Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you need to have money to invest in your own company?

• 11-04-2021 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, might sound like a stupid question but my husband would like to go out on his own. He has a business plan and potential customers but he would need a loan of €80k to really get going. Is there any legal way he can get this money without us having any savings?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

RA girl wrote: »
    Hi, might sound like a stupid question but my husband would like to go out on his own. He has a business plan and potential customers but he would need a loan of €80k to really get going. Is there any legal way he can get this money without us having any savings?

Thanks

Surely raising finance is part of his business plan? I'd honestly be worried if he hasn't any idea where to get money from for a business and you're resorting to using the word legal in your query. The world's biggest industry bar none is geared around lending money. If the plan is sound you'll get money.
    Apart from that, it's start small and build it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RA girl

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Surely raising finance is part of his business plan? I'd honestly be worried if he hasn't any idea where to get money from for a business and you're resorting to using the word legal in your query. The world's biggest industry bar none is geared around lending money. If the plan is sound you'll get money.
    Apart from that, it's start small and build it up.

Thanks for the reply. A business loan is his plan but do they not need you to have some money yourself? What I meant by legal was for example getting an ordinary personal loan and use it for the new business...I'm not sure if that is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Banks like to see something being put up by the borrower, and to minimise their exposure. Do you have equity on your home? He'll probably need to sign a personal guarantee on any loan using that equity if you do.

Really it boils down to what the €80k is needed for though, and he should check if any of that can be part funded through grants. Standard response I know, but first port of call should be LEO to get some help, and see if he can apply for grants - capital expenditure, employment etc and depending on the area of business other bodies like Bord Bia etc might have grants he can apply for. If he has 50% grant funding on equipment and is asking the bank to find the other 50% it's a much stronger proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Sounds risky.

How do you feel about the loan/business venture?

Tangled wrote: »
    Banks like to see something being put up by the borrower, and to minimise their exposure. Do you have equity on your home? He'll probably need to sign a personal guarantee on any loan using that equity if you do.

Really it boils down to what the €80k is needed for though, and he should check if any of that can be part funded through grants. Standard response I know, but first port of call should be LEO to get some help, and see if he can apply for grants - capital expenditure, employment etc and depending on the area of business other bodies like Bord Bia etc might have grants he can apply for. If he has 50% grant funding on equipment and is asking the bank to find the other 50% it's a much stronger proposal.

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Sounds risky.

How do you feel about the loan/business venture?

I'd love for him to fulfill his dream but thinking maybe now is not the time. Maybe we should save for a few years instead and then look into it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thanks for the reply. A business loan is his plan but do they not need you to have some money yourself? What I meant by legal was for example getting an ordinary personal loan and use it for the new business...I'm not sure if that is legal.
    Well you'd get better rates for business loans. There's nothing terribly wrong with starting with a loan but it needs to convince the bank. As others have said LEO really should be the first stop and they can provide details on other supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I'd love for him to fulfill his dream but thinking maybe now is not the time. Maybe we should save for a few years instead and then look into it. Thanks

That sounds like the prudent thing to do.

There are alternative ways to raise capital. Why not seek investors? Or find a partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So no plans to rob a bank then :D:D

I needed the exact same amount of money when I set up in 2008. I put in €30,000 of my money and got a €50,000 business development loan over 4 years for which the bank wanted a personal guarantee.

I would expect a similar scenario would still be possible if the business plan is sound.

You do need to look at a "worst case scenario" if the business did not go to plan and how easy it would be to return to paid employment and how much can you afford to gamble.

I'd also look at getting an accountant to look at the figures and provide advice and the viability of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I highly recommend doing a "start your own business" course, and chat to your LEO and see if he can get a mentoring session do discuss the business plan. Definitely needs some experienced external input before proceeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Personally I hate the thought of using a business loan to get started. Business is stressful enough without having to make repayments and when times get tough an €80k loan is going to be some weight to carry. Like a puppy, a loan isn't just for Christmas so be careful.

Make sure you look at grants with LEO, wage subsidy schemes, New Frontiers and CSF with Enterprise Ireland, maybe talk to investors (at the very least a good investor would give your idea a reality/sanity check).

Best of luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Thanks

What if nothing goes according to plan and you have borrowed money.
    Can you plan your worst case scenario?

Advertisement