Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honda CM250T ‘Restoration’ project

• 13-03-2021 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Ok guys and gals, a couple of weeks I picked up a 1981 Honda CM250T. It’s a non runner and in poor shape but it’s all there which is a bonus for such an old bike. The rust and rot are quite extensive and I’ll struggle to save some of the chrome pieces. I didn’t realize it at the time but the 250 is quite rare unlike 400T which is pretty much the same bike apart from the bore. The CB 250 also has some similar parts.
    To begin with I need to get the engine running. I connected a battery and there was zero power. That turned out to be corroded fuse connectors. But when I got power on the starter wouldn’t turn. It doesn’t have a kick start. At first I couldn’t find the starter. There was so much caked on oil and dirt on the front of the engine that the the starter had morphed as one with the crank casing! Anyway got it off eventually and right enough the shaft was seized with age. This hasn’t fired up in 17 years! Got it turning slowly with the help of a vice grips and now it spins freely with direct power to it. I then tested the solenoid and while it’s clicking it’s not making a connection so a new one is on the way.
    Other than that I’ve spent hours just hacking the dirt and oil off it to make it a little easier to work on. Once I get the motor running I’ll strip the bike bit by bit and paint/replace whatever I can to try and bring the bike back to it’s former glory. It won’t be concours but hopefully presentable compared to its current state. You need to zoom in on the pics to get a proper idea of what’s ahead of me!

2-B7577-FA-76-CE-413-D-B8-E7-ECA51-E4-F8-FFD.jpg
    cof.jpg
    E0-B134-BB-5365-4-AA9-BE44-D8-E4906-F43-A9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lovely stuff. Great time of year to start these sorts of things too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Took off the carbs today for dismantling and cleaning. What a b1tch with a capital C that was 😀. I stopped short of removing the diaphragm’s as I don’t have replacements and might eventually have to rebuild the whole lot anyway and it is cheaper to buy a complete set. But was able to get all the jets out and cleaned so at least if it doesn’t work it’s unlikely to be dirt. That will be it for today I think.

AE285-C94-3445-485-B-8-AC6-7-B4-A14235-DE1.jpg

9-A74-F983-9-E81-499-F-8-CDA-8919-E43-BA5-C1.jpg

DC975122-9-BF8-4574-987-B-6-A73-D1396-F40.jpg

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ^

They came up nicely, what did you polish them with?
    I gave the right hand vacuum top a light rub with 400 wet & dry paper and then a little polish with ‘peek’ metal polish. The rest was just degreasing and washing really. I’ll do a proper job on them at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

They look fab, what were the innards like? Might be worthwhile wet testing the float heights on the bench but I'm guessing you have or will do that.
    Keep the pics coming. A thing I bought on my last rebuild was a cheapo USB bore scope with light from ebay. Plugs into the phone and there's no end of fun, and possibly misery, to be had sending it down a plug hole and other places on the bike.

H_Lime wrote: »
    They look fab, what were the innards like? Might be worthwhile wet testing the float heights on the bench but I'm guessing you have or will do that.
    Keep the pics coming. A thing I bought on my last rebuild was a cheapo USB bore scope with light from ebay. Plugs into the phone and there's no end of fun, and possibly misery, to be had sending it down a plug hole and other places on the bike.
    Trust me I’ve a sh1t load to do without getting a scope to look for more to do 😀.
    The inside of the carbs actually looked ok, nothing unusual anyway. I filled them with fuel after and they seem to be ok but I’ll be removing the engine later anyway to I can deal with any more issues then. By the way I’ve no mechanical training so any tips and tricks like this are appreciated. I’ll take everything including constructive criticism on board 👍.
    Today’s little job was to put the inlet manifolds back together. They’re a combination of a kind of metal clamp surrounded by a thick rubber ring. The rubber covering the metal part is wafer thin and becomes brittle with the heat. It then disintegrates as you’re taking the carbs off. Judging by the white deposits on the metal bit they weren’t making much of a seal. The plan is to bond them back together using a high temperature silicone. This is how they are now. I’ll post how the look finished tomorrow.

2004-EBC4-B0-B6-4-DEC-8437-41364-BEC9-C62.jpg

• Advertisement

And the finished items this morning. They seem fine but I’ll probably replace them when I have a list of stuff to get.

