland. Expect absolutely nothing to be done on that point.

Eventually international finance says we can't do business in this market, there isn't enough return for the risk, the Irish authorities put strategic defaulters ahead of the common good. How many votes are in that. Not that many I'd think you'll find, but plough on.

PommieBast wrote: »
    Think there already is a nascent one, but bank in other EU countries simply refuse to lend for Irish residential property.

You're correct. Didn't know that. The protections need to be reduced then, to allow repossessions for non-payment, to reduce the risk for lenders and help responsible borrowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

godtabh wrote: »
    The consequence of not been able to call in loans if people default

Pat Kenny just brought this up with Paschal Donohoe who BS'd the answer of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is a disaster for Irish Consumers. We already have the highest mortgage rates in Europe. We need a europe-wide lending market. Mortgages rates will get out of control. Think the car insurance racket on steroids. Interest rates are at an all time low. Don't envy young people with large mortgages over the next few decades.

Ireland is a dysfunctional mortgage market. People can go years and years without paying their mortgage and the lender can't get any legal satisfaction with repossession proceedings taking years and years.

There is nothing to stop a European lender setting up shop in the morning in Ireland but why would they bother: the legal and regulatory framework here in Ireland is dysfunctional and presents large barriers to entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Bob24 wrote: »
    Any link you can share to back your statement?

This one from March doesn’t include Ireland in the markets covered by Revolut Bank (the entity which has the banking licence). And I couldn’t find anything newer.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/03/revolut-lets-customers-switch-to-revolut-bank-in-10-additional-countries/

Revolut terms and conditions? As an e money institution the client deposits are safeguarded in credit institutions which are covered by the depositary guarantee scheme. This now seems to be the official revolut bank that holds the deposit.

Just because Revolut Bank aren't offering credit services here does not mean your deposit is not protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

sebdavis wrote: »
    Avant is offering cash back, or it did when I signed up, I get 10 a month once I spend so much, I moved from KBC credit card to them, think they had a better interest rate as well

Had a look there and they do but unfortunately dont support Google Pay which is a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This didn't happen overnight. It's been obvious for years. The minister of finance is scrambled to go out on the radio. Talk about after the horse is bolted.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ireland is a dysfunctional mortgage market. People can go years and years without paying their mortgage and the lender can't get any legal satisfaction with repossession proceedings taking years and years.

There is nothing to stop a European lender setting up shop in the morning in Ireland but why would they bother: the legal and regulatory framework here in Ireland is dysfunctional and presents large barriers to entry.

Correct I didn't know that, thanks. We need to make it easier to reposses houses for non-payment , to encourage lenders to enter the market and protect responsible borrowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

This didn't happen overnight. It's been obvious for years.The minister of finance is scrambled to go out on the radio. Talk about after the horse is bolted.

What has been obvious for years?

PommieBast wrote: »

To expend on this, it is not as much that they don’t want to lend for Irish residential property, but more that they don’t want to accept the property itself as a collateral for the mortgage (due to they fact that a foreign bank pretty much has zero chance of repossessing an Irish house in an cost effective manner in case the loan stops performing).

But I have heard of people who did get foreign loans for the purpose of buying an Irish property by providing an alternative collateral which was satisfactory for the bank (I.e. a German bank might be happy to extend a mortgage to purchase an Irish property if the borrower is posting a German property of sufficient value as a collateral for the loan).

• Advertisement

Correct I didn't know that, thanks. We need to make it easier to reposses houses for non-payment , to encourage lenders to enter the market and protect responsible borrowers.

No politician is going to propose making it easier for banks to repossess and enforce their mortgages. It's a toxic proposition for any government to tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

According to a recent article in Money guide Ireland, Revolut does not have a banking guarantee in Ireland.

Why? Because it doesn't have a banking licence in Ireland.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/n26-compared-revolut.html

N26 does have a guarantee in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

adox wrote: »
    Had a look there and they do but unfortunately dont support Google Pay which is a deal breaker for me.

Link it up to a Curve card, I’ve mine linked up for Apple Pay.

To expend on this, it is not as much that they don’t want to lend for Irish residential property, but more that they don’t want to accept the property itself as a collateral for the mortgage (due to they fact that a foreign bank pretty much has zero chance of repossessing an Irish house in an cost effective manner in case the loan stops performing).

But I have heard of people who did get foreign loans for the purpose of buying an Irish property by providing an alternative collateral which was satisfactory for the bank (I.e. a German bank might be happy to extend a mortgage to purchase an Irish property if the borrower is posting a German property of sufficient value as a collateral for the loan).

In fairness that applies in a very narrow set of circumstances. The vast majority of mortgages in Ireland are secured on an Irish residential property. Very few people in Ireland have a foreign unencumbered property to put up as security.

Interesting. First-time buyers should just put up one of their overseas properties as collateral so. Easy. /s*

*Taking the piss out of the current market situation, not you. Thanks for that info.

Revolut terms and conditions? As an e money institution the client deposits are safeguarded in credit institutions which are covered by the depositary guarantee scheme. This now seems to be the official revolut bank that holds the deposit.

Just because Revolut Bank aren't offering credit services here does not mean your deposit is not protected.

Yeah it is exactly what I was saying that they are using an emoney licence to do business here as opposed to their banking licence.

As I sais, it means that as a customer you are not covered by the Lithuanian (nor the Irish) deposit guarantee scheme.

In fairness that applies in a very narrow set of circumstances. The vast majority of mortgages in Ireland are secured on an Irish residential property. Very few people in Ireland have a foreign unencumbered property to put up as security.

Very few people in Ireland have a mortgage from a foreign lender full stop. I think that was his point - outlining the reason for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This is a disaster for Irish Consumers. We already have the highest mortgage rates in Europe. We need a europe-wide lending market. Mortgages rates will get out of control. Think the car insurance racket on steroids. Interest rates are at an all time low. Don't envy young people with large mortgages over the next few decades.

Banks don't want to lend into Ireland, that's the problem. A Europe-wide lending market won't change that, unless it's also European courts that decide when properties get repossessed when mortgages don't get paid. That won't happen because Irish people wouldn't have it.

Other EU citizens won't want to take on the higher capital and reserve requirements associated with lending in Ireland either (as a result of the above). So a Europe-wide lending market isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Yeah it is exactly what I was saying that they are using an emoney licence to do business here as opposed to their banking licence.

As I sais, it means that as a customer you are not covered by a national by the Lithuanian (not Irish) deposit guarantee scheme.

I give up... Google EU Passporting?

• Advertisement

Yes fully agree. Very few people would be able to avail of this.

I guess my point was that the real problem technically isn’t that foreign banks don’t want to extend mortgages for Irish properties. It is more that our legal framework is too much of a minefield for them to accept Irish property as a loan collateral.

Advertisement