Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax Calculation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all again. Not sure if you could help me on this one. I'm filling in the form 11 (late I know) online, and just stuck on one thing.

I got help with it last year, so wasn't paying as much attention as I should.

I am paying tax on two trades/business/whatever you'd like to call them.

I have my expenses figures for both, and what I earned from both.

So, on the first, I am at the section:

Profit assessable in 2013

Amount of adjusted net profit for accounting period:

Amount of adjusted net loss for accounting period:

Not being much good at maths at school, I assume in this case, I'll just be putting in the net profit figure (which would be the figure after I subtract expenses from earnings, correct?)

Or, do I just scroll down to the parts with the headings of Trading Account Items (see attached) and continue from there?

I think I'll submit something, and let them get back to me if I have left anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

Your adjusted profit is the your net profit plus the add back for light and heat and personal motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Gah, I think I'll get the person who helped me last year! Headf*ck stuff. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Got my answer elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

Hi All,

Inheritance of property valuation 200K
    Solicitors Fees 20K

Qs 1. What will the inheritance tax be?

Sold Property Sold for 220K
    Legal and Auctioneers Fees 10K

Qs 2. What will the Capital Gains Tax be?

• Advertisement

theenergy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Inheritance of property valuation 200K
    Solicitors Fees 20K

Qs 1. What will the inheritance tax be?

Sold Property Sold for 220K
    Legal and Auctioneers Fees 10K

Qs 2. What will the Capital Gains Tax be?

You will need to give us more info than that!!! who did you inherit the property from
    as this makes a massive difference

inherited from my mothers neighbour

of absolute no relation

value 200k less the 20k expenses and 15075 threshold allowance =164925 @ 33% = 54,425

CGT = 220k - 10k fees = 210 sales proceed less 200k cost = 10k gain less annual exemption 1270 = 8730 *33%= 2881

thanks Gard1

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hardy Eustace

Doing form 11 online and looking to find out what is allowable in the section "Allowable Deductions incurred in Employment", I referred to the "Guide to Completing 2013 Pay & FileSelf-Assessment Returns". All it says is "Depending on the nature of your employment you may be entitled to expenses against your income. 'Flat rate' expenses are approved by Revenue in relation to certain employments/occupations. A full list can be found at www . revenue . ie." Well, maybe it can, but it might be a help if they said where. I can't find it.

Does anyone know where this can be found or, alternatively, what's allowable. I'm employed as a software developer, my wife as a clerical officer. Is there standard stuff that can be claimed like a clothing, etc?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Doing form 11 online and looking to find out what is allowable in the section "Allowable Deductions incurred in Employment", I referred to the "Guide to Completing 2013 Pay & FileSelf-Assessment Returns". All it says is "Depending on the nature of your employment you may be entitled to expenses against your income. 'Flat rate' expenses are approved by Revenue in relation to certain employments/occupations. A full list can be found at www . revenue . ie." Well, maybe it can, but it might be a help if they said where. I can't find it.

Does anyone know where this can be found or, alternatively, what's allowable. I'm employed as a software developer, my wife as a clerical officer. Is there standard stuff that can be claimed like a clothing, etc?

Thanks.

Link is here.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/employee-expenses.html#section1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Thanks.

Google "flat rate expenses 2013" and you'll find the spreadsheet/chart.

Off the top of my head, I doubt there are ones for you guys but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

HOME CARER CREDIT - Question

Im married PAYE worker, (my wife is stay at home, looks after the kids) .
    I always assumed the place I worked looked after my credits ok but
    I just noticed my PAYE Anytime had me registered with only 1 Dependent child. When in fact I have 3 kids under 16, in school.

Currently my home Carer Tax Credit is 810 , is that right?
    What amount in Tax credit should I recieve for 3 Dependent kids ?
    Is it different to if you have 1 dependent kid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

HOME CARER CREDIT - Question

Im married PAYE worker, (my wife is stay at home, looks after the kids) .
    I always assumed the place I worked looked after my credits ok but
    I just noticed my PAYE Anytime had me registered with only 1 Dependent child. When in fact I have 3 kids under 16, in school.

Currently my home Carer Tax Credit is 810 , is that right?
    What amount in Tax credit should I recieve for 3 Dependent kids ?
    Is it different to if you have 1 dependent kid ?

