Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To go coffee shop start up advice

Options
  • 14-04-2021 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am at the earliest stage of thinking about opening my own takeaway coffee shop that serves sandwiches/treats.

I have a lot of experience in the hospitality industy and I am currently a general manager in a busy gastropub, but I have always wanted to start my own business and work for myself.

I am looking for any bit of positive advice I can get from you guys from setting up a business, to where to get shop fronts done, furnishings, counters, great coffee beans but especially the following points

Grants available from the government

Taxes

License to serve food

Good pos systems

Again, Any advice you have that could help would be great. I've read some posts that were filled with negativity so please leave that out. I'm only running off an idea.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Pretty much everything related to opening a coffee shop is covered superbly here:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057278302/1

It's probably one of the great success stories here taking it all the way from the original post similar to yours through to a catch up a couple of years after opening. Obviously we live in a different world now but it's a good place to start.

Like most people looks like your best option is an LEO start your own business course as that will cover things like licensing and taxes and all the basics. You'll do better if you ask very specific questions here for example are you preparing food or getting prepared food in? Hot or cold? Makes it a lot easier for people to give answers if you ask what you really need to know thats one thing that frustrates people as often times people come here for all the answers. If someone comes in here and gets a little negativity and can't handle it then probably best they don't take things any further as the business will probably crush them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greysloan

Hi OP,

A very interesting idea but one that will take loads of work to see through.

As in the thread posted above the, it took the OP up to 2/3 years to actually open up so be prepared for the work and time it takes.

Definitely look to your LEO and get a start your own business course done, that will help you with advise such taxes and grants etc.

With furnishings, store fronts, fit outs etc this will depend on where you are and what you can afford. Some companies offer a whole package for all of these but of course costs can run into the thousands. Some start ups will do the majority of it themselves.

If you're working in a gastropub, I'm sure you have the basics food safety courses covered but consider doing a refresh course in Haccp with a view of opening your own place. As said above with food licensing, it will come down to what food you plan to make/prepare on site. Best thing to do here is to contact your Local EHO in the HSE and they'll be able to provide the correct information. They will also be able to give advise on the shop fitout, ie hand wash basins, stainless steel worktops etc.

As with good pos systems and coffee beans I think that comes down to personal preference and what you can afford. The best thing to do here is to research (google is your best friend)and contact the companies yourself to see what's right for you.

Best of Luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

On the negative side there are no grants.

But most pos systems are ideal for coffee shops. Icr touch by comcal systems are very good and used by many pubs and cafes.

Furniture and equipment. Auction exchange in ballymount is good.

Good coffee beans. - so many options. But java Republic will have a package that includes machine rental.

There's no 'license' to serve food, but the premises has to have the right planning and you also have to register it with the HSE https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/opening-a-new-food-business/

In the example thread, that person put a massive amount of work into it and brought in expertise for all aspects. In reality he's a superb business person as he let others with more experience do the food and coffee elements to make the overall business succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would strongly suggest you put time into learning as much as you can about accounting for your business. You need a full grasp of the VAT and the payroll. You will really benefit if you understand how credit can work to the benefit of your business.

Honestly, starting out, presumably with limited cash, the way to get the best on stuff you mention like furniture, ingredients and so on, you need to build and work through your own personal contacts. It's great to get advice and suggestions on the Internet, but you need connections to get the credit you probably need.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Hi I cannot access the thread I want to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Hi thanks it worked, just wondering is the cafe still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement