Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project Binky - GT4 in a Mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

That's me getting no sleep tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yet again, completely over engineered to the highest degree. Bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

P.T.O hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The way this I'd dragging on, It would make you appreciate how quickly gas money gets stuff done. Celica GT4s will be vintage by the time binky's finished .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Aye, I get that quality content takes a while to make, and this project isn't their full time work, but 3-4 months between episodes is a bit of a stretch. At least there's a fair length to each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bigus wrote: »
    The way this I'd dragging on, It would make you appreciate how quickly gas money gets stuff done. Celica GT4s will be vintage by the time binky's finished .

Yes but they have maybe 200 man hours a week on a car... Maybe more. While BO might get about 10-20 on a good week and I would think less on average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mloc123 wrote: »
    Yes but they have maybe 200 man hours a week on a car... Maybe more. While BO might get about 10-20 on a good week and I would think less on average.
    Plus the quality of the engineering is far beyond the vast majority of what a crowd like Gas Monkey get up to. Their stuff is for the most part off the shelf third party bolt ons with a bit of tweaking and cosmetics. More assembly than engineering. You just can't compare the two on any level the only commonality is they both work on cars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The quality of the detail is exquisite, but as a driver I'd be more concerned with the fundamentals of the build and how it may handle. It could turn out be a complete pig for example in pitch and yaw , with dangerous or unmanageable dynamics.
    If I was doing this project I'd have run a rough cobbled together example around a racing circuit/private road to make sure track and wheelbase and weight distribution were fundamentally in the ballpark before getting into fine inconsequential time consuming details like bloody central locking re-engineering. But time will tell ... a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The quality of the detail is exquisite, but as a driver I'd be more concerned with the fundamentals of the build and how it may handle. It could turn out be a complete pig for example in pitch and yaw , with dangerous or unmanageable dynamics.
    If I was doing this project I'd have run a rough cobbled together example around a racing circuit/private road to make sure track and wheelbase and weight distribution were fundamentally in the ballpark before getting into fine inconsequential time consuming details like bloody central locking re-engineering. But time will tell ... a long time.

They build rally cars for a living (I think?) so I would be reasonably confident they know what they are doing here

• Advertisement

You just have to look at the amount of effort to remove the bump steer to realise how serious they want it to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not much you could do about the wheelbase, and working within the confines of the mini shell, scope for changing the weight distribution is limited to perhaps adding extra to the rear after testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Patww79 wrote: »

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It's like Christmas, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OMG that thing they did is class! Can't ruin it for ye but it's flipping great

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's fantastic but they really are going to new levels of detail to the point that it will never be finished.

As long as the Patreon donations keep coming in shur!

• Advertisement

Very funny.

Ed China in it too....

Patww79 wrote: »

Yup, 28:30 into it.

And also in at 00:50

Edd had a video on his channel about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Another great episode.

Advertisement