Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginner bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yes straight for A is the smart move even if your not going to get an A bike (like what I did)

Go for the A licence. Just be aware that if you don’t buy an A bike, then you’d need to hire one for the test.

Most instructors have school bikes that they’d hire out but remember to allow for the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Exactly, go for the A. Then after the IBT you'll have a better idea if you want to get an A or A2 and what type of bike you'd like. I'd be surprised if you wanted a 400 after doing the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

zubair wrote: »
    Exactly, go for the A. Then after the IBT you'll have a better idea if you want to get an A or A2 and what type of bike you'd like. I'd be surprised if you wanted a 400 after doing the training.

Yeah honestly,

After reading and looking at XSR7 I kind of like that, I just don't like the diecast wheels I prefer spoked rims. But that's only minor gripe!

Tho I was going to do some course's on advanced riding once I'm up and running and do my best to learn as much as I can about riding as feel it would be super beneficial.

But I need to look at getting a lid I might actually start looking at stuff like that, Since I'm going to be waiting awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Yeah honestly,

After reading and looking at XSR7 I kind of like that, I just don't like the diecast wheels I prefer spoked rims. But that's only minor gripe!

Tho I was going to do some course's on advanced riding once I'm up and running and do my best to learn as much as I can about riding as feel it would be super beneficial.

But I need to look at getting a lid I might actually start looking at stuff like that, Since I'm going to be waiting awhile.

A lid!

Next thing you'll be complaining about cagers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Yeah honestly,

Yeah start picking up a few bits as you go along instead of trying to buy everything in one shot
    A lid you really need to go try one on
    Expect to pay about 2 to €300 somewhere middle of the road
    Next would be a jacket I went for textile
    Boots and gloves i would be looking at summer type gloves as it is getting a little warmer now and the winter gloves can be a little stiff and awkward when starting out

• Advertisement

A lid!

Next thing you'll be complaining about cagers :pac:

I'm a noob your going to explain that one to me :pac:

Yeah start picking up a few bits as you go along instead of trying to buy everything in one shot
    A lid you really need to go try one on
    Expect to pay about 2 to €300 somewhere middle of the road
    Next would be a jacket I went for textile
    Boots and gloves i would be looking at summer type gloves as it is getting a little warmer now and the winter gloves can be a little stiff and awkward when starting out

I have a pretty decnet Akito jacket with shoulder pads and elbow pads it needs the back pad, but I did spend an awful lot of time on bikes working as a photographer I had a helmet but it was trash and I wanted something that fit a lot better.

What brands do you recommend?

I got a HJC I 90 but I find it noisy as it is a flip top
    In my old age I was feeling a little claustrophobic

So recently I have been eyeing up what is supposed to be the quietest helmet Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet

Agv k3, can be got for about 150 online. If you've owned a lid before you probably have an idea of your size already. The reason I said the k3 is it seems to suit most head shapes and has a 4 star sharp rating (here come the skeptics lol), there's a sun visor option as well. But try on for fit if you can.

A standalone back protector can be got for about 60 to 90 bucks, forcefield are good, cheap and are multi impact so can be used again if you have a spill, the standalone protectors offer more coverage than an insert.

I got a HJC I 90 but I find it noisy as it is a flip top
    In my old age I was feeling a little claustrophobic

So recently I have been eyeing up what is supposed to be the quietest helmet Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet

I never felt claustrophobic in a lid until I got a flip front, now I can't go back. Lol

• Advertisement

I never felt claustrophobic in a lid until I got a flip front, now I can't go back. Lol

I've been considering one for ages. Always come to the "but what IF it opens in a crash?" and then I'm back to full faces :D

I've been considering one for ages. Always come to the "but what IF it opens in a crash?" and then I'm back to full faces :D

Ye I get that. You can check the % of times the face opened during testing on the sharp test. I remember my current lid had a good score.

They're very convenient I have to say, can wander around tesco and you don't have to take it off.

So I went away and watched as much content for beginners on you tube trying to get my head around what I should do in terms of getting my safety gear also my first bike.

I came across this video here, Just wondering what you fine folks make of it, I don't mind investing in gear, I like running so I'd be more then happy to buy a better pair of boots and better upper body protection. then what I have currently!

here's the video

I was looking at bikes going to go with jimmys suggestion of getting something I can drop be clumsy with and get hours on the road. maybe 6 months riding time I'll start looking at a better bike.

Go for my A license and get the ITB training done and the theory test, do they make exemptions for people who are dyslexic? :pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

I watched the same video and was surprised that he basically said jacket and trousers were the area you could afford to skimp on, I never realised boots were so important. Now, that may just be their opinion of course and I'm sure the lads here can advise us newbies better, plus we'll get even more info at the IBT.

Personally I intend buying the best gear I can from the jump. Equally, I'm not made of money and my commute is less than 5km. I'm trying to budget €1000 for gear and my plan is to visit Cotters and BikeWorld to see where that'll get me. I know it will cost a bit more than going online for it all, but I'd like to make sure everything fits as it should.