6-E243-B1-D-8-D05-43-A4-B8-BE-26-EC0-CB747-A6.jpg

emeldc wrote: »
    Trust me I’ve a sh1t load to do without getting a scope to look for more to do 😀.
    The inside of the carbs actually looked ok, nothing unusual anyway. I filled them with fuel after and they seem to be ok but I’ll be removing the engine later anyway to I can deal with any more issues then. By the way I’ve no mechanical training so any tips and tricks like this are appreciated. I’ll take everything including constructive criticism on board 👍.
    Today’s little job was to put the inlet manifolds back together. They’re a combination of a kind of metal clamp surrounded by a thick rubber ring. The rubber covering the metal part is wafer thin and becomes brittle with the heat. It then disintegrates as you’re taking the carbs off. Judging by the white deposits on the metal bit they weren’t making much of a seal. The plan is to bond them back together using a high temperature silicone. This is how they are now. I’ll post how the look finished tomorrow.

2004-EBC4-B0-B6-4-DEC-8437-41364-BEC9-C62.jpg

I've not done it myself but the boiling of rubber parts in wintergreen oil and water is meant to restore/rejuvenate the flexibility of em. Might be glad of it come time for installation and removal.
    Keep it coming! :)

Rear mudguard and lights. Mudguard is knackered. Those holes shouldn’t be there. The light surround has a fair bit of rust on it as well but I think it’s saveable. Tomorrows job.

62130405-46-B7-47-CF-93-BA-5-A6-AAB662-A7-C.jpg

A21160-D3-8-A2-F-4525-B421-870-D7-E0831-C5.jpg

A few bits arrived from Germany the other day. A near perfect rear mudguard and a pair of exhaust manifolds. The manifolds have some pitting on the inside but otherwise they’re good. Thankfully they came complete with the brackets as well, they’re about a tenner each to buy.

E544-DF55-0-ACF-42-DE-9981-CC10-AF86-F1-E5.jpg

0883-C9-EB-8-F76-4750-A84-B-7-C406640-D069.jpg

And then with the lights cleaned up and back on the new mudguard.

5-A638-CC8-476-A-4187-BD12-3995-C344-CB18.jpg

706-F1309-29-C7-4-FF0-91-EF-235-CAF7-DF835.jpg

I also got it fired up yesterday. The exhausts are leaking just about everywhere but when I can get it to tick over the engine actually sounds very quiet. A mate is bringing vacuum gauges at the weekend to balance the carbs so I’ll know more then but for the moment I wouldn’t say I’m looking at a major overhaul.

I’ll start tidying the clocks today. The rev counter is damaged so I’ll have to try and straighten that.

32401-F3-A-E2-FE-4-F9-A-A0-A8-0-C6-C76-C617-CE.jpg

dav.jpg

dav.jpg

A few bits arrived from the US today in the post. A seat, a chain guard and a brake pedal. All second hand but in good condition.

726-AF42-C-DB51-4-CB0-ACE7-2-E5-DF76454-CF.jpg

• Advertisement

Happy enough with this one.

FC5-EFFD6-7293-441-E-BEF7-65567-B316-E1-B.jpg

8-F07-D60-D-DE09-4465-8279-729-F3-F7-BAB16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am loving these updates. Would love the courage and garage to take on a project like this.

I am loving these updates. Would love the courage and garage to take on a project like this.
    Whatever about the courage, my 'garage' is a 16x10 shed 😬

This is the battery box.

7-B77-C6-EC-F02-F-47-A8-A002-419-D4-C65-EF8-F.jpg

1-DB46908-061-E-415-F-B209-E9-D37-F2236-DF.jpg

Cleaned up.

CEAA7359-C8-F6-49-A0-BF8-E-67-EEE64-D9661.jpg

585-C7139-53-FD-4876-8-FB7-781-DB6-F5-A581.jpg

And this is the state of the master cylinder. This will take a while. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one quite as bad.

