Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

batman_oh wrote: »
    I'm sick of the insurance companies in this country. Got my renewal - 980 quid, 300 up on last year (on the same bikes) and double what it was in 2017.

Revalued the 1290 down to 14k and I managed the awesome price of 890.
    Rang Axa and mentioned that both had exhausts and they refused to quote me saying they won't insure any bike that has any part modified from standard.

They are a bunch of horrible fooks

who with, out of curiousity ?

I know for years CN wouldn't insure by H-D at all, as they said it was over the value that they would cover, for bikes (I think the cut off was 15k).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Bike is a 02 gsx 1400
    I'm 27
    Full licence since last may.
    5 years NCB now.
    Last year was €554 TP only
    Renewal €568 TP only
    Ye sure.
    I'm stuck with them with a non fault claim open.
    Rang today and got it down to €465 TP
    Happy that the €100 is in my pocket and no one else's.
    I'll need it to fix that exhaust :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I live abroad, and hear about the chronic insurance prices going on at home.

Reading some of this thread terrifies me to the core. I moved home about 2 years ago, shipped my BMW R NineT back and remember my insurance was through the roof. I live in Vancouver and insurance is pretty insane here too, but it just seems another level in Ireland.

I still debate moving back, and now I own a Harley Davidson Fat Bob, trying to get insurance on a 1868cc bike with a learners is probably considered a mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Gintonious wrote: »

I still debate moving back, and now I own a Harley Davidson Fat Bob, trying to get insurance on a 1868cc bike with a learners is probably considered a mental illness.

NDLS site says you can exchange a Canadian licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

NDLS site says you can exchange a Canadian licence.

When I tried before, it only gave me a learner for the bike. I could exchange my car licence no problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

2014 Triumph Tiger 800
    Age 47
    20 plus years full licence
    1 yr NCB (long time off the bike)
    Renewal with Carole Nash €675 TPFT including commuting, riding other bikes and pillion
    Exact same price as last year so effectively a price rise considering I had no NCB last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Unfortunately getting insurance on a learner permit these days is very hard. Especially if the bike is over 400cc. A few years ago Liberty would quote no problems, but not anymore. I dont know how they expect learners to learn if they cant insure their bikes. It seems to me [I am a learner myself] we are expected to keep hiring school bikes until we pass the test. And then start on a honda 50 for a few years or something like that.
    PS I was turned down by Liberty, AXA and C Nash for a 600cc bandit. They all said criteria bla bla bla
    Got multiple quotes around 5-700 for a fazer 600 last year, 30 with provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Got multiple quotes around 5-700 for a fazer 600 last year, 30 with provisional.

Yeah I paid €548 for TPFT with Carole Nash last September as a 37YO learner with 0 NCB on a Fz6 (i.e. Fazer) in Co. Cork. Would have been about 200 for comprehensive. There are probably other factors than being on a learner such as bike value, cc, security or location that are preventing guys from getting quotes...

Not defending the insurers for a second...I've a full car licence and 15 years NCB and still get increases on the renewal every f-ing year.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Don’t know if its ok to post here, 36 and just got my provisional and doing my IBT. Rang around insurance companies (full 4 in Ireland?) And none would insure me if there is an R in the bike model...Are there any UK companies that would cover over here? Or even what bikes i can actually look to to get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Got my renewal quote for €684

Did some searching and chill came back with quite for €480 fully comp.

Driving a 2017 Merc C200

Happy out

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nerro wrote: »
    Don’t know if its ok to post here, 36 and just got my provisional and doing my IBT. Rang around insurance companies (full 4 in Ireland?) And none would insure me if there is an R in the bike model...Are there any UK companies that would cover over here? Or even what bikes i can actually look to to get insurance?

What's here is it...
    Most are UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fr.jack09

Generally I go by the insurance groups. Bikes are categorised up to level 17. The higher the group the more risk/cost. Up to around level 12 should be OK for a learner permit. You can get a list of UK levels online. They moreor less correspond to Ireland.

Probably best to go with an Irish company anyway.

fr.jack09 wrote: »
    Generally I go by the insurance groups. Bikes are categorised up to level 17. The higher the group the more risk/cost. Up to around level 12 should be OK for a learner permit. You can get a list of UK levels online. They moreor less correspond to Ireland.

Probably best to go with an Irish company anyway.

Thanks, will look into the categories. The problem with Irish that I rang around and none would touch me as I only got a permit. Even if I go for their advanced driving lessons still couldn’t get an answer...I don’t mind paying extra as I understand that I am in high risk as a newbie, but not even giving me a quote, I don’t think they are struggling for business

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Forget about UK companies, they won't quote you unless they already operate here.

Just get something more learner friendly, aim to pass your test within the first year and build up an NCB and then you'll have more options.

