Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You could always set up a MYGOV ID provided that you have a PPSN number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

smurfjed wrote: »
    You could always set up a MYGOV ID provided that you have a PPSN number.

I think you need a PSC card for that. It's easy then because they can use the photo from the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You are correct, I missed that step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

tanka006 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I need some help please.

I need my driving licence renewed........

I think i need the following:

Appointment at the centre
    Passport (proof of ID)
    Utility bill (proof of address)
    Payment for licence - is credit card ok?
    Do i need a passport size photo or do they take one there?

am i missing anything?

Thanks
    Tanka

Yep, you need proof of ppsn, a payslip or revenue/social

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

I’ve a driving license that’s about to expire at the end of the extended period and I’m just wondering what’s the story with the NDLS?

They’ve a message up saying essential workers only. I have an NDLS centre within walking distance in my 5km

If I turn up will they refuse to process my application?

My license will expire at the end of January and the only appointment I could get was for early February.

I don’t really need the car but if there's any kind of emergency it might be quite useful.

I can’t do the online renewal as I don’t have a PSC card.

Can’t say I’m overly keen on even going to the appointment at this level of covid cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

From the looks of their website it looks like they wont entertain you. Even asks non essential to cancel theyre appointments so essentials can take it. Id just phone them and ask are you getting an extension

How long do I have to renew if my licence completely expires?

I mean I don’t want to end up having to reset a driving test or something.

I can probably park up the car and just go nowhere until the level 5 lifts.

They really should just have a blanket amnesty for 2021. Its only a bureaucratic nonsense really for most of us.

I had replaced my licence due to damage to the paper one, so I had in my head that it wasn’t anywhere near due

I got a letter from them last month with the forms for renew, but by then it was far too late and they only sent out the forms 1 month before the extended date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Ah you have years from when your licence expires before needing a retest or anything.

pippip wrote: »
    Ah you have years from when your licence expires before needing a retest or anything.

That’s not too bad.

I will just probably forget about driving then from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

Try and apply for the renewal on the NDLS website if you have a MyGovID.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Try and apply for the renewal on the NDLS website if you have a MyGovID.

You need a PSC Card to compete it. Can’t be done like a passport. It’s a bit of a joke of a system.

You’d think during a massive pandemic they would be trying to move fully online, not throw up hurdles.

When you think about it, for the vast majority of renewals there is really no reason why we have to attend in person. It’s just renewing an existing licence.

You can renew your passport online without all this nonsense. I can’t see why you can’t renew your driving licence similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Datacore wrote: »
    How long do I have to renew if my licence completely expires?
    You have 10 years from expiry to renew your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i was in the same boat just recently.
    forgot the licence was up, until i got a letter
    don't have a gov.id so had to book an appointment on line
    not able to do by telephone

nearest one was three weeks, i went last week, citywest one
    guy has a clipboard with names of people and appointment times. lets about five in at a time, and closes the door. comes back out when a few seats are free.
    you can sit very safely at a distance.
    then you go to the booths, all very safe.

in my case i made it a week before my expiry date
    and made sure to bring all documentation needed.
    in and out in no time

despite it saying essential workers only, no way was everyone there an essential. in fact one guy turned up who was not on the list but said he only made the appointment that morning (and got one before me) which was strange unless someone cancelled and he managed to get a cancellation.

so my advice is to book the nearest one, before the slots get filled up, and don't drive until your license is in date.
    well and good if they issue an extension in the meantime

They were about 6-7 weeks here, so booked in December and got Feb.

It’s in walking distance though.

I’m hearing the licences are taking up to 8 weeks to issue too. Not sure how accurate that is, but it’s what I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Datacore wrote: »

I’m hearing the licences are taking up to 8 weeks to issue too. Not sure how accurate that is, but it’s what I heard

I renewed mine online last week and got the licence in the post on Tuesday so it's not taking 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

pippip wrote: »
    From the looks of their website it looks like they wont entertain you. Even asks non essential to cancel theyre appointments so essentials can take it. Id just phone them and ask are you getting an extension

Nope you can make an appointment, they are asking if you are non essential to try not and do that but they have no right to ask your work or to let your licence expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My licence was up in early December - of course completely forgot as it's the first time I've had to renew it, received the notice in the post in late November I'd say. I went online to book an appointment, nothing available until the 15th January :eek: - so I booked that. I had read somewhere that the guards had been informed that there is a backlog with licence renewals and perhaps they would be a bit more lenient with people if they were stopped and had evidence of an appt.

I would have done it online but have no PSC :rolleyes: Anyway, went to the NDLS centre last Friday - appt was at 9.30 - only to be told that their "systems are down" and that they were a bit behind - there was one guy in front of me standing outside, so I figured maybe one or two inside, so didn't think it would take too long, the girl at the door then told me there was a seat inside, went in to see there were about 6/7 in front of me and NOTHING was moving - the people behind the desks were just sitting there. I naively thought maybe their systems would be up and running again soon - 40 minutes later, still nothing happening. Had to leave as my dad was waiting in the car outside. I made another appointment for the 17th February - so, still no licence.

I need the car for going shopping once a week, so I'm still driving it like. The supermarket is 5 minutes down the road so think I'll take the chance for the next few weeks. Also, when I came out of the centre, there was a queue all the way down the street....certainly not essential workers. The majority of people need their car for shopping and things like that, so how they expect people just to hold off is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maik3n

Happy to say all went swimmingly for me during the week.