A5316-D2-B-CEE6-47-B9-98-AA-7-C7-FE9-DA69-C3.jpg

3-BCC6-E56-49-F0-4-D32-933-D-629639-E5-E702.jpg

3215589-E-929-A-4593-AD70-4-C475-BED440-D.jpg

3-C0-B1294-7-E6-A-42-E3-87-B4-ED8867-C6-C83-B.jpg

F55-E7129-A73-A-4010-BE44-EC3-E3-EEFC160.jpg

You saved the sticker! :)
    A small ultrasonic cleaners the job for master cylinders like that.

You saved the sticker! :)
    A small ultrasonic cleaners the job for master cylinders like that.

The sticker LOL, very important!
    Was actually looking as those cleaners the other day. The jewelry type? Might invest in one. Could I soak it in nitromorse first to get the paint off it.
    I actually have a little stud stuck in it as well but hopefully I’ll be able to get that out. Second hand ones are rare enough and pricey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nice work. It's really coming on.

The sticker LOL, very important!
    Was actually looking as those cleaners the other day. The jewelry type? Might invest in one. Could I soak it in nitromorse first to get the paint off it.
    I actually have a little stud stuck in it as well but hopefully I’ll be able to get that out. Second hand ones are rare enough and pricey.

If theyre in the plastic they should come easy, if not I'd make a slit in it with my skinny dremel wheel and unscrew em or vise grips if proud. For the paint I use my bench grinders brass wheel or again the dremel. Super duper handy them.
    Have you bought all the chassis bearings?

If theyre in the plastic they should come easy, if not I'd make a slit in it with my skinny dremel wheel and unscrew em or vise grips if proud. For the paint I use my bench grinders brass wheel or again the dremel. Super duper handy them.
    Have you bought all the chassis bearings?
    No bearings or service kits of any kind bought yet. Are there any Irish suppliers that are any good for older stuff. I can get anything I need online but you can run into vat and customs charges depending on where it’s coming from. CMS in the Netherlands are quite good but I’d rather keep it local if it was for similar money.

No bearings or service kits of any kind bought yet. Are there any Irish suppliers that are any good for older stuff. I can get anything I need online but you can run into vat and customs charges depending on where it’s coming from. CMS in the Netherlands are quite good but I’d rather keep it local if it was for similar money.

I've fallen foul of brexit in this regard as simplybearings.co.uk were my go to, in saying that I've used reliance bearings bricks and mortar shops in Cork a plenty so depending on where you are check out local bearing suppliers. Bringing the bearing along is a good idea.
    Where you will get caught is the like of swingarm and linkage bushings which may be worn. Unless you've access to a lathe your buying oem or spurious here. Allballs kits saved me a fortune on bushes for my last dr rebuild.

Cmsnl are expensive imo in comparison to jap sites likes megazip.net who will keep declared value low to avoid costs. They have a good stock of stuff where others didn't on my bikes but factor another wk on delivery.

If you are in Cork you can borrow my sonic cleaner for a wk or two.

• Advertisement

I've fallen foul of brexit in this regard as simplybearings.co.uk were my go to, in saying that I've used reliance bearings bricks and mortar shops in Cork a plenty so depending on where you are check out local bearing suppliers. Bringing the bearing along is a good idea.
    Where you will get caught is the like of swingarm and linkage bushings which may be worn. Unless you've access to a lathe your buying oem or spurious here. Allballs kits saved me a fortune on bushes for my last dr rebuild.

Cmsnl are expensive imo in comparison to jap sites likes megazip.net who will keep declared value low to avoid costs. They have a good stock of stuff where others didn't on my bikes but factor another wk on delivery.

If you are in Cork you can borrow my sonic cleaner for a wk or two.
    I hadn’t heard of mega zip.net before, I’ll check them out. I’m in Kilkenny, thanks for the offer of the cleaner but I think I’ll try and pick one up. What size have you got and it it sufficient for the bits I’ll need to clean like the carbs.

I hadn’t heard of mega zip.net before, I’ll check them out. I’m in Kilkenny, thanks for the offer of the cleaner but I think I’ll try and pick one up. What size have you got and it it sufficient for the bits I’ll need to clean like the carbs.