Got my renewal quote for €684

Did some searching and chill came back with quite for €480 fully comp.

Driving a 2017 Merc C200

Happy out

Two wheels too many mate.

Life ain't always empty.

Forget about UK companies, they won't quote you unless they already operate here.

Just get something more learner friendly, aim to pass your test within the first year and build up an NCB and then you'll have more options.

Thats the problem, to get full A licence you need to pass it on a bike no less than 500cc, but insurance wouldn’t cover you on such...kind of defeat the purpose making an option to get the licence

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fr.jack09

Thats the problem, to get full A licence you need to pass it on a bike no less than 500cc, but insurance wouldn’t cover you on such...kind of defeat the purpose making an option to get the licence

You will get insurance on a bike over 500cc no bother. Just nothing sporty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Check to see if they'll(Carole Nash/Principle) quote you as a learner on a Honda CBF600/ Hornet 600

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Check to see if they'll(Carole Nash/Principle) quote you as a learner on a Honda CBF600/ Hornet 600

Would also suggest Yamaha FZ6 (Fazer) as another 600cc (A licence) bike you should be able to get insured on....

Yah from speaking to one of the reps at principle insurance I can get insured on the likes you quoted and the likes as bandit 600cc etc
    Fully comp for 789
    Which is actually not too bad for first time insurance.
    Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Thanks, will look into the categories. The problem with Irish that I rang around and none would touch me as I only got a permit. Even if I go for their advanced driving lessons still couldn’t get an answer...I don’t mind paying extra as I understand that I am in high risk as a newbie, but not even giving me a quote, I don’t think they are struggling for business

I may have stretched the truth about having a quote already when ringing insurance companies and all of a sudden they became far more reasonable.

What kind of bike is it?

• Advertisement

I may have stretched the truth about having a quote already when ringing insurance companies and all of a sudden they became far more reasonable.

What kind of bike is it?

I got a quote for Suzuki bandit 600 ‘04
    Axa was similar but if you will go for their driver assessment course it would go down even more depending on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SV650 would be a good choice too and meets the A test criteria (if not restricted.)

Life ain't always empty.

SV650 would be a good choice too and meets the A test criteria (if not restricted.)

Yes it is, and following previous posters advice of keeping at insurance category 12 so far didn’t had any issues getting quotes. In any case will update with what i get cost wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smcm01

I'm 22 years old with a learner permit.

I've been quoted 3k from Principal TPFT for a 2016 Yamaha YBR 125.

Liberty wouldn't even quote me as apparently the YBR falls outside of their 'learner criteria'. They said I'd have to have a full license for at least 3 years before they'd cover me on the YBR.

What should I do? 3k is obscene. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

smcm01 wrote: »
    I'm 22 years old with a learner permit.

I've been quoted 3k from Principal TPFT for a 2016 Yamaha YBR 125.

Liberty wouldn't even quote me as apparently the YBR falls outside of their 'learner criteria'. They said I'd have to have a full license for at least 3 years before they'd cover me on the YBR.

What should I do? 3k is obscene. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get a bigger bike and not any sports type.

Go for A straight away.

Get a bigger bike and not any sports type.

Go for A straight away.

Thanks Punisher.

Unfortunately I can't go directly for the A license as I'm lead to believe that you have to be 24 years old.

What I struggle to wrap my head around is why a smaller bike is deemed to be more dangerous for a learner. I would've thought that a simple 125 would be the most learner friendly approach for me to take. Perhaps I'm wrong on that?

There also seems to be a misconception by Insurance companies about the YBR, simply because of the 'R' in the name. The YBR is a basic naked road bike. There's nothing very sporty about it...

What did Carole Nash say?

Get a list of used 125's and see if you'll get better quotes for them.

For the first time you take our insurance it's not really about what bike you want more about what bike you can get insured on.

I was a lot older than you when I got insured on a 125 but it was a Honda Varadero 125.

I haven't got a hold of Carole Nash yet.

I plan to call them first thing on Monday. Although my hopes aren't super high following the experience with Principal and Liberty..

I've already bought the YBR so I'm pretty heavily invested...

I'm taking the IBT's next weekend. Would having them completed have any influence on the price?

Liberty and Principal weren't an option for me due to price.

I'd try Carole Nash after you pass the IBT or ring them on Monday and ask them to quote as if you've passed the IBT.

The IBT should not make any difference on price as you're legally not allowed to ride a bike on public roads without the IBT - so it makes no sense to quote a higher price to someone without the IBT since they can't legally go on the road anyway.

Make sure you are taking note of what the premium is AND any fee that is applying. The fee is broker specific and is not part of the Insurer premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

They assume you have the IBT done since you can't drive without it anyway, so no.

Advertisement