Check out XLMoto and have a look through their gear, you'll be able to see reviews of stuff and if there's something you like in your price range just pop it into Reddit or YouTube to find some more opinions on it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

dragx wrote: »
    I watched the same video and was surprised that he basically said jacket and trousers were the area you could afford to skimp on, I never realised boots were so important. Now, that may just be their opinion of course and I'm sure the lads here can advise us newbies better, plus we'll get even more info at the IBT.

Personally I intend buying the best gear I can from the jump. Equally, I'm not made of money and my commute is less than 5km. I'm trying to budget €1000 for gear and my plan is to visit Cotters and BikeWorld to see where that'll get me. I know it will cost a bit more than going online for it all, but I'd like to make sure everything fits as it should.

Check out XLMoto and have a look through their gear, you'll be able to see reviews of stuff and if there's something you like in your price range just pop it into Reddit or YouTube to find some more opinions on it! :)

With boots you ideally want something with ankle protection, I've torn my ankle ligaments up both in and out of boots. Damage was worse without them though.
    Decent jacket and pants because sliding is 0 craic. I've still got the gloves I slid with in regular use there's some marks and it's obvious they took some damage but are basically perfect and only cost €50.
    Gear sizing is weird and there are variances in manufacturers size guides and actual fits.

€1000 for gear should get you all you need.

Helmet should be about €200-300.
    Jacket €150-250.
    Pants €100-200
    Boots €100-200
    Gloves €50-150

You can also benefit from other's misfortune or disinterest. People sell bike gear if they get bored, or can't afford the bike. Check Adverts.ie, DoneDeal and Facebook Marketplace. You might find some good brand name gear for a very reduced price; personally I wouldn't buy a helmet second hand and I'd avoid anything that looked like it had seen a bad crash or slide, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. I sold an entire set of beginner textiles a while ago for the sum of €100.

For anyone reading who thinks "ah feck it, I'll chance it," or "Sure me runners / jeans are grand," or similar, I always do a simple test.

Take your hand and place the palm or knuckles directly onto a road where you'd ride your bike. Apply pressure. Start vigorously sliding your skin across the road as fast as you can. Stop when you hit bone. It won't take too long.
    Same with boots. Take off your runner or shoe. Grab the toe in one hand, and the heel in the other. Now press your hands together. Now imagine your own foot in that shoe.

That's your entire body when not geared up.

Textiles are a better choice starting off. Try get a set (or individually) that has layers which you can add or remove depending on weather; Obvious waterproof or water resistant is desirable in Irish weather! Thermal lining is great for all seasons apart from Summer.

Try get protection is as many (or all) of the following as you can: Back, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees. I find D3O pads are superb for being light, flexible and with great protection.

Boots, ankle protection is key. I used to wear ankle height boots. I switched to under knee height and feel safer for it.

Also worth throwing a few quid at a neck warmer or balaclava for colder weather, if you stick to biking.

Make sure it fits COMFORTABLY, and remember that you may want the option of a hoody or layers under a jacket, so to leave breathing room for that. Similar with sock thickness in boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

Great info lads cheers.
    For anyone reading who thinks "ah feck it, I'll chance it," or "Sure me runners / jeans are grand"

Was discussing my plans with a friend, and mentioned how the short commute made it so easy to justify a bike over the car.

"You know you'd just get away with normal jeans and runners, you're hardly gonna come off the bike when the whole commute is 50-60 zones and you'll save a fortune."

Chap has never even driven a car, but he knows his road safety. :rolleyes:

Great info lads cheers.

Was discussing my plans with a friend, and mentioned how the short commute made it so easy to justify a bike over the car.

"You know you'd just get away with normal jeans and runners, you're hardly gonna come off the bike when the whole commute is 50-60 zones and you'll save a fortune."

You can tell him all my accidents bar one was in a 50 or 60 zone.

Have to agree with the previous advice recommending textiles, 4 seasons gear with removable liners. you can get leathers later.

Honestly though 1k on gear starting out is way more than you need to pay imo. Everything you need can be got for about 100 if you buy budget gear. Sure it won't have all the bells and whistles but it will be equally safe, gear just starts to get expensive when comfort features are added and the longevity of the gear is better. It's your first jacket, lid etc, you don't really know what features you want from anything yet. If it was me I'd go budget now and replace with better gear later when you have a better idea of what you want or need from the item you're replacing.

I usually use sportsbikeshop as a reference for reviews. The ride recommended label on anything is a good sign too, a lot of sites highlight the magazines recommendation on gear now.

Sounds like my X-Wife :pac::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In fairness in most European countries it's normal for lots of people to ride a scooter in a 50/60 zone in everyday clothing. Riding a scooter or bike is normal and common enough so car drivers have to look out for you. Not so here and the government have been doing their best for decades to make riding any sort of bike as unattractive and unpopular as possible.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I found a light neck warmer, must have picked it up in Lidl along the way (prob not right name for it). Its grand in that it bridges between top of jacket and bottom of helmet (I leave the top edge of it just under my lip so no gaps) but its so light there isn't much warmth, so I've taken to putting a light thinsulate cap under it and it works well.