There may be better than megazip but I found more unobtainium there than elsewhere so suited me. Are all the parts you need for it available on cmsnl?
    https://ibb.co/N7krddp

There may be better than megazip but I found more unobtainium there than elsewhere so suited me. Are all the parts you need for it available on cmsnl?
    https://ibb.co/N7krddp

David silver and CMSNL are two of the only sites that quote parts specifically for the UK ‘81 Cm250t. Silvers add 28% vat and customs to the total making them too expensive. CMSNL at least quote in Euro and the postage is reasonable and no extra charges. The Cm400t is the same bike apart from the engine size and from what I see so far there are very few differences and all the parts are compatible. The cb 250n also has a few compatible parts. So CMS for the smaller bits and pieces that might need to be 250t specific and eBay for all the bigger stuff second hand. There’s a fair few bits available in Germany but the availability of the bulk of stuff is in the US. Alas vat and customs from the US. The only body part I need now is a front mudguard. There’s any amount of rusty ones for sale for around €80 but sure what’s the point in that when I already have a rusty one :D. I’m watching a few half decent ones, I might bite on one of them.

David silver and CMSNL are two of the only sites that quote parts specifically for the UK ‘81 Cm250t. Silvers add 28% vat and customs to the total making them too expensive. CMSNL at least quote in Euro and the postage is reasonable and no extra charges. The Cm400t is the same bike apart from the engine size and from what I see so far there are very few differences and all the parts are compatible. The cb 250n also has a few compatible parts. So CMS for the smaller bits and pieces that might need to be 250t specific and eBay for all the bigger stuff second hand. There’s a fair few bits available in Germany but the availability of the bulk of stuff is in the US. Alas vat and customs from the US. The only body part I need now is a front mudguard. There’s any amount of rusty ones for sale for around €80 but sure what’s the point in that when I already have a rusty one :D. I’m watching a few half decent ones, I might bite on one of them.

Consider having a UK mte buy from silver and have him ship it to you as a package of 20 quid or whatever value dips under the vat limit? Being doing tht a bit lately actually and have a friend stateside do that with a couple prts too.
    Great you can get parts, God bless Honda!

Consider having a UK mte buy from silver and have him ship it to you as a package of 20 quid or whatever value dips under the vat limit? Being doing tht a bit lately actually and have a friend stateside do that with a couple prts too.
    Great you can get parts, God bless Honda!
    Yep, I have a sister in London who would help out. I just did a price comparison on about €100 worth of bits between DS and CMS and there is very little difference between the two. DS probably have an extra few seals, nuts, bolts that CMSL don’t have or are charging stupid money for genuine bits. I’ll strip another few bits off the bike over the next few days and see what else I need and then try and order the lot from one site. But using a third party in the UK is definitely worth looking at. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How did you get the dent out of the tacho?

Life ain't always empty.

You probably won’t believe me when I tell you but I’ll take a pic of my “special tools” later and post back.

Here’s my special tool. The top of the banister post!!!!

EB19-CF57-A4-FA-4-C35-99-D8-D0650-FFE6-E94.jpg

I had to take the clock apart to get at the casing properly. Not easy as they are sealed in the factory and not supposed to be split. You bend the lip around the chrome ring and then you can split top and bottom. Took the glass out and then placed the casing, dent side down on a thin piece of cloth over the Top of the banister post. Then placed a flat piece of wood over the face up side of the casing and hit it 3 or 4 taps of a hammer. The casing then takes on the proper round shape. There’s still a little ding on the outside of the casing but I just turned it to the underside so it won’t be seen once back on the bike.
    Sometimes you have to think outside the box :D:D

Here’s my special tool. The top of the banister post!!!!

EB19-CF57-A4-FA-4-C35-99-D8-D0650-FFE6-E94.jpg

I had to take the clock apart to get at the casing properly. Not easy as they are sealed in the factory and not supposed to be split. You bend the lip around the chrome ring and then you can split top and bottom. Took the glass out and then placed the casing, dent side down on a thin piece of cloth over the Top of the banister post. Then placed a flat piece of wood over the face up side of the casing and hit it 3 or 4 taps of a hammer. The casing then takes on the proper round shape. There’s still a little ding on the outside of the casing but I just turned it to the underside so it won’t be seen once back on the bike.
    Sometimes you have to think outside the box :D:D

Your missus LOVES you:pac:
    Brilliant work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Genius.

Might need a tiny bit of touch up paint on the banister but what harm :)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement