Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faulty alternator

• 09-04-2021 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have a Kia Carens which I use as a second car to drive around a few fields I have. It's not taxed or insured and I don't want to spend money on it

The alternator is not charging the battery properly and every couple of weeks I have to charge the battery

Someone told me that if I keep recharging the battery the battery will become useless, is this tru and how many recharges would I get out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Car batteries aren't designed to completely discharge and recharge so yes, that will permanently damage the battery.
    If you want to keep the car running, the cheapest solution is to put a used alternator in it from a scrap yard. If you ask a Kia dealer, it could be the same part number as a more common car. Kia are generally very handy to work on if you're comfortable with a set of spanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

CianRyan wrote: »
    Car batteries aren't designed to completely discharge and recharge so yes, that will permanently damage the battery.
    If you want to keep the car running, the cheapest solution is to put a used alternator in it from a scrap yard. If you ask a Kia dealer, it could be the same part number as a more common car. Kia are generally very handy to work on if you're comfortable with a set of spanners.

I cant locate one, tried all scrap yard, they dont have a 2004 kia carens 1.8 petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you charge it after every use rather than wait for it to go flat, the battery will last longer.

Advertisement