Also had to put a thin woolly glove under right leather glove, fingers getting frozen - must be all that throttle wide open ...:P

Also using earplugs but trying to get into rev matching and doesn't help that everything is so muffled - & when paying for petrol am hoping no odd questions (I've a flip helmet so I leave it on, just flip up - its handy for that).

Only other observation is don't open up the throttle when your back wheel is on the grassy bit in the middle of the road.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

When I was starting out a few years ago I went into cotters in ballymount and got full kit, richa gloves,boots, jacket and pants & a shark helmet for 700 quid.

Recently bought some kit from Dublin leathers. Seem decent quality. Jacket and pants for 270 quid. They were also really helpful over the phone to make sure the fit was spot on. Didn't want to spend big money on kit I couldn't try on. I was surprised by the quality for the price.

No excuse for not having proper gear at that price. And make sure it fits right. Ill fitting motorcycle gear (big or small) is horrible.

Betsy Og wrote: »

Also had to put a thin woolly glove under right leather glove, fingers getting frozen - must be all that throttle wide open ...:P

should prob get yourself some heated grips
    Oxford ones are grand you can connect directly to the battery and they switch themselves off when there is no power
    Toasty :-) don't know how I did without them

should prob get yourself some heated grips
    Oxford ones are grand you can connect directly to the battery and they switch themselves off when there is no power
    Toasty :-) don't know how I did without them

I would only I'm well 'ard :P

Probably not as much of an issue for the next good few months (bar snow next week!!). I'm toying with "adventuring up the bike a bit" - i.e. windscreen, crash bars, bark busters*. If I did I think the bark busters might substantially solve the issue (keep the wind off fingers).

*Am I mad, would it look daft on a GSX-S 125 (small naked bike)?, would it work at a practical level (windscreen). I guess you can remove it all if wanted, and other than having dropped cash no harm done. As its a learner bike for 2 young fellas in the years ahead I'd say the crash bars would stay on if went on.

One thing I've learned after 1,000km on new bike (service done), if you want to get it to near 100km to keep up with traffic you need drive the **** out of it before going into 6th, which is more or less a "speed maintainer at lower rev gear", this includes dropping into 5th for inclines as otherwise speed gets scrubbed. Overtaking is pretty much to get past tractors & dawdlers (blasting past a line of normal speed cars is not on the agenda.....).

When I enter Nirvana on a V-Strom 650 XT (give me a year or 2) I'll definitely get heated grips.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    I would only I'm well 'ard :P

I'm toying with "adventuring up the bike a bit" - i.e. windscreen, crash bars, bark busters*. If I did I think the bark busters might substantially solve the issue (keep the wind off fingers).

*Am I mad, would it look daft on a GSX-S 125 (small naked bike)?, would it work at a practical level (windscreen).

No I don't think your mad :-)
    I fitted some cheap Chinese Bark buster rip off's on mine for €29 for to keep the wind off work fine for that

Yeah there is a lot to be said for a little bit of power to keep up with the cars or get away from them

Had a proper clown up my arse on the N11 not long ago
    Seen the L plate & probably thought it was funny to drive 6" inches from my Rear end I would say the muppet thought it was some young fella easily intimidated and not a grey haired old fart that has seen it all before

No I don't think your mad :-)
    Seen the L plate & probably thought it was funny to drive 6" inches from my Rear end I would say the muppet thought it was some young fella easily intimidated and not a grey haired old fart that has seen it all before

Respect to the grey haired old fart brotherhood. :D

I don't have the L Plate, got licence 10 years ago but barely rode since due to smallies, but otherwise prob exhibiting many noob characteristics (including unbridled joy and enthusiasm!;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CHESSMUTANT

I'll be selling a FZS600 Fazer before April is out if you're interested.

I wouldn't think you'd be hitting high enough speeds on a 125 that would make a screen or hand guards useful. Heated grips or gloves would be a better investment. Crash bars or bungs are a must imo but I'd go for the bungs on that type of bike if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I wouldn't think you'd be hitting high enough speeds on a 125 that would make a screen or hand guards useful. Heated grips or gloves would be a better investment. Crash bars or bungs are a must imo but I'd go for the bungs on that type of bike if it was me.

100% agree with that, good set of heated grips make cold and wet riding that bit more comfortable.
    Good set of crash guards/ bungs are invaluable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 opelaudi

Hi o.p. I took up biking in my late forties about five years ago and I also have rhe car and truck licence but had to start from the beginning --- driver theory test and i.b.t. I believe that these cannot be avoided.I got myself a vintage bike (suzuki gsx550 1986) cheap insurance about E220 this year and tax E23 I thought I would only keep this temporarily but still drive it today.A suzuki gs500 would be a good bike to start on very manageable and light and like me use a school bike for the test for the a licence.No need for big bike as speed cameras and traffic everywhere so when out for a spin we are only moving with other traffic Enjoy the journey to getting that licence.

Advertisement