Had an appointment booked for late afternoon and arrived 20 mins early.
    Not a sinner in sight and only 1 inspector who let me in, asked if i had an appointment and processed my application straight away.

Only slight hiccup is that they did mention it will take around 2-3 weeks to get to me. I'm hoping that is just worse case scenario and that it will actually come in the post earlier. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

My driving licence is up end of Feb, however I did not have a public service card. I went to my nearest intreo/social welfare office last Thursday(had an arranged appointment) very nice lady there . Got the public service card on Tuesday this week, completed my driving licence renewal online Tuesday night and my new licence came in the post yesterday . So in one week both were done, I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got a text on friday from ndls telling me new licence on the way about 2 weeks after going in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 26 years in Dublin

I went to renew my driver licence in the middle of December and over 3 weeks ago I received a text message from NDLS saying my licence would arrive within 3-5 business days.
    It still hasn't come yet, so I rang NDLS today (02/02/2021) and they told me my licence was dispatched only on the 29th of January (4 days ago). How come they sent the message over 3 weeks ago?
    Has anyone else experienced something similar with them?

I went to renew my driver licence in the middle of December and over 3 weeks ago I received a text message from NDLS saying my licence would arrive within 3-5 business days.
    It still hasn't come yet, so I rang NDLS today (02/02/2021) and they told me my licence was dispatched only on the 29th of January (4 days ago). How come they sent the message over 3 weeks ago?
    Has anyone else experienced something similar with them?
    Was in NDLS to renew my license on 22/01/21.
    Staff said wait is usually 2-3 weeks.
    Got a text yesterday from NDLS to say that processing times are usually 3 weeks so I'm not sure if they mean 3 weeks from when I applied or they mean 3 weeks from now.

I sure hope it's the former and they are just reassuring me abut why it hasn't arrived yet. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

OH's Truck licence due to expire, car licence still valid for a number of years yet. If he don't renew truck licence now can he renew it when renewing car licence or will he lose it if he don't renew it now. He doesnt drive trucks but would hate to lose the licence. It's in the expiry date extension period currently.

Think he will need to get a medical done to renew the licence. Doesn't have a public service card.

Emailed NDLS about 3 weeks ago asking this question but still no reply from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

nhg wrote: »
    OH's Truck licence due to expire, car licence still valid for a number of years yet. If he don't renew truck licence now can he renew it when renewing car licence or will he lose it if he don't renew it now. He doesnt drive trucks but would hate to lose the licence. It's in the expiry date extension period currently.

Think he will need to get a medical done to renew the licence. Doesn't have a public service card.

Emailed NDLS about 3 weeks ago asking this question but still no reply from them.

I had it confirmed with NDLS and RSA for different reasons but I had trucks, buses, motorbikes etc and I was told that from the day I exchange my licence to another country that i have 10 years to come back and reclaim all my categories.

So your husband has another nearly 5 years to renew his trucks.

Only thing is though he might not be able to do CPCs if he has no licence so will have to go through all that again to keep up cpc when the licence is renewed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 26 years in Dublin

maik3n wrote: »
    Was in NDLS to renew my license on 22/01/21.
    Staff said wait is usually 2-3 weeks.
    Got a text yesterday from NDLS to say that processing times are usually 3 weeks so I'm not sure if they mean 3 weeks from when I applied or they mean 3 weeks from now.

I sure hope it's the former and they are just reassuring me abut why it hasn't arrived yet. :P

Well, they were good enough to text you about processing times.
    I was told nearly 4 weeks ago that my licence would arrive within 3-5 business days! My old licence expired 2.5 weeks ago:‑(
    Hope you receive yours very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Are the phone lines down for NDLS?

Well, they were good enough to text you about processing times.
    I was told nearly 4 weeks ago that my licence would arrive within 3-5 business days! My old licence expired 2.5 weeks ago:‑(
    Hope you receive yours very soon.
    3 weeks waiting today and I don't hold out much hope for getting it tomorrow, Friday. :(
    TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Are the phone lines down for NDLS?
    Was ok for me later in the afternoon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MyOMY12

Mymomy.... It, s just not working. Doesn, t accept my correct PPS.... Invalid it sayssssss.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jbv

Renewed my Driving Licence online. Monday application filled in, Thursday got my new licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

I do wonder what the process behind the scenes actually is. I get that one process eg GovID+Online would be more efficient than another. But what exactly is left to do after you have present all your documentation at the counter and had your photo taken that it takes so much longer than the GovID route?

My licence was out of date in on Jan 26th. In early Jan or late Dec (before I got my letter) I booked an appointment for the 20th. I don’t recall their being any issue about being an essential worker. Turned up on the 20th, all paper work in order, paid my fee, had my photo taken. I was then told to expect a delay and given my receipt. My new licence arrived two days ago. 4 weeks to the day.

My question is, what happened in that 4 weeks? I’m guessing the answer is that my application spent 99.5% of that time not being processed. But if all my documentation is checked at the desk, photo taken and fee paid why is the process from that point not as efficient as the online process? One would expect that all the agent has to do after checking the documents is tick a box to say print licence. Or is all the documentation, needlessly, checked again?

My daughter, much to her delight, got her first learner permit last week quite efficiently (though not super efficiently) with the GovID/Online route.

Advertisement