810 is correct.
    That's the max you can claim as a tax credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hardy Eustace

Thank you, relax carry on and Larry Wildman.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ste1605

claim credits for spouse

is this possible outside marriage? what is required? I earn 50k and she earns 16k what would be the overall monthly gain??
    thanks in advance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ste1605 wrote: »
    claim credits for spouse

is this possible outside marriage? what is required? I earn 50k and she earns 16k what would be the overall monthly gain??
    thanks in advance

spouse, so marriage (or civil partnership) is necessary.

You would be able to claim about 300 in unclaimed tax credits and 10,000 in unclaimed tax band giving an annual saving of approx €2,300.

But yes marriage is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

hi all! Just stumbled across this thread and was wondering if anybody could give me the info I'm looking for.

I am PAYE on 42000 and due to be married this year to my self employed partner of a LTD company. I am not a director or anything.

I pay enough tax as it is and sm wondering am u going to be worse off?

thanks in advance

*am I going to be worse of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Nope ,,apart from the expense of a wedding

• Advertisement

Nope ,,apart from the expense of a wedding

so there will be no ammendments to my pay slip? what if my circumstances change and I fall out of work, surely I have no job seekers behind me or is this also incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Just wondering if I should apply for a P21 balancing statement for 2014. According to my P60 I was paid 42k and paid tax of 7k with usc of 2.3k. I'm single, under 30, and have 3.6k tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Just wondering if I should apply for a P21 balancing statement for 2014. According to my P60 I was paid 42k and paid tax of 7k with usc of 2.3k. I'm single, under 30, and have 3.6k tax credits.

In 2014 , on an income of 42k you would have paid 7k tax and 2.3k usc , but with tax credits of 3.3k

You say your credits were 3.6k , so apply for balancing statement and find out what the extra 300e credits are .

And remember the only way to reduce your tax liability for 2014 , would be to increase your tax credits .
    Browse the www.revenue.ie website and see what your entitlements are .

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi all,
    Im on 35k a year an I am considering taking a month off in the summer without
    pay. What would happen in terms of terms of tax? I currently pay about €120 per month into pension and my take-home would be €520 p.w.
    Thanks in advance.

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im on 35k a year an I am considering taking a month off in the summer without
    pay. What would happen in terms of terms of tax? I currently pay about €120 per month into pension and my take-home would be €520 p.w.
    Thanks in advance.

At the moment taxable gross pay is 33600

thismis in the lower rate band so you would only save on your marginal rate 31%. If you were to get a pay raise it will move you into yhe 40% tax band for paye which would allow incease your savings from a month off considerably. So if you are not sure if you want to take a month off wighwigwithout pay this year or next year and you willmget a pay rise next year would be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

At the moment taxable gross pay is 33600

thismis in the lower rate band so you would only save on your marginal rate 31%. If you were to get a pay raise it will move you into yhe 40% tax band for paye which would allow incease your savings from a month off considerably. So if you are not sure if you want to take a month off wighwigwithout pay this year or next year and you willmget a pay rise next year would be a better option

Thanks Ciaran,
    I reckon a pay increase is off the table for this year!
    Roughly would I claim back a in a one-off payment or would I see it in a reduction on the tax I pay weekly following the month off?
    Any idea roughly how much I would get to claim back??
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

should i file for a tax return?

all my colleagues at work advised me not to do it, since i may get some money back, but i may also need to pay the government.

is there a way for me find out what i can expect? i'm working i ireland for 2 years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi, wonder if anyone can advise. My partner returned to work and i received an amended tax credit cert, basically all of our combined income is now taxed at 20% and not as previously where i think around €42k was taxed at 20% and everything above at 41%. Now considering that there was about €25k taxed at 41% and this is now taxed at 20% shouldn't i have seen some benefit in my wages? This is my second pay month and all i have seen is that my tax status changes to W because i lose the home carers credit for my wife going to work and my my total take home is down by €80 to repay that credit...Anyone know what is going on here?

vanman99 wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if anyone can advise. My partner returned to work and i received an amended tax credit cert, basically all of our combined income is now taxed at 20% and not as previously where i think around €42k was taxed at 20% and everything above at 41%. Now considering that there was about €25k taxed at 41% and this is now taxed at 20% shouldn't i have seen some benefit in my wages? This is my second pay month and all i have seen is that my tax status changes to W because i lose the home carers credit for my wife going to work and my my total take home is down by €80 to repay that credit...Anyone know what is going on here?

W means weak 1 month 1 ie only the tax credits for the payment period are allocated to a months payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Can you explain what that means?

Advertisement